Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you swap council houses?

• 23-04-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been living in my council house here in the city for around 7 years. About 3 years ago, we started having problems with a certain (well known) family on the estate.

So far, their kids have broken into our house, vandalising it and killing the kids' pet goldfish, stolen bikes from our back garden, thrown eggs at our house, give our daughters constant verbal abuse to the point they barely go outside anymore and it culminated yesterday when their scummer of a daughter kicked my daughter in the stomach.

Now, there's only so much I can take and I gave out stink to her and threatened to call the police on her if she touched my daughter again. Suffice it to say, her mother took umbridge at this telling off and stormed up to my house to threaten me with violence if I ever went near her little darling any more.

I can't count the number of times I've had to deal with sh!t from this particular family and to make matters worse, in their infinite wisdom, the city council decided to put a family of settled travellers next door to me - the best part is, they're related to the same family and their kids have now started on my daughters too. It's a total nightmare.

I've reported the incident to the anti social behaviour unit, but have told them I don't want them to tell the family in question about my complaint, as I believe it would only escalate the abuse and harrassment. I've already been threatened with having my house burnt down, my kids beaten up and my car stolen and burnt out.
    I reported the break-in to the police at the time and they organised a liaison officer to get the families in question to cough up a small amount of compo for the stuff they stole and destroyed, but we got a load of abuse from extended members of their family afterwards and it seems no matter what we do, this family don't intend to stop hasseling us any time soon. My kids are in an awful state, at this stage and I just want to get out now.

Anyway, to cut to the main question, I was just wondering if there is an option to privately swap your council house with another council tenant, as it doesn't seem the council will rehouse me if I'm not willing to make an official statement.
    If you agree to swap houses, do the council allow it or are you at risk of losing your house altogether? I've looked at the council's website and there's no info about house swaps at all.

Has anyone else here had any experience of house swaps, or any information on it?

Much thanks - sorry for the long post :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Bloody hell that sounds like a nightmare. Hope things work out for you and your kids in the near future. Sorry I dont have any council housing advice or experience to pass onto you.

Have you approached any local councilors or TDs?
    If so where they helpful or evasive?

- BFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Go to your local TD maybe? Or contact the coucil and tell them and start making a note of every incident (tine,date,witnesses)

good luck,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyway, to cut to the main question, I was just wondering if there is an option to privately swap your council house with another council tenant, as it doesn't seem the council will rehouse me if I'm not willing to make an official statement.
    If you agree to swap houses, do the council allow it or are you at risk of losing your house altogether? I've looked at the council's website and there's no info about house swaps at all.

Why don't you make an official statement?
    Surely if things are that bad the council need to be officially notified and complaints lodged including your requirments to move home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why don't you make an official statement?
    Surely if things are that bad the council need to be officially notified and complaints lodged including your requirments to move home

I have notified them, but I don't want them to start proceedings against the family in question, as I truly fear the repercussions. It's kinda hard to explain if you're not in the situation, but this family could make our lives even more of a misery if took it any further and cowardly as it may seem, my family's safety is of paramount importance to me.
    We've already been threatened by members of their extended family (not living on this estate) and I don't want to wait and see if they're all talk or not, frankly.

I haven't been to my TD yet and it's definitely an avenue I'll follow up. There's also an estate officer who has a clinic on certain days of the month, though I'm not sure when, and I'll ask him for advice as well.

I guess, I was just curious to see if anyone had any experience of council house swaps, as it seems the fastest, easiest option for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I cannot understand how as a society we have become so soft on scumbags!! As the OP suggested there seems to be a family of them. If they were a breed of dogs they would either be put down or muzzled!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I cannot understand how as a society we have become so soft on scumbags!! As the OP suggested there seems to be a family of them. If they were a breed of dogs they would either be put down or muzzled!!

I Blame the Politicaly Correct Brigade for this

its about time we stop pandering to every minority and start protecting the majority

anyone fancy creating a new Political Party with a view to fighting the next Gerneral Election??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The liklihood of a swap isn't great, IMO. Nobody else would be prepared to put up with the problems your experiencing either, I'd imagine.

