Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Bands at the moment regardless of genre

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can wait to see your answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bealzebub259

In my opinion it's prob something like this:

5. Linkin Park (They may not have the best lineup in the world, but they somehow managed to make pretty awesome music despite it)
    4. Kings of Leon (You have no idea how much it pains me to put them anywhere in this list, but I can't deny they are talented)
    3. Coheed and Cambria (Though they may not be all that popular they're still awesome and their new album is easily on par with the rest)
    2. U2 (Still somehow managing to rule the world)
    1. 30 Seconds to Mars (Possibly the only good emo band to ever exist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Music-and-booze

1: And so i watch you from afar
    2: So cow
    3: Cloudkicker
    4: Bombay bicycle club

honestly cant think of a fifth that deserves to be in there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

BLK JKS
    Mars Volta
    Mastodon
    The Very Best
    Maricachi El Bronx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

1. Arctic Monkeys- not a bad album yet and totally did a u-turn with their third album Humbug.

2. Kasabain- yep they've got better and better with each album

3. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- As they get older thery get better and better

4. The White Stripes- Probably the best band in the world

5. Queens of the stone age- Probably the hardest group in the world and not a bad album from them

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

1. Mumford and Sons
    2. Fat Freddy's Drop
    3. The Frames
    4. U2
    CANT THINK OF A 5TH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

1: Radiohead (I know, I hate the deification of Radiohead as well, but I'm finding it tough to think of too many bands that move around as much as they do, and I'm interested to see what they try to do next)

2: Aphex Twin (wonder what he's up to at the moment... the most interesting brain working in music today)

3: Wilco (great before they got Nels Cline and Glenn Kotche, and ****ing incredible since Glenn, and then Nels joined...)

4: Grizzly Bear (They have all the training behind them, they know they're stuff, and their albums so far are pretty good... I'm just waiting for them to get a little more adventurous)

I'm struggling to think of a fifth as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

old hippy wrote: »
    BLK JKS
    Mars Volta
    Mastodon
    The Very Best
    Maricachi El Bronx

Excellent choice. Check these guys out everyone

moved from bands/musicians to music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

First five off the top of my head

Radiohead
    Grizzly Bear
    Dirty Projectors
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Sufjan Stevens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭dasdog

old hippy wrote: »
    BLK JKS
    Mars Volta
    Mastodon
    The Very Best
    Maricachi El Bronx
    lint316 wrote: »
    Excellent choice. Check these guys out everyone

I just did I'm really liking what I hear. Not a good reflection on things if people are struggling to name a 5th and if U2 are still getting mentioned but maybe the young un's in the know haven't posted up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Explosions in the sky
    Cult of Luna
    Norma Jean
    Terror
    Limp Bizkit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the foals

angels and airwaves

the drums

the presets

hot chip

mr hudson

i have to many :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Deftones
    Four Year Strong
    Alexisonfire
    Arusha Accord
    The Bled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian - unbelievable band getting better every album and there live performances are just superb just pure energy and passion you can tell they really appreciate the fans. there new album proved many doubters wrong he use to label them pure pub rock which is disgraceful . tom meighan love him or hate him is the best front man to come out of Britain since liam gallaghar and him and serge are the new jagger and richards.

arctic monkeys - alex turner is just a genius and one of the best song writers since lennon. matt hedders amazing drummer and i just love the new direction the band is going in they will surely go from strength to strength

u2 - over 20 years and there still the daddy nuf said.

kings of leon - as much as i hate the new direction the band is going in i must still appreciate how much effort they have put in to achieve it and they are superstars now love them or hate them.

muse - amazing songs and epic live performances what more can you ask for.

bands who just missed the cut - arcade fire, mumford and sons, daft punk, last shaddow puppets and queens of the stone age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian - unbelievable band getting better every album and there live performances are just superb just pure energy and passion you can tell they really appreciate the fans. there new album proved many doubters wrong he use to label them pure pub rock which is disgraceful . tom meighan love him or hate him is the best front man to come out of Britain since liam gallaghar and him and serge are the new jagger and richards.

arctic monkeys - alex turner is just a genius and one of the best song writers since lennon. matt hedders amazing drummer and i just love the new direction the band is going in they will surely go from strength to strength

u2 - over 20 years and there still the daddy nuf said.

