Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography's Longest Exposure

• 23-04-2010 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is probably more suited to OT, but it's amazing.
    Anyone want to show me how to make one, quick??
    World Pinhole Day 2010
    25th of April 2010 Occuring around the planet
    Link

6a00e5502b6df48834010536b40c45970c-800wi
    Six months. That's right. This dream-like picture shows each phase of the sun over Bristol's Clifton Suspension Bridge taken during half a year.

The image was captured on a pin-hole camera made from an empty drinks can with a 0.25mm aperture and a single sheet of photographic paper.

Photographer Justin Quinnell strapped the camera to a telephone pole overlooking the Gorge, where it was left between December 19, 2007 and June 21, 2008--the Winter and Summer solstices.

'Solargraph' shows six months of the sun's luminescent trails and its subtle change of course caused by the earth's movement in orbit. The lowest arc being the first day of exposure on the Winter solstice, while the top curves were captured mid-Summer.

(Dotted lines of light are the result of overcast days when the sun struggled to penetrate the cloud.)

Mr. Quinnell, a renowned pin-hole camera artist, says the photograph took on a personal resonance after his father passed away on April 13--halfway through the exposure. He says the picture allows him to pinpoint the exact location of the sun in the sky at the moment of his father passing.

Link

Artists site

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Fantastic image - great to see low tech solutions like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

A bit of Déjà vu.. But sill amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Tallon wrote: »
    I know this is probably more suited to OT, but it's amazing.
    Anyone want to show me how to make one, quick??

They're not complicated :) Light tight can, a sheet of photo paper that you put into the can, and a pinhole in the opposite surface. Fasten securely to something, come back in 6 months time and take out and scan the paper. As far as I know it prints out so you don't even need to develop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

There's a video on DigitelRev.com where they show how to make a digital pinhole camera. Quite amusing, so check it out if you haven't seen this already. I would post a direct link but am at work and can't access that site on the network here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Dimy wrote: »
    There's a video on DigitelRev.com where they show how to make a digital pinhole camera.

I don't think the batteries would survive the 6 months TBH :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

I don't think the batteries would survive the 6 months TBH :)

and i wouldn't tape a DSRL on a lamppost either :)

but you can do shorter exposures and have some fun. I haven't tried it myself though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good website here, with lots of examples and instructions
    http://www.solargraphy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

bullpost wrote: »
    Fantastic image - great to see slow tech solutions like these.

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

Good website here, with lots of examples and instructions
    http://www.solargraphy.com

Got a camera sent to me via these chaps (if you dont feel confident/cant find the supplies locally is a good option to take).

Just waiting for it to "develop" now which is going to take awhile....hopefully its not robbed by a bird or something in the meantime

Advertisement