Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy maple and alamo tree, and Orthensias?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to buy a maple tree, an alamo tree and Orthensia for my garden. Do you know any good place in the Dublin area to buy them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maple trees are acers and are readily available in garden centres, you would want to do a bit of research as to which variety you want as there are large numbers of them from small Japanese acers to woodland trees.

Orthensias I had never heard of, so I checked and they are hydrangeas, which are also readily available in garden centres.

Alamo or Cottonwood is not very common here, if you really want one you might have to import one or grow it from seed, but I suspect it might be a bit tender for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

you could try here http://www.futureforests.net/

might be a bit late for planting root stock,

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thanks for your replies,

I am new into gardening, and I was just trying to plants I already knew.

Hydrangea: you are right looksee, it might be a more common term than hortensia

alamo/Cottonwood: thanks for the info lookse. I might try something else

Maple:siochain, you were mentioning it is late to plant root stock. I did not know that. What is the recommended time for this?

garden centres: thanks for your suggestion sochain. I was also told there is one in JohnsTown, which is quite reasonable
    http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/plants-trees-flowers-and-fruit/6cat.aspx.

Is there any other garden centre in Dublin area I should not miss?

Also, I have found another shop online with very cheap prices
    http://www.gardens4you.ie/index.php?/Online-Shop.html
    However, I realised they work europe-wide and that the delivery rates to Ireland were much more expensive than delivering to central europe, which makes me thinking trees and plants will come from there. How will that affect the plants? would they degrade on the way to Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

root stock should be planted in early spring or late autum when the trees are still dormant. This is also the best time also for potted trees for best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is very unlikely that you would be buying the kind of trees you are looking for bareroot, they are almost all in containers. You could plant container grown now, but not for much longer, and you would have to keep them watered all summer, but you would do that with any trees first year. I have been told by garden centres that you can plant container grown anytime, but I don't entirely go along with that.

As Siochain has said, it is too late for bare root.

If you are not sure what you want why not start another thread and describe what your garden is like (size, what is surrounding it, type of location) and what kind of shrubs or trees you would like (height, colour, flowers, etc). I am sure you will get lots of advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement