Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless help, please.

Options
  • 23-04-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I have a desktop in an attic room connected to a netgear modem router. I have a wall-plugged ethernet bridge connect to the router and the wall socket.
    I have another ethernet plug plugged into the socket and connected to another PC in a downstairs room in an extention. ( I used this ethernet bridge because it was too far to bring an ethernet cable fron the attic).

My Internet is working fine on both PCs.
    I have a Samsung NC10 that I want to connect wirelessly to the Internet anywhere in the house if possible. What do I need to do? Do I need a wireless router? modem? modem/router?
    If so how do I set it up? I'm confused. Love technology, but not an expert. Will attempt anything though!
    I thought I connected to the internet wirelessly before with my netbook, using the system that I have at present, but it doesn't connect now.
    I would be very grateful for any help or guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Hi Jess, I assume the Netgear Router has wireless functionality (Maybe tell us the model?), most do these days. If not (unlikely) you will need a Wireless Access Point to plug into one of the wired ports at the back of the Netgear router to enable wireless functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jess11

Thanks for your prompt reply, userod.
    Checked and the Netgear router is wireless.

My netbook seems to be picking up a strong signal from the Netgear router.

It asks me to choose a network to connect to and click connect.

When I do this, it says waiting for windows to connect to netgear network.

Underneath this it says "waiting for network......." and the green dots are running along as if waiting to connect.

On the taskbar on the main desktop there is a little computer symbol with a red x and when I put my mouse over it it says wireless network not connected.

I used to be able to connect to the internet wirelessly with tne netbook and I think the problem started when I (cant remember why) re set the system from the Samsung folder on my netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Jess, this problem was driving me mad, it was happening on my Dell Inspiron, but I may have a fix depending on your Operating System. This issue seems to be related to incompatibility between Manufacturer Drivers and the Netgear Router. Try as follows (assumes you are running Vista or Windows 7)

Click start and type in 'devmgmt.msc' in the Search box and hit enter. In the device manager box expand the 'Network Adapters' tab. Double click the Adapter in there that has 'Wireless' or 'Wifi' on it. Click the driver tab. If the 'Roll Back Driver' option is available click that and retry to connect to your wireless network.

That worked for me with the same problem. If it works for you, you will need to disable your automatic driver updates for this particular device so let me know.

If it doesn't work can you tell me what Operating System the netbook is running (Windows XP, Vista, 7... etc) also you might be able to check if it is 64 bit or 32 bit. You can check this by pressing start, typing "msinfo32" in the run or search box, and hitting enter.

Advertisement