Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paolo Nutini

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I know he's not a hip artist but his second album Sunny side up was great(yes i know it was released a year ago but i only got it recently) his mix of soul, reggee,7o's soft rock and jazz and with that great voice it makes for a great summer record.

anyone else like him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I love this bloke! i fell in love with him after These Streets, which is an amazing album. And he seems to have grown into a cool reggae/ ska sort of artist!

Have you heard him speak? It's like he's speaking another language, his accent is so thick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Lillylilly wrote: »
    I love this bloke! i fell in love with him after These Streets, which is an amazing album. And he seems to have grown into a cool reggae/ ska sort of artist!

Have you heard him speak? It's like he's speaking another language, his accent is so thick!

You could see the restrain that first album had on him
    Too James Blunt for me

but Sunny side up was a massive improvement
    he can sing like a black soul singer and then turn into a 70's ballad singer then into a bob marley style vocal the next minute. He's only 21 he can only get better.

yep saw a interview with him on Graham norton a while back
    The scot's accent is thick all right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Ugh, I don't get it. It's really watered-down stuff. Not my thing.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Ugh, I don't get it. It's really watered-down stuff. Not my thing.

I don't get it been water down
    he's not trying to change music but he's just playing laid back music.
    i guess some people will hate his music you can't deny he's a great singer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

He's absolutely brilliant.

Check out some of his unreleased stuff on youtube.

outerspace
    Tumbling Down
    Still Crazy
    Rainbows
    Now who's the fool

• Advertisement

His version of Arcade Fire's wake up was loved so much even Arcade Fire named it their favourite cover version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I like his musical styling, but the sound of his voice hurts my ears. Makes me want to kick old ladies. Reminds me of that fecker from Kerry who sang songs about angels. Really bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I don't get it been water down
    he's not trying to change music but he's just playing laid back music.
    i guess some people will hate his music you can't deny he's a great singer

It's like when someone like Vanilla Ice tries to do hip hop. As for being a great singer, he hits all the notes and controls his voice well enough, but the only thing he stands out for is sounding a bit like any number of reggae singers. Also, where's this 'jazz' that you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i loved his first album but the second one was terrible i didnt really like one of the songs on it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Second album is really excellent. His voice has come on massively since the debut.

'Candy' is a superb song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

His version of Arcade Fire's wake up was loved so much even Arcade Fire named it their favourite cover version

They did...?

They did...?

yep they posted it on their Twitter page

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

I think when he finds where he wants to be in his music we'll hear a very different Paolo I'm looking forward to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 iSeeStars

i love Paolo Nutini,The First Time i Heard His Songs i Thought He Was a Black Soul Singer , Hes Amasing & Different . <3Anyone Got Any Other Simular Artists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He's incredible, have never got to see him live but its something I will definitly do when I get the chance. Most of his songs are amazing, Pencil Full Of Lead, Last Request, Jenny Don't Be Hasty, 55 to 1. Brilliant, could listen to them all day. His covers are amazing as well I would recommend his cover of Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River, Gnarls Barkley's Crazy and my favourite Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) which I think is a Nancy Sinatra song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I just hate the whole affectation with the voice. Sounds as if he trying to impersonate Nina Simone

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like him, wouldn't be mad on him but he's very easy listening and nice on the ears.

I love his accent too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Candy not a bad single but overall not really my cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

~I kind of ignored him for a while but after this performance you couldn't put admire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not my type of thing but there's no denying he has a great voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,861 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is brillant I loved both his albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

He's class!
    Can't understand what he's saying half the time, but none the less, he's very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

BEST ALBUMN OF THE LAST 2 YEARS...........GREAT MIXTURE OF MUSIC AND VOICE ON THE 1 CD....BRILLIANT.....YOU COULD TAKE THIS CD OUT IN 5 YEARS TIME AND IT WILL SOUND EVEN BETTER...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommyrot

Absolutely love his first album, but not mad for his second, although fair do's for trying something different.

He has it all, great voice, great song writer, good-looking, and best of all, Scottish! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

What a man!!

Absolutely love him! Loved his first album and was really shocked to hear his second when it came out. Its not usually my thing but really love it now! Could listen to him forever.... Never seen him live, but would absolutely love to!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It's like when someone like Vanilla Ice tries to do hip hop. As for being a great singer, he hits all the notes and controls his voice well enough, but the only thing he stands out for is sounding a bit like any number of reggae singers. Also, where's this 'jazz' that you mentioned?

+1 , its all very contrived if you ask me , its simply not natural for someone fron scotland to sing like that , he doesnt have to sound like the proclaimers but thiers something not right about him sounding like hes from new orleans

• Registered Users Posts: 86,861 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Boy was I disappointed :(

This is what I thought he covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

went to see him last night(21st) in killarney , first time seeing him live .What a gig . highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ònly really got listening to him at the beginning of the summer, can't stop listening to him now, I think he's class.:D

Advertisement