Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur - K.O 12.45 - SKY SPORTS 1

• 23-04-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

manchesterunited_logo.jpgv200px-Tottenham_Hotspur_Logo.jpg

OK here we go ... time to put this comeback plan into overdrive

Here's the team i'd be hoping for

VDS
    Raf---Evans----Vida----Evra

--Fletch--Scholes---Carrick--

Valencia
    Nani--

Rooney

decided to put Rafael in there to deal with Gareth Bale's pace.. don't think Nev will have the legs for him

Gonna go 2-1 united..hopefully

AND COME ON STOKE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Here's the team i'd be hoping for

VDS
    Raf---Evans----Vida----Evra

--Fletch--Scholes---Carrick--

Valencia
    Nani--

Rooney

decided to put Rafael in there to deal with Gareth Bale's pace.. don't think Nev will have the legs for him

Gonna go 2-1 united..hopefully

AND COME ON STOKE!!!

Isn't that what we said about Nev v Bellamy?
    But I agree, would like to see Raf in there.

Carrick? Really?
    What about Scholes playing the role he played against City. He didn't need the pace he doesn't have but can certainly pass the ball better than Carrick.

I agree with having Nani there, Giggs just isn't quite cutting it the last few games. Too many wayward passes.

Can't wait for the game! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Spurs haven't won at Old Trafford in 21 years or something like that. Can't see them doing it now. Easy enough for United 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Johner wrote: »
    Spurs haven't won at Old Trafford in 21 years or something like that. Can't seem them doing it know. Easy enough for United 3-0.

hate speaking negatively. But all good things must come to an end. With the form Spurs are in and in particular the form Bale is in against one of our weakest positions in our team... you have to say Spurs have a great chance.

Be interesting to see JOS lining out at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

have a bad feeling about this

spurs havent beaten us at home since the PL started so you know it's over due

"This is the best Tottenham side of my time here," Sir Alex warns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

For me its.

VDS
    -Neville---Rio----Vidic
    Evra
    -Valencia-Scholes-Fletcher-Nani
    Berbatov----Rooney

Home game against a spurs side who line up 4-4-2. So I think we should do the same, although Berbatov dropping out for one Carrick/Giggs/Gibson wouldn't surprise me.

People questioned Nevilles pace against Bellamy and he managed ok, think he will get the nod here, as I think Bale would give Rafael trouble and he could end up in card trouble.

Rest of the back four picks itself, Rio is supposed to be back in the squad so he will come back in. Brown is also around the squad so could be in with a shout at right back but I'd be surprised.

Pace on the wings will be important so I hope we go with Valenica, and Nani, Giggs hasn't exactly been on top form recently.

Scholes, and Fletcher are our two form midfielders, though I don't know if Scholes will get as much time and space as he did last week against City. Someone has to keep an eye on Modric.

Rooney picks himself, and as I already mentioned there is a doubt about the formation rather than Berbatov.

Spurs coming off two good results, but both were at home. They have failed to beat any of the "big four" away from home in 66 games. Haven't won in Old Trafford in 23 games. I expect a few goals, and I expect a United win. 4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Spurs will throw the game, cancelling out Liverpool throwing the Chelsea game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Spud83 wrote: »
    For me its.

VDS
    -Neville---Rio----Vidic
    Evra
    -Valencia-Scholes-Fletcher-Nani
    Berbatov----Rooney

Home game against a spurs side who line up 4-4-2. So I think we should do the same, although Berbatov dropping out for one Carrick/Giggs/Gibson wouldn't surprise me.

People questioned Nevilles pace against Bellamy and he managed ok, think he will get the nod here, as I think Bale would give Rafael trouble and he could end up in card trouble.

Rest of the back four picks itself, Rio is supposed to be back in the squad so he will come back in. Brown is also around the squad so could be in with a shout at right back but I'd be surprised.

Pace on the wings will be important so I hope we go with Valenica, and Nani, Giggs hasn't exactly been on top form recently.

Scholes, and Fletcher are our two form midfielders, though I don't know if Scholes will get as much time and space as he did last week against City. Someone has to keep an eye on Modric.

Rooney picks himself, and as I already mentioned there is a doubt about the formation rather than Berbatov.

Spurs coming off two good results, but both were at home. They have failed to beat any of the "big four" away from home in 66 games. Haven't won in Old Trafford in 23 games. I expect a few goals, and I expect a United win. 4-2.

Can't see Berbatov playing.

This game will be played at 100mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Spurs were going to allegedly be "tired" for the Chelsea game (following 120 mins in a Cup semi against Pompey and an incredibly intense 90 mins against Arsenal) and this proved anything but.

