Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS apprentices overpaid!!

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Could somebody please tell me why students attending their FAS 10 week phases are getting upwards of €500 to €650 a week whilst there? I'm a student myself, so it irritates me to see guys of my age who are getting trained for their future proffesion just like the rest of us students getting so much money!! Is their genuinely a reason for this because I can't work it out!! I'm not complaining about them getting money and us not, I don't think students are supposed to have money, thats the way it is!! But its irritating when we put in 4 continous years of difficult education at our own expense that these boys who have either been getting paid by their employer or the state up till then, go on their phase in the big bad city and let loose by spending €200 on a night out!!
    If the government are looking to cut spending, cut it here, give them €100 - €200 a week whilst in college, better yet give em nothing and make them save a few euro every week from their hard earned cash or hand outs!
    I don't have anything against FAS apprentices, many of my friends are but even they think its too much, but why would they say anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

mikeyj wrote: »
    Could somebody please tell me why students attending their FAS 10 week phases are getting upwards of €500 to €650 a week whilst there? ?

Were did you hear this, if its true its a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

What about Fas WPP scheme where the salary is a big fat ZERO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Apprentices are paid by their employer during those phases afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 muffin ear

they only get paid that much during their last phase and why shouldn't they get it when they pay over 100euro a week in tax for the other 42 weeks of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Apprentices are paid by their employer during those phases afaik.
    Not true .They are paid by FAS, Ph6 app will take home approx €550 pw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

muffin ear wrote: »
    they only get paid that much during their last phase and why shouldn't they get it when they pay over 100euro a week in tax for the other 42 weeks of the year
    LOL, because the country is in debt up to its ears and shouldnt be paying apprentices crazy money for education, it should be the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

LOL, because the country is in debt up to its ears and shouldnt be paying apprentices crazy money for education, it should be the other way around!

Same for all forms of third level :)

muffin ear wrote: »
    I agree alot of them are owed money from dodgy employers who are in trouble thenselves and using the apps for cheap labour....if they leave the employer can inform FAS and ruin their chances of finishing their trade.

And as a student (i assume), how much tax do you pay?

How would you feel if you worked full time and then were forced to earn €200/week for 2 and a half months? I see no problem with them continuing to get a full wage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

i think that adaqute i would'nt begrudge them the money to be honest if anyone thinks there overpaid why dont you become a apprentice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

This was the case when I was in college also, I lived with a guy who was doing an apprenticeship in the FAS training centre, he was getting over 500 a week (2002), I was astounded, he was on the p**s all the time and regularly made fun of us suckers in UCC who never had money (in a joking way). Never really saw much justification for paying students such an outrageous amount of money, they should get a living allowance amounting to no more than the dole, although the amount of apprentices has fallen dramatically now so i guess whats the point in changing it. Nice to know our 1bn a year FAS spend is being put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeyj

And as a student (i assume), how much tax do you pay?

How would you feel if you worked full time and then were forced to earn €200/week for 2 and a half months? I see no problem with them continuing to get a full wage tbh.

I'm a student, I worked for 12 months beween first and second year and went back to earning nothing! I didn't expect anything else because that was the system that was there for me. If the system changes they will adapt! They are getting trained for their future career and getting paid ridicoulus amounts of money for it!
    There are people saying students should pay for their education themselves, how is it that FAS students feel they deserve to be paid themselves to be educated?

I'm a student, I worked for 12 months beween first and second year and went back to earning nothing! I didn't expect anything else because that was the system that was there for me. If the system changes they will adapt! They are getting trained for their future career and getting paid ridicoulus amounts of money for it!
    There are people saying students should pay for their education themselves, how is it that FAS students feel they deserve to be paid themselves to be educated?
    It's part of their job. It's what they have to do. If my employer tried to send me away for 10 weeks and give me a pay cut at the same time I'd tell them to go fúck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There are other examples. I believe youth reach centers pay their students to attend.

It's part of their job. It's what they have to do. If my employer tried to send me away for 10 weeks and give me a pay cut at the same time I'd tell them to go fúck themselves.
    Are you taking the p**s? They are apprentices, they are not qualified, if they don't want to get qualified then they don't have to go away to train, but why should the taxpayer fund them to the tune of 650 a week for a 10 week drinking binge. Anything in this life that is worth doing is difficult and I can't believe the neck of people who are always looking for something for nothing. Let them tell their employer to f**k off as you suggest, see where that gets them.