kings of leon - as much as i hate the new direction the band is going in i must still appreciate how much effort they have put in to achieve it and they are superstars now love them or hate them.

muse - amazing songs and epic live performances what more can you ask for.

bands who just missed the cut - arcade fire, mumford and sons, daft punk, last shaddow puppets and queens of the stone age

Well said Alex Turner is a great songwriter who's looked down upon by the music snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Really don't understand all this love for Mumford & Sons, have listened to a few of their songs and they all sound the same. While listening to their latest realease for the first time I was able to hum along and point to the exact moment that "aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" bit would come in. I do think they are fun to listen and different from most other stuff but if they keep producing songs from the same template people will get real bored real quick.
    Anyway, my top 5 in no particualr order:
    Muse
    Arctic Monkeys
    Japanese Popstars
    Kings of Leon
    Old Crow Medicine Show

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

1 Muse
    2 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    3 Mastodon
    4 Deftones
    5 Biffy Clyro

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

1 Foo Fighters - They haven't released anything new in a few years but they are still the best band in the world!!

2 Arctic Monkeys - Read Ricero's previous post it pretty somes up exactly what makes them good!!

3 Kings Of Leon - Whats with all the negativity towards them?? They've made 2 good albums and 2 brilliant albums!! Just because radio dj's never seem to stop plaing them doesnt all of a sudden make them a bad band, slighty annoying yes but they're still quality!!

4 Vampire Weekend - My favourite band to listen to when im having a bad day!! I cant listen to any song they've done and not be in a better mood by the time its finished!!

5 Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions was probably my favourite album last year!! They've made 4 other solid albums before this aswell!! Awesome band!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Rage Against the Machine - From what I know they've no plans to release any new material. I'm delighted they're back playing together regardless. They may only have 4 albums, but they're albums that stand the test of time.

Fleet Foxes - I look forward to hearing what they move onto next after such an amazing debut.

Aphex Twin - Hands down the best artist from the 'electronic' scene.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - They've been one of my favourites for a long time.

God Is An Astronaut - I'm still surprised that these Irish guys are fairly big in the US but are relatively unknown in the country they hail from. I've yet to see them live but I hear they play a stormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ricero wrote: »
    daft punk

No way, they can't even write their own music.

And as for all the Muse love, what about the parts of The Uprising and Knights of Cydonia that are taken straight out of Blondie's Call Me?

Matt Bellamy's a great musician. I don't get why Muse can only seem to make faux-metal riffs and lyrics about being in some futuristic underdog war for freedom. There's no excuse for someone who can write (steal from Rachmaninoff?) and play piano music like Butterflies and Hurricanes coming out with albums like Black Holes and Revelations...

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    No way, they can't even write their own music.

And as for all the Muse love, what about the parts of The Uprising and Knights of Cydonia that are taken straight out of Blondie's Call Me?

Matt Bellamy's a great musician. I don't get why Muse can only seem to make faux-metal riffs and lyrics about being in some futuristic underdog war for freedom. There's no excuse for someone who can write (steal from Rachmaninoff?) and play piano music like Butterflies and Hurricanes coming out with albums like Black Holes and Revelations...

my god thats shocking them other bands ripping of daft punk :rolleyes: to be honest im shocked cant believe daft punk did that still amazing live thou and there albums are class. muse to be fair are musicians with amazing talents and i love black holes and revelations cracking album.

also daft punk arnt in my top 5 but there my favorite band from dance genre aswell as boyz noize and digitalism

Kettle316 wrote: »
    1 Foo Fighters - They haven't released anything new in a few years but they are still the best band in the world!!

2 Arctic Monkeys - Read Ricero's previous post it pretty somes up exactly what makes them good!!

3 Kings Of Leon - Whats with all the negativity towards them?? They've made 2 good albums and 2 brilliant albums!! Just because radio dj's never seem to stop plaing them doesnt all of a sudden make them a bad band, slighty annoying yes but they're still quality!!

4 Vampire Weekend - My favourite band to listen to when im having a bad day!! I cant listen to any song they've done and not be in a better mood by the time its finished!!

5 Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions was probably my favourite album last year!! They've made 4 other solid albums before this aswell!! Awesome band!!

forgot to mention vampire weekend. amazing band and i agree they just make ya smile im loving the new album

Advertisement