Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Zine Looking For Front Cover Submissions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

4. Something brilliant would be preferable.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

What I get from that is that you want someone to submit an image/artwork as a complete front cover design including your title and for this they will get the honour of appearing on the front of your zine?

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you not simply looking for work for free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think we can take it as read that anybody who posts on the forum looking for pictures wants them for free otherwise it would appear in the services wanted thread.

Lets not go down the road of the other posts regarding free work

For some people this will suit and for others not so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you not simply looking for work for free?
    this does not appear to be a money-making venture, so it's not an unreasonable request.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

@smelltheglove

Yes that is the case. The zine is not a money-making entity in the slightest. I'm an out of work graduate with no hope of getting a job and I'm just showing some initiative to get up and do something that might stand to me in the long run.

The zine is hosted on the web. This is the first issue: http://issuu.com/minus9squared/docs/issue_1_finished_and_ready_to_upload

If you care to read through the blog you'll get the full picture of what the magazine is doing and trying to do.

Hope this clarifies any haziness surrounding the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi Anna,

Hmnnnnn.... interesting.... i'm liking the idea big time - from the conceptual position of it being a publication produced almost in an "open source" philosophy.

Have you your body of content for the publication at this point and are only looking for a cover?

Some here may be interested in contributing photo essays or individual photographs - are you accepting such material for publication?

Get back a moment to the issue of rights which normally animate any discussion around here :) I presume your publication are claiming no subsequent rights over contributed content and that by contributing the photographer isn't agreeing to unlimited subsequent usage or anything like that. This would be useful to know. (I did have a quick look at the web site - sorry if I missed that bit).

Any design guidelines for the cover? ie. does it necessarily have to be similar to the first issue? Font's, sizes, etc...?

What format for any submissions would you like? jpg/tiff/pdf?

Also, what is your intended publication date?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

one more thought, in respect of work why may be published in the publication - can a photographer be attributed including their website / blog / online gallery? (within reason - probably name and single web address would be good).

@AnCatDubh

Hi there,

We are accepting content submissions until 30th April but at present we will have a major selection headache come midnight of that date as, following the first issue we've had huge interest across the board. That's another thing to mention, we're not strictly confined to Irish submissions either - the last issue had Irish, English, Portugese and American contributors which we like as it broadens both the horizons and the appeal of the Zine.

Photo essays and individual photography will be accepted, yes.

As regards rights, we own nothing. We are simply showcasing your work and will not attempt to assert any ownership or anything of the sorts. If we do wish to use anyone's photos on the blog or anywhere else, we will always ask permission of the owner first.

Design outlines for the cover are completely in the hands of the submitter. Font sizes, style, etc, just as long as it follows the three guidelines on the blog, the rest is completely malleable at the discretion of the designer.

JPG images would suit us best at the moment.

Publication date is yet undecided but we would be hoping that it would be the weekend following the deadline, so 7th/8th May, with some luck.

Hope this answers all your questions. Thanks for the interest.

As regards contributor bios, yes, we are more than happy to display webpages, blogs, etc of our contributors.

Our contributors pages look like this: http://issuu.com/minus9squared/docs/issue_1_finished_and_ready_to_upload

You may need to flick to the relevant page but most of our contributors have included web links in their bios so yes, there will be space for self-publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

This is all very interesting, will read the magazine over the weekend and who knows, maybe I'll have something to submit one day!

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ahayzer, you have explained it much better now and I wish you the best of luck with your venture.

I did read through the site to get some information and apologise if I came across rude, having a bad day:rolleyes: but sincerely the best of luck with it.

I'm sure there will be people here interested in submitting images of great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

Ahayzer, would be really worthwhile to email the art colleges with this. Most students are just finishing their FYP's (across all discplines from fine art to fashion) and have material ready to go that they would possibly like to get published (for example see www.paulquast.com)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and gestures. I am currently working on getting mails around to the Art Colleges, I believe NCAD have a notice in their student newsletter about the zine which is great.

Anyway, I am now retiring this post, so to speak, and would encourage anyone interested in the zine and its updates to find us on Facebook, Twitter or subscribe to our blog here, where all updates will be posted:

www.minus9squared.wordpress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Although I have been dismissive of people looking for free photos in the past.
    Appearing on the front page of a photography or art magazine would be nice.

how much do berets cost these days

Advertisement