Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resit Assessments - Late Submission (Help!)

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey, I'm having a major problem here, I have a school of History resit essay due in today, all was going fine and I was just about done when the computer I was using shut down/crashed, was an old enough PC so have lost over 1/2 of my 4000 word essay, due today so no hope of getting it back. What I'm wondering is, even though it's not ideal, can you submit resit essays late? My gut feeling is no but I'm hoping I'm wrong....if anyone could let me know it'd be brill, having a serious panic here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd imagine it depends on the module coordinater.
    I'd just ask someone who knows, if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Are you sure it's lost? Assuming you were using MS Word, try the following: before starting Word again, look in your data directory for any temporary files (with TMP) in the name, with the time on them close to the time of the crash. Copy them to a safe location, and open the copies in Notepad. You may see large chunks of your work in there, which can be copied to another document.

Word should offer you some recovery options next time you start it, too - depending on the state at the time of the crash. But there is no reason why you should lose all your work in a crash, not with USB keys so cheap and with free instant backups available, like Dropbox (see below). If I may be blunt: if I was your lecturer I would not believe that you lost so much of your work in a crash. Even if you don't use Word's auto-save options, how hard is it to hit Ctrl-S every so often? :confused:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement