Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IQS method

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to quit (20 a day 18 year habbit) smoking. I'm nervous but accept I have to quit and really want to. I was looking at the IQS method to reduce the cravings.

Has anyone here tried or heard any reports on this method?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. I am in the same position as you - nervous but know I need to quit! Tried three years ago but found I was consumed by thoughts of smoking all the time - awful experience! I had never heard of this method but would love to know more- I read the link you gave and it sounds very positive.
    Can you stay in touch and let me know how its going for you? I'm not asking you to be a guinea pig:D, but if you are going I'd love to know how you're getting on!
    I hope this thread get a good response and is not moved to the other quit smoking threads!
    Best of luck colleague!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

thanks Shazzane. will try it soon enough and post the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Hi, I'm open to almost any method when it comes to getting off the cigs but just
    was looking at the site you posted and find it a little difficult to take in if you know what I mean.

Not here to criticize but some of the 'claims' being offered by their method look a little too good to be true.....

"The process breaks up the poisonous substances of tobacco in the organs and releases beta-endorphins into the body. The endorphins collectively 'mask' the nicotine receptors related to tobacco addiction which also 'block' and eradicate all nicotine molecules. The treatment eliminates the cravings and withdrawal symptoms associated with the 'quitting' process".

......No physician here, but correct me if I am wrong, are they claiming to 'mask' the biggest nicotine receptor i.e. THE BRAIN? .......When giving up cigs, cravings is a loss of the delayed reduction of dopamine in the brain associated with the release of monoamine oxidase inhibitors in cigs, which in turn reinforce the nicotine addiction impact on the 'feel good' endorphins of the brain.
    I cant see how they are actually achieving this without filling a person with antidepressants to keep buoyed dopamine levels in order to take the hit off cravings...??

I dont know maybe I'm just a cynic but you get where i'm coming from....300 quid is nothing if this is effective but this lot sound like a bunch of quacks to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

auriculotherapy, utilising electro-pulse stimuli of specific points of the ear, focusing on key meridians.

Sounds like techno-talk for acupuncture....did you try it?

The physical 'craving' for nicotine is short-lived - hours, at most a couple of days; the on-going months of cravings is psychological, which is why Allan Carr and Gillian Riley books, or websites like whyquit, work. (and they are a lot cheaper!)

On day 4 or 108 hours...of 2nd quit.
    (1st one lasted 5 years, but I got complacent and had the odd puff here and there...) Both cold turkey using the book/web for support to get through the cravings, which I'm glad are already reducing in frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Agreed. Sounds like crap tbh. Full of techno speak and I can't find anything to actually backup their 90% success rate claim. In fact I can't find anything that actually backs up anything they say.

"If we fail then we will issue an 80% refund on all treatments. This is our treatment Guarantee." - Sound more like a guarantee that they get 60 quid from everyone regardless of whether it works or not. And that doesn't include the ones who are too embarrassed to demand the 80% refund.

I've some snake oil that's 100% guaranteed* to help you quit smoking - just PM me for details.

*No snakes are harmed in the production of snake oil. Willpower required. Guarantee requires proof that willpower exists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭golfball37

I started a thread on this here a year ago. I'm still off them and don't miss them one bit thanks to IQS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577474&highlight=Ranelagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well done. golfball37 - if that's your real name (:D) My own opinion is that you quit smoking because you wanted to. If you want to believe that some unlicensed quacks did it for you then that's great - whatever it takes is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Macros42 wrote: »
    Well done. golfball37 - if that's your real name (:D) My own opinion is that you quit smoking because you wanted to. If you want to believe that some unlicensed quacks did it for you then that's great - whatever it takes is good.

I dont think you should knock whatever another person believes. It may have worked for you to just go cold turkey but it's not for everyone. Others need something more to help them along so dismissing their methods or undermining them for the next person who might want to use them is not for you to do. As you rightly say, whatever it takes is good, but dont knock their efforts. There is a school of thought that is well documented that says that abrupt quitting is too great a shock to the system and can cause its own damage. I don't necessarily believe that but I wouldn't dream of knocking you for doing it!

Advertisement