Your best bet would be to apply for a "transfer" to another estate, if you can. You'd need to get in touch with the Housing office in Waterford and have a chat about it. Going to the local estate office is definitely a good idea as well. They might be in a position to vouch for your situation should the need arise.

The "easiest" option, of course is to move out - but that would mean making yourself - in the opinion of the Housing Authority" - "Intentionally homeless", and they would have no obligation to rehouse you. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If you do get a transfer it would be funny if their house went on fire when you left.
    Did you get any of this abuse on camera or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Really sorry to hear about that. Makes what I have had to put up with recently pale in comparison. I really do hope you have something done for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote: »

its about time we stop pandering to every minority and start protecting the majority

anyone fancy creating a new Political Party with a view to fighting the next Gerneral Election??

It's another kind of 'organisation' I'd create. If you got every good and decent family being harassed by scumbags together, send all the lads up the mountains with bats and various assorted implements for training and bonding sessions, then you'd have a group capable of putting these scumbag families firmly back in their boxes. I'm beginning to think that unless there is a degree of vigilanteism in society the cops will never be embarrassed into getting off their holes and doing something.

The cops and the government are operating on the basis that as long as there are only a small number of isolated victims, they can turn a blind eye to this disgraceful behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

feckin scumbags!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

merlante wrote: »
    It's another kind of 'organisation' I'd create. If you got every good and decent family being harassed by scumbags together, send all the lads up the mountains with bats and various assorted implements for training and bonding sessions, then you'd have a group capable of putting these scumbag families firmly back in their boxes. I'm beginning to think that unless there is a degree of vigilanteism in society the cops will never be embarrassed into getting off their holes and doing something.

The cops and the government are operating on the basis that as long as there are only a small number of isolated victims, they can turn a blind eye to this disgraceful behaviour.

I'm with you on that. Maybe the boards football team can just be a front ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Get yer man from Sinn Fein on it .... maybe they can finally be useful for something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Triona23

The "easiest" option, of course is to move out - but that would mean making yourself - in the opinion of the Housing Authority" - "Intentionally homeless", and they would have no obligation to rehouse you. I kid you not.[/QUOTE]

If you havent left your house intentionally but have been driven from your home by continual harrassement and your children's safety is at risk, surely the council needs to take your situation seriously. Most council estates have about 90% decent families but the 10% who aren't can make life hell for people. The decent families need to show a firm united front to these families, and let them know that their behaviour is being watched and filmed, and will be dealt with, and the council should be looking at taking their houses off them, and rehousing them in solitude up the mountains somewhere!!icon8.gif

The liklihood of a swap isn't great, IMO. Nobody else would be prepared to put up with the problems your experiencing either, I'd imagine.

Your best bet would be to apply for a "transfer" to another estate, if you can. You'd need to get in touch with the Housing office in Waterford and have a chat about it. Going to the local estate office is definitely a good idea as well. They might be in a position to vouch for your situation should the need arise.

The "easiest" option, of course is to move out - but that would mean making yourself - in the opinion of the Housing Authority" - "Intentionally homeless", and they would have no obligation to rehouse you. I kid you not.

I'll definitely enquire about the transfer thing when I talk to the estate officer. Seems like the next best option. Sometimes, though, the council can really drag their feet when it comes to this sort of thing.

As I write, the scummer who assaulted my daughter is jumping up and down in my front garden, laughing and running out continuously, trying to goad me. This is really wearing me down now.

