Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New taste to Guinness?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

2 weeks (or so) I noticed a slightly new flavour to Guinness. And it seems to be spreading to every pub now. It seems to be in the new batches they get in.

Anyone else notice it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

2 weeks (or so) I noticed a slightly new flavour to Guinness. And it seems to be spreading to every pub now. It seems to be in the new batches they get in.

Anyone else notice it?

Not sure about the new taste but my local suddenly started pulling smooth creamy pints which had been consistent for a couple of months before Christmas ... then they closed :confused:

Hope they open up again for the summer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'll keep an ear out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I had three pints of Guinness last night and noticed a big difference. It was alot more creamy than usual almost sweet. The best ive had in a while and the pub i normally get my Guinness in does a mean pint.
    I put it down to the Guinness team people being there this week. Thought maybe they cleaned/changed the lines. I cant compare to anywhere else tho as i dont buy pints of Guinness from any other Pub in town as they are Rank!
    I did like it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The pint was beautiful tonight. Didn't taste it myself as I'm off the scoop, but it was milled out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I had three pints of Guinness last night and noticed a big difference. It was alot more creamy than usual almost sweet. The best ive had in a while and the pub i normally get my Guinness in does a mean pint.
    I put it down to the Guinness team people being there this week. Thought maybe they cleaned/changed the lines. I cant compare to anywhere else tho as i dont buy pints of Guinness from any other Pub in town as they are Rank!
    I did like it.

Maybe it was Murphy's you were drinking ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Guinness has a taste? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The flavour that I've noticed is not the best, it's almost sweetly metallic.. It's hard to explain. Maybe the quality teams have changed whatever they use to clean the pipes and it's leaving some residue on the lines but there's definitely a strange flavour to it. Not that it's stopped me drinking it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

All this stuff about the two stage pour, residue on the lines, good guinness pubs is beginning to annoy me.

Guinness is a fairly tasteless, mass-produced, well marketed stout. It is in Guinness's interest to have the quality the same across all pubs, and to make the taste as bland as possible.

I've had pints in semi-mythical Guinness pubs like Mulligans and Toners. And I've had pints in sweatshops like Whelans, Hogans etc. And there was no difference in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i find guinness very consistant wherever i am, whether here or abroad! As for the taste, as long as it isnt too cold its a fine drink. It may be the ultimate definition of a marcrobeer but it's still the best of all mass produced/marketed beer in my opinion. Although more of a fan of their foreign extra, i do like a pint if the bar i'm in hasnt got anything else i like. I wouldnt call it tasteless either.

Sergeant wrote: »
    All this stuff about the two stage pour, residue on the lines, good guinness pubs is beginning to annoy me.

Guinness is a fairly tasteless, mass-produced, well marketed stout. It is in Guinness's interest to have the quality the same across all pubs, and to make the taste as bland as possible.

I've had pints in semi-mythical Guinness pubs like Mulligans and Toners. And I've had pints in sweatshops like Whelans, Hogans etc. And there was no difference in taste.

The two part pour had nothing to do with the taste as such, it's to ensure you get a good head on it, and helps with not getting a sloppy pint. I've tasted differences in Guinness in the same pub on the same night, most pubs generally have a consistant taste, but every now and again you get a fantastic pint or a ****e one. Guinness is not alone in this, it occurs with all draft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sergeant wrote: »

That's interesting, because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between chateauneuf du pape and chateau thames embankment. Whatever youre into I guess.

Advertisement