Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland 7 arrests this am

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

News from limerick leader, someone else will have to post link.
    Gardai were busy at work this am,
    Hope they lock them all up and throw away the key! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I was going through the city early this morning and noticed a lot of Garda activity alright.

They have one these "shows of force" every few months. I wonder if there'll be full page photos of the raids in one of the Sunday red tops?

Rarely does anything stick, hopefully this time will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They will be all released I'd say this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

yip on the way into work i passed 3 aru units 2 paddy wagons 1 mini bus a k9 unit ( i tink) and 4 squad cars all togehter....and thought to myself.....someones getting an ass whooping this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Seven of those detained are being questioned under the new gangland legislation introduced last year. They can be held for up to a week if necessary
    From the rte.ie report. They might not be getting out quite as quickly as they expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

this will be a test of the new legislation. it will be a case of schit or get off the pot, i wonder will we have a news release from him with the dandruff shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

If it was any of the big boys brought in we'd have heard about it by now. Probably just the usual slew of low ranking lackies.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I think its amazying 130 gardai for 8 arrests...
    Time will tell, if it was a publicity stunt hopefully not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Hopefully with that amount of guards its the big boys theyre after. Its great to see em gettin tough with these f**Ks at last. Was a drug raid in a house up the road from me a couple of days ago. 4 or 5 drugs squad involved.1 man led away.Not in Limerick BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Usually the posts are along the lines of "the guards do nothing", now it's "too many of them are arresting people"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

concussion wrote: »
    Usually the posts are along the lines of "the guards do nothing", now it's "too many of them are arresting people"
    Your right. But the more guards in these areas where crime is rife the better I think. And when theres that amount of guards involved it sends out a serious message. People have had enough of these scumbags.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not sure who got arrested yet, but I hear the cops are absolutely intent on closing down the gangs this time - and will do whatever is necessary to do so.

Furthermore I understand the Gardai have a high ranking gangbanger who has turned evidence.

We'll see what develops.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

concussion wrote: »

Way to twist things there. I reckon people are more concerned with why they are sending 130 people to arrest 8. Sixteen guards to every one arrest?! The thugs must be laughing! If they used their resources correctly, they'd be making eight arrests per day not once in a blue moon and the scum would have been off the streets by now. I don't see why they should be applauded for this, it's called doing their job. Which is what everyone in gainful employment is expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Way to twist things there. I reckon people are more concerned with why they are sending 130 people to arrest 8. Sixteen guards to every one arrest?! The thugs must be laughing! If they used their resources correctly, they'd be making eight arrests per day not once in a blue moon and the scum would have been off the streets by now. I don't see why they should be applauded for this, it's called doing their job. Which is what everyone in gainful employment is expected to do.

Boy , you havent a clue how the Gardai work in those situations.

Boy , you havent a clue how the Gardai work in those situations.

Unfortunately I know all too well about the inner workings of the Gardai Kristopherus so I wouldn't go making mindless assumptions if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Unfortunately I know all too well about the inner workings of the Gardai Kristopherus so I wouldn't go making mindless assumptions if I were you

From inside the counter or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

:D you must be the ex minister for defence.

From inside the counter or outside?

Politely, that is none of your business. But please don't some assume ignorance on the basis that someone has a different opinion to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

id say they need that amount of guards ro carry out the searches, these fellas dont hide anything in their houses but may have their drugs/weapons hid around the area so the guards are probably searching waste land in areas near these fellas houses so in that respect 130 may even be too small, there not there to carry out the actual arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Em, do you realise how long it would take to search each house/area without large numbers of Gardai? It takes incredibly long to get into the position where you can make arrests if you want the charges to stick in these scenarios, that's why they can't arrest 8 every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Way to twist things there. I reckon people are more concerned with why they are sending 130 people to arrest 8. Sixteen guards to every one arrest?!
    Have you ever seen a strong unarmed man really struggling with police? It can easily take four to restrain him without risking serious injury to either party (and I've seen teams of four struggle too). Police forces everywhere have found that overwhelming numbers make raids much safer, both for police and suspects.