Why don't the council take more care when housing some of these families? I mean,the vast majority of tenants living here are lovely, decent people. It's just the same few families who keep ruining it for everyone. The council know who they are....why not just house them all in their own little ghetto somewhere??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I think the PC Brigade should swap houses with this lady.
    Then we will see how PC they really are. It will never happen of course, but would make a great reality show :D

idea for a solution to anti social behaviour.....
    I've always thought a good idea that the gardai could do as an initiative is have a mobile base unit (prefab or something) that they could position in an estate in eye sight of difficult families houses. The unit could be used as a base unit for a few garda cars where they could have their tea breaks and do there office work, but at the same time been clearly seen in an area. The more cops you have using this temp station the better, so it is always manned and doesn't stop the gardas from doing other work since they would use it as a temp base and the gardas would rotate on a rooster what days they would be stationed there as a base station. The temp base with 3 garda cars using as a base would definitely act as a deterrent and would give piece of mind to the locals been terrorised. This would piss off the offending families and intimidate their movements and acts. This is what is needed.
    I think Waterford City Gardai should pilot such an idea for 6 months to see if it would be effective or not.

Good idea or not? I think I will mention it to anyone who comes canvasing to me next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Then we will see how PC they really are. It will never happen of course, but would make a great reality show :D

I've always thought a good idea that the gardai could do as an initiative is have a mobile base unit (prefab or something) that they could position in an estate in eye sight of difficult families houses. The unit could be used as a base unit for a few garda cars where they could have their tea breaks and do there office work, but at the same time been clearly seen in an area. The more cops you have using this temp station the better, so it is always manned and doesn't stop the gardas from doing other work since they would use it as a temp base and the gardas would rotate on a rooster what days they would be stationed there as a base station. The temp base with 3 garda cars using as a base would definitely act as a deterrent and would give piece of mind to the locals been terrorised. This would piss off the offending families and intimidate their movements and acts. This is what is needed.
    I think Waterford City Gardai should pilot such an idea for 6 months to see if it would be effective or not.

Good idea or not? I think I will mention it to anyone who comes canvasing to me next.

Not a bad idea but would need to be manned 24/7 or it would be burned to the ground in some estates ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I hate hearing stories like this as so often nothing is done. As for starting a new political party? Only a vigilante party would do a good job in my opinion. People like this need to be physically kicked out the estate. It's the only thing they seem to understand unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

The action you should take is as follows;

1--contact the garda station EVERY time an incident occurs (this is essential)
    2--log all incidents and give a copy to housing section of council on a monthly basis
    3-- contact a TD/Councillor that will listen to you and then act on your behalf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Hi all,

I have been living in my council house here in the city for around 7 years. About 3 years ago, we started having problems with a certain (well known) family on the estate.

So far, their kids have broken into our house, vandalising it and killing the kids' pet goldfish, stolen bikes from our back garden, thrown eggs at our house, give our daughters constant verbal abuse to the point they barely go outside anymore and it culminated yesterday when their scummer of a daughter kicked my daughter in the stomach.

Now, there's only so much I can take and I gave out stink to her and threatened to call the police on her if she touched my daughter again. Suffice it to say, her mother took umbridge at this telling off and stormed up to my house to threaten me with violence if I ever went near her little darling any more.

I can't count the number of times I've had to deal with sh!t from this particular family and to make matters worse, in their infinite wisdom, the city council decided to put a family of settled travellers next door to me - the best part is, they're related to the same family and their kids have now started on my daughters too. It's a total nightmare.

I've reported the incident to the anti social behaviour unit, but have told them I don't want them to tell the family in question about my complaint, as I believe it would only escalate the abuse and harrassment. I've already been threatened with having my house burnt down, my kids beaten up and my car stolen and burnt out.
    I reported the break-in to the police at the time and they organised a liaison officer to get the families in question to cough up a small amount of compo for the stuff they stole and destroyed, but we got a load of abuse from extended members of their family afterwards and it seems no matter what we do, this family don't intend to stop hasseling us any time soon. My kids are in an awful state, at this stage and I just want to get out now.

Has anyone else here had any experience of house swaps, or any information on it?

There was a family around my area that were about to evicted for anti social behavior and they set fire to their house before eviction so the council had to give them another house. Dunno if they got away with it.

