Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child-proof socket covers - safety concerns

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I stumbled across this website and just thought it was quite interesting as they seem to have really gone into quite a lot of depth to show that there are many child-proof socket protectors on the market which actually increase the danger of standard Irish/British electrical sockets.

Quite an interesting read, and it might certainly make you consider replacing any faulty / old sockets rather than installing those plug-in socket blanking devices.

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/index.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would prob just fit 'MK sockets' if child safety was a concern

and assuming circuits are already 'RCD protected'

there's loads of dodgy gadgets on the market

the 'mk flush metal' will provide mechanical/impact protecton as well - always a good choice

sockets can be left broken for a while -just as dangerous as the shutters

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Very interesting Solair. Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The article isn't really that great. I've recently been changing over all the old sockets for newer sockets with switches, but I also got some of the plug covers for the sockets we rarely use. They cover the socket entirely, and are impossible to get out, there's no gripping surface, I'll need to lever them out when we decide to use them again (think I got them in Woodies).

Also, there's something that a kid will have ready access to that will allow them to do the exact same thing as the above article, it's called a plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya the article is over-hyped

but at the same time wouldn't bother with cheap switched sockets and covers -can't see the point

Advertisement