Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday Spin 25/4/2010

• 23-04-2010 11:38am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and The Claw had planned on doing the Orwell Randonee this Sunday, which has now been cancelled. Instead we're planning on a longish spin through Wicklow, taking in the Sally Gap, Djouce and the Wicklow Gap. We'll be kicking off at 9am from under the Luas bridge in Dundrum and stopping for half an hour of a sandwich in Laragh. Route here. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Back in time for LBL?
    ES coverage starts at 13.15.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Back in time for LBL?
    ES coverage starts at 13.15.

In theory we could make it, but you know yourself, these spins always take longer than you expect. I'm taping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Orwell Randonee was my intended Sunday spin too, so I might join ye on this, depending on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I'm up for this but i'll probably meet you at that carpark where the Cruagh Rd. meets Kilakee Rd. Theres a sort of hairpin bend in the road there... I'm cycling in from Saggart direction, into Tallaght then up past the Hellfire club.

Will there be a boardie jersey present so i can spot ya's???

I'll be in pink so it'll be hard to miss me! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

What kind of pace you guys do on this sort of route? I'm assuming the pace on BRT is wrong.
    I'll probably be interesting in coming along too. Means getting up at 7am though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

I'd love to.

(but I'm going to be in Majorca doing my Sunday spin with King Kelly himself instead)

:D

Ryaner wrote: »
    What kind of pace you guys do on this sort of route? I'm assuming the pace on BRT is wrong.
    I'll probably be interesting in coming along too. Means getting up at 7am though :(

Usually end up with 27kph average on a spin like that. I'll be riding over from Raheny direction assuming I go.
    I'd love to.

(but I'm going to be in Majorca doing my Sunday spin with King Kelly himself instead)

Mad jealous! Hope it's fun :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ryaner wrote: »

It depends on who shows up really as we'll essentially be moving at the pace of the slowest rider. But 25kph is usually what I'd expect
    I'd love to.

When Kelly is putting the hurt on you, you'll be wishing you were in Wicklow instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I'd love to.

Sounds interesting, mind putting up a report after and maybe the details now?

Thanks

Usually end up with 27kph average on a spin like that. I'll be riding over from Raheny direction assuming I go.

Mad jealous! Hope it's fun :)

Excellent. Count me in so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

The Galway Cycle crew are planning a ride through the hills as well.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/wicklow mountains/247127201536110309

We might meet on the road, exchange nods and all that.

Keep yer eyes open for the peeps in the Pink GC jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I'm in. NB don't think (know I'm not) up for the projected pace, but I'll bring along a buddy who's nearly as slow as me so you can drop me without remorse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I was looking forward to the Orwell gig,so count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wobbits

Sounds good to me also

SMacX wrote: »
    The Galway Cycle crew are planning a ride through the hills as well.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/wicklow mountains/247127201536110309

We might meet on the road, exchange nods and all that.

Keep yer eyes open for the peeps in the Pink GC jerseys.

I thought all you guys were doing a triathlon in Maynooth on Sunday? Was gonna head out with Kevin and Farouk and the lads but apparently doing lengths in a pool followed by cycling and running is better than a spin up round the mountains.....

Anyways i'll be proudly sporting my GC pink fabulousness on Sunday so i'll keep an eye out for yiz. Must head out next week with the GC crew if you're doing a spin! Miss you guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

would love to join lads
    never on a boards spin, but had my few beers tonight so be fresh on sunday morning
    some good fitness after 4 months commuting so should last the pace
    would like to make back for LBL also, so assume no more than 100k

be heading from drumcondra if anyone wants a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Will try and tag on with yee at Topaz on Edmonstown road, dont forget to organise the weather;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

tomc wrote: »
    Will try and tag on with yee at Topaz on Edmonstown road, dont forget to organise the weather;)

Hi what time will that be at then eh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

leftism wrote: »
    I thought all you guys were doing a triathlon in Maynooth on Sunday? Was gonna head out with Kevin and Farouk and the lads but apparently doing lengths in a pool followed by cycling and running is better than a spin up round the mountains.....

Anyways i'll be proudly sporting my GC pink fabulousness on Sunday so i'll keep an eye out for yiz. Must head out next week with the GC crew if you're doing a spin! Miss you guys!

I'll be with the GC crew wearing my boards jersey, maybe we can swap jerseys in the middle of the road:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Um, looks like I'll be there and will have Forza Milo in tow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Sunday, it's the new Saturday...I will be there too, though I might skip off early depending on legs, faffing etc. May have Dr Groove in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Hi what time will that be at then eh ?

...about 9.15

Ok so whats the craic? Any change to the plan or route? Hopefully I'll meet yiz at that carpark up the top of cruagh rd. some time after 9.30 barring any screw ups...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

In. This is looking like some group alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceoneteam in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

el tonto wrote: »
    Myself and The Claw had planned on doing the Orwell Randonee this Sunday, which has now been cancelled. Instead we're planning on a longish spin through Wicklow, taking in the Sally Gap, Djouce and the Wicklow Gap. We'll be kicking off at 9am from under the Luas bridge in Dundrum and stopping for half an hour of a sandwich in Laragh. Route here. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.
    Is that the route for definite? Might save myself the trip to Dundrum and hop on at the Yellow House if it is.

Lots of rain forecast from what I can see.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Is that the route for definite? Might save myself the trip to Dundrum and hop on at the Yellow House if it is.

Yep, that's a definite alright. I'll keep an eye out for folks along the way. Not sure if anyone is going to be in Boards gear, but we all should be easy enough to spot.
    Lots of rain forecast from what I can see.

