Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

Hi there,

The link you posted was to a surround sound system that will only give you true surround sound for the inbuilt DVD player.
    While it would be possible to make sounds from you PS3 come out of the speakers, it would not be surround sound.

You need to find a surround sound system with an optical input if you wish to use it with your PS3.

Tell me your price range and i'll have a look around for something more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Don't forget that if you can get a HDMI, that's better still.

C14N wrote: »
    Don't forget that if you can get a HDMI, that's better still.

Oh ya sorry, he's right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Hi there,

The link you posted was to a surround sound system that will only give you true surround sound for the inbuilt DVD player.
    While it would be possible to make sounds from you PS3 come out of the speakers, it would not be surround sound.

You need to find a surround sound system with an optical input if you wish to use it with your PS3.

Tell me your price range and i'll have a look around for something more suitable.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I probably have around €200 to spend. Can I even get a system for that..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You're going to need a receiver and speakers. You'll need HDMI and or optical. On Pixmania, the one nearest the mark is this one, but it's €269 + delivery.

It has a DVD player as well, but as you have a PS3, you already have a DVD player, so it's overkill.

I'd look at something like the Yamaha at Richersounds with some speakers.

Again, it's over your budget, but pop over to the Richersounds forum on Boards. John might be able to do you a deal or, better again, offer some alternative suggestions.

• Advertisement

padair wrote: »
    Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I probably have around €200 to spend. Can I even get a system for that..?

You'd be lucky to find something good for that price. If you want to get some good surround sound, I'd say save up or buy it bit by bit. You could buy the receiver first, then later if you save up some more you could get two front speakers, a little after you could buy a subwoofer and so on. It would be more expensive in the long run but you'd be paying bit by bit and you could just stop with a receiver and the two fronts and it would still work fine. You'd also have a much better setup than one of the all-in-one boxes.

Alright Folks,
    Being slight lazy here. I did not get a chance to pop over to peats but I might try and get that done during Lunch.

I was having a look at this on Pixmania

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2658782/art/samsung/ht-tz222-home-cinema-syst.html

What I was thinking, I would be able to connect to the PS3 to the DVD player using the optical. Would this give surround sound..?

Ya that would work fine with your ps3 and you would get 5.1 surround sound.

You should be aware that you won't be getting a great system for that price. But it might be just what you're looking for for the moment.

If you just want to experience surround sound playing games and watching movies and aren't too concerned about getting the best sound quality i'd say go for it.
    At that price it's not a terrible deal.

Thanks penguinpoppers,
    I think I am going to invest a little more time into looking before I buy. And as C14N say buy piece by piece and ahve a good system compared to an all in one piece of trash.

Cheers for all of the help folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

shop around and get these cheap. even go second hand. For ease of use and bang for the buck youll be VERY hard pushed to find better

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-021-LG&tool=3

• Advertisement

tc2010 wrote: »
    shop around and get these cheap. even go second hand. For ease of use and bang for the buck youll be VERY hard pushed to find better

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-021-LG&tool=3

Don't those only work with a computer though? I'm not certain but I thought they connect with the 5 different coloured output ports found on soundcards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

the older versions do but the new ones have optical connections and coax.
    Drivers:
    Satellites: 3” polished aluminum phase plug drivers
    Subwoofer: 10” high-excursion ported driver with 6th order bass reflex enclosure
    Surround sound effects
    Hardware decoding:
    Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
    Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
    6 Channel Direct
    Stereo x2
    Stereo
    Supported digital formats:
    Dolby Digital
    DTS and DTS 96/24
    PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bit
    Source Inputs:
    Digital optical for DVD or CD players, PlayStation®2, Xbox®**
    Digital coaxial for DVD or CD players or PC sound cards (requires coaxial cable, sold separately)
    6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards OR
    6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 3 stereo analog mini audio sources, like CD and DVD players, Playstation 2, Xbox, or 2 channel PC sound cards (somedevices may require stereo mini to dual RCA adapter, sold separately)
    Analog stereo-mini (on side panel of control center) for portable CD, MP3,or MiniDisc® players

tc2010 wrote: »
    the older versions do but the new ones have optical connections and coax.

Oh right. That sounds like a good enough option then.

I went for this one in the end.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Onkyo+HT-S5305B

Cheers again for all of the help.

Advertisement