However, big advantage for United: Spurs have now played 3 very high intensity games in the past 2 weeks, and in every one of those games, towards the very end, they seemed to tire. They conceded late on in all three games (albeit this only had a detrimental effect in the Pompey game) and this could work to United's advantage; grab a late goal or two on the tiring Spurs' legs.

Spurs have been playing like a team possessed lately, but can still see them stumbling at this all-important hurdle. Typical, really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

DazMarz wrote: »
    Spurs have been playing like a team possessed lately, but can still see them stumbling at this all-important hurdle. Typical, really...

In all fairness, losing to Utd in Old Trafford could hardly be classed as stumbling at the last hurdle. The vast majority of Spurs fans never expect anything from this game, and that hasn't changed much despite the team playing very well. The games against Bolton, City, and Burnley are arguably more important for Spurs than tomorrows game as they're all possibly 3 pointers.

Not winning against Bolton next week, having done the hard work last week, would definitely be classed as stumbling at the last hurdle.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

A 1-1 draw, Spurs equalise in the last minute with a goal from a dodgy penalty that is saved by Van der Sar but is given as a goal even though the ball is nowhere close to the line.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    In all fairness, losing to Utd in Old Trafford could hardly be classed as stumbling at the last hurdle. The vast majority of Spurs fans never expect anything from this game, and that hasn't changed much despite the team playing very well. The games against Bolton, City, and Burnley are arguably more important for Spurs than tomorrows game as they're all possibly 3 pointers.

Not winning against Bolton next week, having done the hard work last week, would definitely be classed as stumbling at the last hurdle.

I'm just making the point that they would never have really been expected to beat Arsenal or Chelsea either, and that they would all have been HUGE hurdles in their quest for 4th. And that they would go out and play so well and beat both of them will be marred (at least I think so anyway) by them still throwing it all away by dipping in form now and losing to both United and City.

More crucial for Chelsea is obviously them losing to United, giving United the chance to exert more pressure on Chelsea. Spurs will not be able to keep up the pace IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah you're right there, the Arsenal and Chelsea results were completely unexpected, particularly one after the other, though losing to City & Utd (and winning the other two games) will only be disastrous if City win 3 of their last 4, and with Arsenal and Villa to play, that's not guaranteed. It's going to be very close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Didn't Harry come out and say that they had targeted 5 points from these three games, so they are already ahead of their target. So I don't think a defeat tomorrow would be seen as a big blow to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

This game will be decided on how Harry approaches it. If he keeps Bale on the wing they have a great chance but he tends to play more negatively against United so I see Palacios back in the side with Modric pushed out the wing and Bale at left back. Bale on the wing 2-2. Bale at LB 2-1

If Spurs lose to United on Saturday, if City win and then if Spurs go on to lose to City, that is their chance of 4th shot to bits. So I reckon if they lose to United, it is quite a big blow to them. They will want to get something from that game, even if it is only a point. But I don't think they will do it at all. United to romp home handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Beat them twice already this season. I hope we can do it again. Lets see the game out, instead of letting them go 2-0 ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Johner wrote: »
    Spurs haven't won at Old Trafford in 21 years or something like that. Can't see them doing it now. Easy enough for United 3-0.
    In the form Gomes is in I dont think it will be 3-0. Would think Spurs would be delighted with draw ahead of their game with City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

It's gonna be tight at OT tomorrow, hopefully Utd can do the business early, don't think I have a lot of nails to chew on after the City game.

Don't write off Stoke on sunday either, lots of long balls and long throws ( Go on Delap ya mad yoke ) against a makeshift chelsea back four and who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Spurs will go 0-3 ahead, then bottle it as per usual and lose 7-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hoping for a comprehensive united win in this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Helix wrote: »
    hoping for a comprehensive united win in this one

I think you will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

As a Arsenal Fan i would a Utd win to cement that third spot
    Also i don't want Chelsea winning the title We won't hear the end of it from Randy Terry and co.

I think it be a 2-1 win to Utd
    Spures aren't a great team on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We (Spurs) are playing well. First goal will be vital. Bale will be a huge threat no matter who plays right full, assuming bale plays outside left.

Id go with Gomes Kaboul King Daws BAE Modric Wilson Hudd Bale JD and Pav.

Id be more than happy with a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

All bad runs have to end sometime right ........... Right? A draw would be a great result hoping Rooney isn't 100% while I don't subscribe to the one man team thing I know i'd much rather face a united side without him. Of course a win would be even better :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A rip roaring 3-3! Could be a real cracker if both go at it from the off!
    Utopia= 3-3 and then a Neville OG in Fergie Time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I can see Berba and Rooney starting the game upfront together today. While I am no big fan of Berba he did have a big role to play in the last minute goal against City and surely he will be very much up for this game with so much at stake and against his former club!