It looks like it could go either way, sunny spells with scattered thundery showers. One of those "what the hell do I wear days". Not a day for the white shorts though.

Weather doesn't look too bad in the morning
    met.ie wrote:
    Sunday will be dry at first with sunny spells. Scattered showers will develop in the afternoon, some of which will be heavy and thundery.

Memo to self: be home by 12

el tonto wrote: »
    but we all should be easy enough to spot.
    RetroBikeRacePictures010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

think i'll tag along too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Having just gotten home, I think I'll probably have to pass on this. Seems like you'll have a good and large group - enjoy!

Just Back. 115km door to door for me. TaxMan and I went back up SG and Glencree, the others went to the WW Gap.

Has anyone picked up my phone by accident in Larragh? ... I am phone less :(
    For those not sure ... the screen has a photo of ... myself on it ... It has saved me before, people know it's mine :P

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

~128km for me. Sorry for leaving you back at Cruagh road Tiny, I was hoping they had not got too far ahead but I didn't manage to catch up until Kippure. I was getting a bit disheartened as I climbed the Sally Gap and saw nothing up ahead, but Rottenhat was heading back and gave me a few words of encouragement. Unfortunately this meant I was spent when we got to Laragh (Blorg I am not, catching up is hard!) and the Wicklow Gap to Bohernabreena route was really sapping what was left.

Home in time for Chelsea though, which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Just Back. 115km door to door for me. TaxMan and I went back up SG and Glencree, the others went to the WW Gap.

Has anyone picked up my phone by accident in Larragh? ... I am phone less :(
    For those not sure ... the screen has a photo of ... myself on it ... It has saved me before, people know it's mine :P

Cheers

ouch, have you tried ringing the cafe to see if they have it?

ouch, have you tried ringing the cafe to see if they have it?

I dont have a phone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

skype...

uberwolf wrote: »
    skype...

well ... I don't have a mic! i use skype from my 3-mobile actually :) :P
    will wait till OH gets back I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

what avg speed did you guys end up doing? over the last couple of weeks doing this kind of distance i've climbed 1600-1700m and averaged about 22kph so just wondering if i'd be up to speed with the group?

i may end up joining over the next couple of weekends if it looks like i can keep up :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well ... I don't have a mic! i use skype from my 3-mobile actually :) :P
    will wait till OH gets back I guess.
    my loudspeakers act as mic. Ah well, hopefully it makes its way back to you.

Phone has been found in Laragh :) .. that'll teach me not to run after that poor cat ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    ~128km for me. Sorry for leaving you back at Cruagh road Tiny, I was hoping they had not got too far ahead but I didn't manage to catch up until Kippure. I was getting a bit disheartened as I climbed the Sally Gap and saw nothing up ahead, but Rottenhat was heading back and gave me a few words of encouragement. Unfortunately this meant I was spent when we got to Laragh (Blorg I am not, catching up is hard!) and the Wicklow Gap to Bohernabreena route was really sapping what was left.

Home in time for Chelsea though, which is nice.

No problem at all Dirk, thanks for rescuing my puncture... my fitness really is bloody lacking these days, and I'm just going backwards on climbs -more work needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I enjoyed that :). 1683m ascent according to garmin - I love how generous it is.
    what avg speed did you guys end up doing? over the last couple of weeks doing this kind of distance i've climbed 1600-1700m and averaged about 22kph so just wondering if i'd be up to speed with the group?

i may end up joining over the next couple of weekends if it looks like i can keep up :confused:

My avg was 25.5, but that includes getting across the city before and after the spin. That's probably quite high for a boards spin too given that we did a fair amount of climbing - the avg really depends on who turns up and on how competitive they're pretending not to be.

If you're averaging 22kph over that kind of terrain on your own then you'd be totally fine on one of these I think. Even if that's with a group you'd be ok. We do wait and regroup btw, so getting dropped is not really a big deal. Give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

No problem at all Dirk, thanks for rescuing my puncture... my fitness really is bloody lacking these days, and I'm just going backwards on climbs -more work needed!

Stick with it Tiny. Your return is long overdue.

I finished with 145km @ 25.9km/h average. If you can do 22km/h average than you'd be fine. The group does wait around at the top of climbs etc.

Thanks all for the cycle today. Good crack.

Really enjoyed that today! I'm suffering a bit now but totally worth it. First time over the Wicklow gap which i made a total mess of... Totally underestimated how long it was and suffered terribly over the last few km's of it.

Avg speed was 25.5 km/hr
    Avg HR was 154 beats/min
    Max HR was 187 beats/min which occurred about 15mins after the restart in Laragh (no surprises there....) :rolleyes:

Great to finally get out on a boards spin. Hopefully i'll get another one in with you guys soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Did 130k average just over 22, fair bit of meandering through town so that must have brought my average down (though somehow it increased niceonetoms, hmm).
    I was the slowest but the group still waited for me so on that basis spuckler would cruise it - you do get a bit incentivised when you know there are people way ahead of you. Don't know if this is quite so positive for those doing the waiting.
    I am in bits though - one of the harder rides I've done and those oysters were not the silver bullet.
    Thanks to all for hanging around and getting me home, even if it did appear I was heading for Dun Laoghire instead of Fairview just as the last of my legs were disappearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Good man Tiny. Good to be back on the bike all the same. You'll be fine in a few weeks.

Saw a boardsie down Kerryway this afternoon, Murph100. He was on the new Argon 18. it is hawt.
    You can keep your Pinerellos, Cervelos and Colnagos. The Argon is the sexiest bike I have even seen up close.

Otherwise another 90min 41km spin up the hills and back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement