Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Good 10k Races on in May??

• 23-04-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Anyone know of any? A link would be great.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a look here: RacePix365

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

The Bhaa have a 10k on in May - thinks its around the Intel campus http://bhaa.ie/evlist/event.php?eid=20100410140824976&ts=0&range=2

Here is the boards link to the race from last year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055288369&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Calcutta Run 10k on the 15th at 2pm in D7/Phoenix Park i think.

The Law Society run it so its will be on their website which is www.lawsociety.ie i think

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

10km in Wicklow Town 22nd May

www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

Scenic course - plenty of variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

chinguetti wrote: »

The Law Society run it so its will be on their website which is www.lawsociety.ie i think

http://www.calcuttarun.com/

This is one seems like a great day out, I haven't run it but live right next to the Law Society and there was a great crowd at the race last year and lots of things happening afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Calcutta run was one I was meant to do last year and was injured for. Trying to decide between that and Sportsworld at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is a 5 Mile through Fair City next weekend and a 10km around Intel later in the month. €10, or €15 entry if your not a BHAA member.

www.bhaa.ie

A better value set of races you'll be hard pushed to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

groovyg wrote: »
    The Bhaa have a 10k on in May - thinks its around the Intel campus http://bhaa.ie/evlist/event.php?eid=20100410140824976&ts=0&range=2

Here is the boards link to the race from last year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055288369&page=2

Hi, thanks for the response, forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the BHAA? Is it mainly BHAA member who partivcipate in the events or is there a good proportion of non-mwmbers? Also, is the standard high? I have been running for a year myself but have just recently started running after work with some of my colleagues. We wouldn't be running to compete as such more as something to train for in order to have the personal achievement of running a certain distace (in whatever time, really wouldn't be a concern). Would BHAA races be too competitive for a group like us, essentially 'fun-runners'?

chinguetti wrote: »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.This one looks good but it is a Fundraiser and I am already fundraising for the WMM in June, in these times of recession and all that I wouldn't have the front to canvass for funds for two races esp seeing as they are less than a month apart :eek: !

robinph wrote: »
    There is a 5 Mile through Fair City next weekend and a 10km around Intel later in the month. €10, or €15 entry if your not a BHAA member.

www.bhaa.ie

A better value set of races you'll be hard pushed to find.

Yeah I can seee that they have a lot organised and seem to be a popular choice! Only problem is that, as per my reply to GroovyG, I am not sure if a BHAA-organised race would suit us at the mo!

• Advertisement

eoin ryan wrote: »
    10km in Wicklow Town 22nd May

www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

Scenic course - plenty of variety

Thanks for the link!

This one looks really good and I have suggested it to the group. I'm the only one of the four of us who has ran any road races before so the combo of picturesque scenery + medal + Tech Tee may prove a winner and make it a memorable trip out for those who have never experienced something like it before!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is still only €15 euros for each BHAA race if you are not a member, and I think to become a member is only €15 as well which then gets you entry to the races for only €10. So you only need to be doing three over the year and that becomes worth it and there are races almost every other week through the year, if not more often than that sometimes. As an example of the range taking part, in todays 10k the times ranged from 32 minutes to 69 minutes. Certainly not too competitive for fun runners to join in.

robinph wrote: »
    It is still only €15 euros for each BHAA race if you are not a member, and I think to become a member is only €15 as well which then gets you entry to the races for only €10. So you only need to be doing three over the year and that becomes worth it and there are races almost every other week through the year, if not more often than that sometimes. As an example of the range taking part, in todays 10k the times ranged from 32 minutes to 69 minutes. Certainly not too competitive for fun runners to join in.

Thanks for the info, yes it seems to be really good value and I would look to do one over the summer. Maybe just for this one though I might go with the more expensive Wicklow one that might have more of a sense of occassion for those who have not ran before and the added lure of tshirt and medal to commemorate their first one (I have to admit I'm also a sucker for a medal and/or T-shirt!) I'm personally planning on entering loads of races this summer and so the BHAA ones seem like a far more economical option!!!!

Thanks again, never a shortage of valuable info on this forum that you just couldn't get anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hi Portia, i didn't fundraising for the Calcutta Run last year as was doing the Cork Marathon for Crumlin Children's Hospital 3 weeks later and they didn't say anything to me when i picked up my number. So i wouldn't let that stop you from partaking if the race is something you want to do and the date suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

+1 for Calcutta, it's a super race and I think you can just give them €20 or so if you don't want to fund raise. The BBQ after is great fun too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 tommysparks

do you get a teeshirt if you enter for the calcutta run??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

There is a 6km and a 10km run at Leopardstown racecourse on May 17th.
    http://www.aliveoutside.ie/index.php?id=59&nid=27

Advertisement