Valencia and Nani on the wings is a must! We are much more threatening with those two on the wings and with Scholes and Fletch in cente midfield.

If United do win, then for one day only I will be singing You'll Never Walk Alone with gusto next weekend :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ugh, why did I have to wake up so early!?

4 hours of waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hope Rooney if up for this, if not it could be another real struggle with our poor players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

lads is it 12.45 kick off , I only ask because sky preview programme on just before soccer am had kick off at 11.45 ,

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    lads is it 12.45 kick off , I only ask because sky preview programme on just before soccer am had kick off at 11.45 ,
    12.45 so it does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

as harry put it, he was not expecting 6 from 9 points against the top 3 so we have nothing to lose by going for it. No idea how it will turn out but probably with complaints from the neighbours again... Hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Time to put the pressure on and go back top (hopefully).

Can see this game having more twists and turns than a Stephen King novel. Would prefer a quiet 1-0 but given last years fixture, can't see it being that easy. Spurs are flying and are a tougher team mentally under Harry - there's no such thing as falling apart under pressure anymore.

Going for 2-1 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ugh, why did I have to wake up so early!?

4 hours of waiting!

I had the exact same thought. I used to love waking up at 12:30 for the football to start. 2 more hours now though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I hope football is the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Considering how I've slated Spurs as bottlers the last few weeks on several occasions, you just know they'll got to OT and do a job today. Sorry lads, all my fault.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

EF wrote: »
    I can see Berba and Rooney starting the game upfront together today. While I am no big fan of Berba he did have a big role to play in the last minute goal against City and surely he will be very much up for this game with so much at stake and against his former club!

He was nowhere near the ball for that goal! Evra, Obertan, back to evra, into Scholes. No berba there.

I hope united cone out of the blocks early today. Too many games against Spurs they've conceded the first and sometimes second goal.
    Put the pressure on early.
    Hoping ffor a 2-0 win an d Chelsea drawing with Stoke. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

united 2-1,

nicklauski wrote: »
    He was nowhere near the ball for that goal! Evra, Obertan, back to evra, into Scholes. No berba there.

If my memory serves me correctly I'm pretty sure Berba held the ball up nicely to start the move that led to the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

United know they have to go for broke so will attack Spurs from the start, therefore it will be a goalfest.

My bets;
    Berbatov to score & Dawson to be booked 7/2
    Utd 3-1 50/1
    Carrick to score 11/2

Come on . . .

oh ****

Rooney is a spectator at the u18s match at the moment

Commentator says " we presume Rooney wont be in the starting line up against spurs"

:(

• Advertisement

nicklauski wrote: »

I'm not one to often praise Berba but he did manage to hold the ball up in midfield and keep possession, surrounded but 3 or 4 city players, and lay the ball off for (the underrated) Evra. If Berba has a bad game bring Macheda on I say and give him a free role up front with Rooney.

Headshot wrote: »
    oh ****

Rooney is a spectator at the u18s match at the moment

Commentator says " we presume Rooney wont be in the starting line up against spurs"

:(

MINDGAMES.

Probably a plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

flahavaj wrote: »
    MINDGAMES.

Probably a plant.

Fingers crossed

I'm not one to often praise Berba but he did manage to hold the ball up in midfield and keep possession, surrounded but 3 or 4 city players, and lay the ball off for (the underrated) Evra. If Berba has a bad game bring Macheda on I say and give him a free role up front with Rooney.

Why do people keep saying this? That was a totally different move that broke down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How is Evra underrated?
    Most pundits say it's between him and Cashley for best left-back in the world.

MINDGAMES.

Probably a plant.

I reckon he's out flah

****ing big blow

ill go for this team

vds
    nev
    Rio
    vidic
    evra
    val
    fletch
    scholes
    Nani
    berba
    kiko

I was hoping to play 4-5-1 but with Rooney out I just think we cant now

Why do people keep saying this? That was a totally different move that broke down.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    How is Evra underrated?
    Most pundits say it's between him and Cashley for best left-back in the world.

All im saying is Berba did well in the lead up to Scholes' goal and Evra doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion. He is definitely better than Cole now IMO, probably better than Irwin in his day, aside from those amazing freekicks Irwin could take..it's all an aside anyway. I can't wait for kickoff!

Headshot wrote: »
    I reckon he's out flah

****ing big blow

Nah MUTV are in on the whole thing. Its like Bayern all over again.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

henry winter says it looks like no rooney or rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Spurs look very tempting now w/o rooney

• Advertisement
Advertisement