I say let them get a decent few weeks pay while they are there!Most of them are getting screwed by their employers and will face emigration when they finish the trade! What about the FAS instructor on full pay even though the classes are empty???

If your employer wants to pay you, I've no problem with that but don't expect the state to pay for your training. If you want a full qualification you will still attend even if you only got a fraction of the current rate. Nobody deserves to be spoonfed for their entire lives, a bit of 'hardship' might make them appreciate their job more.
    People in this country need to stop being so selfish and look at the bigger picture!!

mickeyk wrote: »
    Are you taking the p**s? They are apprentices, they are not qualified, if they don't want to get qualified then they don't have to go away to train, but why should the taxpayer fund them to the tune of 650 a week for a 10 week drinking binge. Anything in this life that is worth doing is difficult and I can't believe the neck of people who are always looking for something for nothing. Let them tell their employer to f**k off as you suggest, see where that gets them.
    Do you piss & moan this much in college? At least be honest about why you're positing, you don't feel bad for the tax payer, you're just jealous because you're not getting paid.

Once again, they are working a full time job, these phases are just part of the job that they are paid for. And they only get this kind of money in phase 6 of their apprenticeship. And it's not €650 either, according to the fas website the max they would get is €550 depending on the apprenticeship.

If your employer wants to pay you, I've no problem with that but don't expect the state to pay for your training. If you want a full qualification you will still attend even if you only got a fraction of the current rate. Nobody deserves to be spoonfed for their entire lives, a bit of 'hardship' might make them appreciate their job more.
    People in this country need to stop being so selfish and look at the bigger picture!!
    WTF are you talking about? A bit of hardship? You're a fúcking student ffs, you won't ever have it so easy!

Do you know anyone who has actually done an apprenticeship? My best mate did, he worked 12 hours a day 6 days per week, and that's a good week. He got shít money for the first couple of years and was treated like absolute shíte by his employer.

Do you piss & moan this much in college? At least be honest about why you're positing, you don't feel bad for the tax payer, you're just jealous because you're not getting paid.

Once again, they are working a full time job, these phases are just part of the job that they are paid for. And they only get this kind of money in phase 6 of their apprenticeship. And it's not €650 either, according to the fas website the max they would get is €550 depending on the apprenticeship.

Jesus how could anyone survive on 550 a week?!!

• Advertisement

Who said I am not getting paid this was seven years ago, I am long finished college, and if you can't see why people may have a problem with trainees getting paid over 500 a week when we are cutting the dole and removing SNA's from schools then you are not worth replying to. Phase of the job my a**e, they are students, unqualified and should get a cost of living allowance and no more, yet another example of FAS p**sing away taxpayers money, they should shut that rotten organisation down and start agin from the ground up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deegantbay

go serve your time and ul find out very fast how hard it is to earn the little that you get for the hard work u got to do . if I can remember the rate is below minimum wage for the first two years

edit: damn those similar usernames

deegantbay wrote: »
    go serve your time and ul find out very fast how hard it is to earn the little that you get for the hard work u got to do . if I can remember the rate is below minimum wage for the first two years
    For the first two years they need more or less full-time on the job supervision, as they are not qualified, they should be grateful for getting paid at all, in any case we are talking about being paid 500+ when doing the FAS training in the centre, not what they are paid by their employer for the first two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

im on a fas course at the moment and next door the lads are doing there third electrican phase they work hard for there money everyone should leave them alone they deserve it

mickeyk wrote: »
    For the first two years they need more or less full-time on the job supervision, as they are not qualified, they should be grateful for getting paid at all, in any case we are talking about being paid 500+ when doing the FAS training in the centre, not what they are paid by their employer for the first two years.
    You've got issues man, have you spoken to a professional?

You've got issues man, have you spoken to a professional?
    Wow what a convincing argument :rolleyes:

500 on there final phase. If you think there lucky to get paid in the first 2 years because they need supervising you sir are an idiot they are worked like dogs the first 2 years

• Advertisement

deegantbay wrote: »
    500 on there final phase. If you think there lucky to get paid in the first 2 years because they need supervising you sir are an idiot they are worked like dogs the first 2 years
    I also said I had no issue with what they are paid by their employer for the first two years, go back and read my post slowly, I know it is difficult :)

Advertisement