So how many people would you send to knock down a door containing an unknown number of people linked to organised crime and known to carry arms?

That's ignoring all of the manpower needed outside of the raiding teams - surveillance, searching the premises, collecting evidence, taking statements, all that jazz.
    If they used their resources correctly, they'd be making eight arrests per day not once in a blue moon and the scum would have been off the streets by now.
    If they made eight arrests per day, the gangs could quit crime and live off their harassment claims. You need evidence to arrest people, which is thin on the ground when witnesses are being shot.
    I don't see why they should be applauded for this, it's called doing their job. Which is what everyone in gainful employment is expected to do.
    My employer doesn't expect me to storm the houses of armed criminals, or get shot at while patrolling. Just to illustrate, here's what they found when they came knocking a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ligind

This has all the appearance of a pr excercise.

I think we all understand that to make cases stick against the main players requires careful policework and you can only make arrests when you have gathered the evidence.

The problem I have is that while this is going on lots of the junior scum bags are running around causing problems virtually unimpeded so by the time the guards make the big time arrests there is another generation ready to step in and take over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ligind wrote: »
    This has all the appearance of a pr excercise.

I think we all understand that to make cases stick against the main players requires careful policework and you can only make arrests when you have gathered the evidence.

The problem I have is that while this is going on lots of the junior scum bags are running around causing problems virtually unimpeded so by the time the guards make the big time arrests there is another generation ready to step in and take over.

I agree with your 3rd paragraph, but this is no PR exercise.

The cops have got a new line of evidence - someone very much on the inside has turned I'm hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The cops have got a new line of evidence - someone very much on the inside has turned I'm hearing.

That would be interesting if it turns out to be true.. A twist this story has yet to produce..

i live directly across the road from one of the houses raided yesterday morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stab*City wrote: »
    i live directly across the road from one of the houses raided yesterday morning..

So you live in one of Dooradoyle/Ballinacurra Gardens/Ballinacurra Road/Hyde Road/Lenihan Avenue/Weston then.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Way to twist things there. I reckon people are more concerned with why they are sending 130 people to arrest 8. Sixteen guards to every one arrest?!

8 people in several different buildings, each in the company of an unknown number of people. As has been said, you need a restrain those eventually arrested as well as anyone else obstructing you and in addition you need search teams, command and control, possibly a cordon (well, several cordons) and a reserve to move to any trouble spots. Maybe they should have sent a car to each address and politely asked them to put some cuffs on?

Stab*City wrote: »
    That would be interesting if it turns out to be true.. A twist this story has yet to produce..

It's true ok. Confirmed. The name of the individual was in the papers recently too.

It's true ok. Confirmed. The name of the individual was in the papers recently too.

Link?

• Advertisement

Information and evidence is gathered mainly prior to arrests. It's what prompts the arrest to take place. Evidence gathered during an arrest would be mainly supplementary. An arrest is just the formal procedure of taking somebody in for questioning on suspicion of them being in breach of legislation. Often when a lot of the hard work has already been completed.

Daveharnett, statements would be taken at the station, not at the scene and are often taken on a one-to-one basis with occassionally two Gardai present. Evidence is also thin on the ground because the Gardai won't exhaust all their means of looking for it. Convictions can be made on the basis of circumstantial evidence too you know, which often has more impact than the anecdotal evidence supplied by witnesses. Gardai do expect to make raids and be shot at, it's the nature of their job which they are made fully aware of before they choose to pursue this type of career. Gangs don't exist in this town solely for financial gain Dave nor would they voluntarily 'quit crime' to live on claims if there were 8 arrests made per day. They should be forced to quit crime by being systematically arrested and imprisoned for consistently breaking the law.

Concussion, arrests made during raids are usually best executed when done discreetly and without pomp or ceremony attached to cordons. The merits of stealth in these situations are widely acclaimed.

As another poster has already mentioned, deploying large amounts of Garda resources to focus on singular incidences allows further crime to go unnoticed and paves the way for the next generation while all the Gardai are busy pursuing a handful of perpetrators. An exercise in futility basically and a largely uneffective means of tackling widespread crime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement