Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this RX-8 too good to be true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not really too good to be true. It's the 190 version which always was cheaper than the 230. It's Joe Duffy so pretty decent dealership.

Cars like these are nowadays considered nothing more than expensive toys. That's another reason for an '08 with such milage being relatively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Whats the motor tax rate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭s_macmahon

furtzy wrote: »
    Whats the motor tax rate on that?

waiting to hear back from J Duffys

Physically it's a 1.3 (2 x 654 chambers), it's taxed as a 1.8 and insured as a 2.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is it 08? I cant look up the link in work, if it iss then before June 1st registration = around €700 a year after = around €2100 a year

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    Is it 08? I cant look up the link in work, if it iss then before June 1st registration = around €700 a year after = around €2100 a year

Before June 1st - €550 actually :D

Yeah. Just had a look. It emisions are 267g so that would put it in the €2100 a year if based on emissions....yikes

Before June 1st - €550 actually :D

Same as the Teg, I should have known that! :o

Yeah. Just had a look. It emisions are 267g so that would put it in the €2100 a year if based on emissions....yikes

This is exactly why Mazda never sold the new RX-8 in Ireland.
    Same as the Teg, I should have known that! :o

We all make mistakes :)

Brothers flash friend bought one new a while back and only kept it less than a year. He couldn't get over the oil and fuel consumption and kept flooding it really easily. He traded it in for a second hand RS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Brothers flash friend bought one new a while back and only kept it less than a year. He couldn't get over the oil and fuel consumption and kept flooding it really easily. He traded it in for a second hand RS4
    Lol......
    FACEPALM__Jack_Skellington_by_A_S_K_08.jpg

Was it a 2003/2004/2005? If so they all came with very weak starters. Due to the fact that these starters didn't have enough torque to spin the engine fast enough to start it, the engines flooded. In mid 2005 Mazda upgraded the starter with a beefier motor to stop the flooding.

I installed the upgraded starter in January and have been flood free since then. I endured 2 years of flooding and wondering what the hell was going on!

A rotary engined car is not really suited to a flash git! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Physically it's a 1.3 (2 x 654 chambers), it's taxed as a 1.8 and insured as a 2.6.

This has come up before.

The RX-8 is rated as a RX-8 with a twin rotor wankel engine and 190/230bhp.

One or more insurers may have placed that car in the same group as other cars with a 2.6l reciprocating engine, but that's a happenstance only.

Others don't.

If I remember correctly it was indeed a 2005. The RS4 he got was stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Was it a 2003/2004/2005? If so they all came with very weak starters. Due to the fact that these starters didn't have enough torque to spin the engine fast enough to start it, the engines flooded. In mid 2005 Mazda upgraded the starter with a beefier motor to stop the flooding.

I installed the upgraded starter in January and have been flood free since then. I endured 2 years of flooding and wondering what the hell was going on!

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but how do you know what one you've got?

I have an '04, but when i got it JD didnt change the sparkies, one fell apart and it burnt out the starter coil, but i got it fixed all under warranty. Fine.

But since i've got the new starter coil it sounds completely different - slightly longer "kicking" process, which in itself sounds different. I just wanna check that they didn't throw in the bollox starter when they replaced it!

A rotary engined car is not really suited to a flash git! :D

A motorised full length mirror would suit this guy more....last I heard he'd moved onto a 911. He runs a door security firm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

If I remember correctly it was indeed a 2005. The RS4 he got was stunning

Hardly cheaper to run than an RX-8 - mind you if i remember correctly the RX-8 gives ~20mpg and you need to rev the nuts out of them to get any power - both of those together sound like a disaster for fuel running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I have an '04, but when i got it JD didnt change the sparkies, one fell apart and it burnt out the starter coil, but i got it fixed all under warranty. Fine.

But since i've got the new starter coil it sounds completely different - slightly longer "kicking" process, which in itself sounds different. I just wanna check that they didn't throw in the bollox starter when they replaced it!

I think you're getting mixed up between ignition coils and starter motor.

Here's how to check which starter you have http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=189410&highlight=starter

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats my biggest problem the the RX8`s they are poor on fuel and yet they arent quick enough to justify the running costs. For such low fuel economy you might as well get a big V8.

But a big V8 is likely to hit you in the pocket with tax :mad:

• Advertisement

Easiest way to check is to jack up the front passenger side of the car, put in a axle stand for peace of mind, get under the car and check it out. The starter is located right there at the end of the tranny. The plate with the part number is visible straight away. If the part number is N3H1, it's the crap starter. If it's N3H1 A or N3Z1 it's the good one.

The coils aren't 1 unit but there's 4 seperate coils - one per spark plug.
    voxpop wrote: »
    Hardly cheaper to run than an RX-8 - mind you if i remember correctly the RX-8 gives ~20mpg and you need to rev the nuts out of them to get any power - both of those together sound like a disaster for fuel running costs.

Revving the nuts off it is part of the fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The plate with the part number is visible straight away.

I wouldn't say that. It's on the top of the starter so it's difficult enough to see from underneath. I used a mirror to read it. It was 1H3N :D

I wouldn't say that. It's on the top of the starter so it's difficult enough to see from underneath. I used a mirror to read it. It was 1H3N :D

Haha!! Good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Revving the nuts off it is part of the fun :D

For the first week - then you wonder why your bank balance is strangely low - then your become afraid to rev it and start driving like a nun and hypermiling - then you sell it at a loss and buy a diesel :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

For the first week - then you wonder why your bank balance is strangely low - then your become afraid to rev it and start driving like a nun and hypermiling - then you sell it at a loss and buy a diesel :pac:

hmmmm buying a deisel.....what a strange thought....I think i'd prefer to walk :D

I've had mine for over 2 years and I usually rev the sh!te out of it nearly every day. I love doing it :D

Advertisement