If you try evict them some other unlucky git will have them( I wouldnt care myself). Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

:rolleyes:
    I think you'll find the Politically Correct Brigade would support the OP rather than her scumbag neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Gurgle wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    I think you'll find the Politically Correct Brigade would support the OP rather than her scumbag neighbours.

I think you'll find that what was being implied was that thanks to some politcal correctness gone mad we are more and more heading into a situation where the criminals are having an easier time of it than the victims.

Great idea! However, as it involves common sense, I doubt any politician would put it forward........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

2--log all incidents and give a copy to housing section of council on a monthly basis
    3-- contact a TD/Councillor that will listen to you and then act on your behalf!

great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The problem, as I see it, is not that the cops couldn't stop all this very quickly if they put their minds to it, it's that they don't want to kick off a hornets nest of knackers v cops that is going to take up 90% of their time into the future, and possibly create no-go areas for the gards. They'll also complain that they are underfunded, etc.

It's an Irish solution to an Irish problem. Leave the knackers do what they want unless they get too out of hand, that way you preserve a semblance of order whilst giving the scumbags the impression that they are the boss. Like a backhanded kind of respect in return for relative peace (for all but a few unfortunates who will find no real help). How often have we heard the phrase "he was known to the gardai"? They know every last one of them, but they won't do a thing unless they have the evidence to put them away on something.

Cast your mind back to the incident with the travellers on the ORR. They spent a pile of cash just sitting around making sure nobody got killed. If 10 scumbags were breaking into your house, they'd be along an hour and a half late, but if the travellers start killing each other and there's a risk of negative national media exposure, it's all hands on deck. It's all about appearances. If it was any other country, those travellers would have been dealt with very quickly, and there'd be no farcical story in the News & Star featuring two travellers shaking hands promising to end the war, as if this peace treaty was the only force on earth that could have ended the bloody mayhem. They gards don't seem to "do" police work as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

comeraghs wrote: »
    Get yer man from Sinn Fein on it .... maybe they can finally be useful for something!
    Actually that is not a bad idea. SF lads have a nice way of sorting our anti social behaviour. Sometime the right form of words is all is required. Cops are a waste of time unfortunately as they are happier getting their subsidised snack boxes down at the apple market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

No1 Contact the Gardai immediately and tell them to help you.
    No2.. Yes and in the meantime she is harrassed even further. This poor woman is desperate and needs help now and not in 6 months time.
    No3 Contact David Cullinahane SF representative. No TD in Waterford is worth a damn and they could not care less anyway and have no influence with the city housing office nor should they have.
    This lady needs the help she is entitled to and the housing office should be reported to the papers and named and shamed if they do not give immediate assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Actually that is not a bad idea. SF lads have a nice way of sorting our anti social behaviour. Sometime the right form of words is all is required. Cops are a waste of time unfortunately as they are happier getting their subsidised snack boxes down at the apple market.

ya might find the cops useless but it might come in handy having incident reports when going to look for a transfer ;p

What ya need to do really though is. Tie a fiver to a piece of string. When one of them goes to pick it up, you drag the string so they follow the fiver. eventually they will walk into your legs, you're hiding around a corner BTW. When they bump into you all you need to do is stab him/her in the stomach and twist. Leave them squirm for a minute then finish em off with a slice of the throat. Replace the m,oney back on the footpath and keep doing this until you have a pile of scumbags chopped up beside you. Start posting bits back to their mother each day with little warnings.

;) sorry. Im bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi all,

i thought the council has an automatic right to throw out unruly tenants, this looks like a case for that, although these are not tenants they are animals,
    guess it will be hard to get a swap
    no one will want your neighbour, i most certainly would not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

goat2 wrote: »
    i thought the council has an automatic right to throw out unruly tenants, this looks like a case for that, although these are not tenants they are animals,
    guess it will be hard to get a swap
    no one will want your neighbour, i most certainly would not

Why should we be discussing a transfer (the victim should move). Put the scum out on the road!!!!

Advertisement