Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Avenue...gone?

• 23-04-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I should know better, but I'm starting a thread on hearsay. Has Electric Avenue shut? I'm seeing facebook comments, but nothing concrete.

Mods, delete/lock if inappropriate please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I hope not...Looking forward to seeing Special Brew on Sunday week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Not gone yet..but going.

Will be closing Sunday week and there will be a great weekend of gigs to mark the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

permenantly? or just til the whole Tweedy thing is sorted?

Permanently. And the whole tweedy group thing will never be sorted i'm afraid. There isn't any tweedy group anywhere. Hopefully Mick from EA will go onto another venue in the future because he's the best thing to happen to live music in Waterford in many a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Heard this last night.

Shame really, its the only alternative late bar in Waterford since twister vicks stopped doing the late license (it was stopped, correct me if Im wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Yeah it's a bummer. Mick is a gent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Another nail in the coffin of Waterford nitelife.

The place at the mo is the pits. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't I went to the place that much but I had a few good nights in there and saw some great gigs. Sad day.

When did twister vicks stop the late bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

That's a shame. Was never my favourite place in the world but still never good to see a place shut like that, especially when there could be more following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

ziedth wrote: »

Just after Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Bad to hear that, but it really shows how bad the nightlife is gone in Waterford, pitty it wasnt Harveys couldnt happen to nicer people then:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

so thats nightlife and daylife gone.

what has Waterford actually got going for it these days?

Very little. Something needs to be done in this country...people want to go out but why pay €5 for a glass of wine when you can get a bottle for less than that.

People say cheap drink will encourage binge drinking and alcoholism...but it's all ready available everywhere!!!! The difference is in a pub there will be a security.

If something is not done soon this country will collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Very little. Something needs to be done in this country...people want to go out but why pay €5 for a glass of wine when you can get a bottle for less than that.

People say cheap drink will encourage binge drinking and alcoholism...but it's all ready available everywhere!!!! The difference is in a pub there will be a security.

If something is not done soon this country will collapse.
    very well said!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ziedth wrote: »

Get a bike. you can stay in there all night then. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I know most of the better dj nights are now happening at the basement venue behind revoultion... They Are also planning on getting some amazing live acts out there too.. The venue is unreal, really mdern and loads of drink offers on... Great size too and a lovely huge smokin area at d side for those who need it ... Must better lay out then ea too, new stage being built in there and rs a nice intimate venue for around 300 or so ... Anytime I have been in there it's been class so far, already had some top nights put in there at dance stuff and live stuff , so even more live stuff planned will be great

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This was posted by Mick on another forum:
    Electric Avenue & The Loft are closing down next weekend. In the current difficult economic times with banks and receivers now in control of a lot of Waterford's entertainment properties, I have taken it as far as I can. I have managed to keep it going for nearly 4 years now on a shoestring budget and am very proud about the quality of live music and clubnights we have hosted in this time. We always saw ourselves as the independent alternative venue in Waterford for rock music and dance music, but now that more mainstream operators with deeper pockets have moved into our territory, I am unable to compete and don't have any more money to lose.

On a happy note, we fully intend going out with a bang so invite you all to come and join us next weekend to see off EA and the Loft in style. Thanks very much to all of you that have supported us with your custom over the last 4 years and particularly to the bands, DJs and promoters that stuck with us to the end.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Abouttobebanned......I bet your the type who love to see everything close in town just so u can bitch about the town ha ha :) . Personaly I'm glad flash has opened up the basement to djs and now live acts... At least with ea closing it won't be as bad if we still have a place to go for your alternative night out and what's more it's a better more modern venue IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thats a real shame. such a pity all the decent alternative spots are always muscled out. i was always impressed with the acts ea managed to book. there needs to be some major replanning within the city entertainment wise. there is far too much crammed down and around john street while the rest of the place becomes a ****ing ghost town at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

bring back the good old days its what waterford needs and it may very well get sometime soon???

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Cant believe EA will be gone , where will we get to see new bands now ? They had some great acts over the years !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

savic04 wrote: »
    Abouttobebanned......I bet your the type who love to see everything close in town just so u can bitch about the town ha ha :) . Personaly I'm glad flash has opened up the basement to djs and now live acts... At least with ea closing it won't be as bad if we still have a place to go for your alternative night out and what's more it's a better more modern venue IMO

Stop shilling on a thread about another venue closing down.

EA is/was one of the few decent places in town, especially if you wanted to hear proper music.

savic04 wrote: »

Savic, all I want is to live in a city with a thriving night life. I don't particularly have time for people who just want to plug a place, while pretending they have nothing to do with it. Escape is grand, and the revolution basement bar is a lovely spot but it's not the only place that has house DJs...rubys and masons have them as well. And there were bands in the basement bar last year, they didn't work too well tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

very sad to hear ea is going -ive had a few great nights in there, most notably derrick carter aug bank hol 08.
    layout wasn't the greatest and was a bit of a sweat box but its the people and the music that make the atmosphere.

RIP electric avenue, i'll miss you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Saw two amazing gigs there; God Is An Astronaut (whose album last year was in the Top 100 listened on Last.fm) and the Northern Irish band And So I Watch You From Afar (who headlined a stage at Oxegen last year). Sad to see a place like that go. Many fond memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What is the loft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wont Beat Meataliita and G'N'R down there brillent tribute bands.

Wonder if its true about flash buying the bowery. Mabye the bowery mite be the new EA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Think its Langtons the Bowery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

seanybiker wrote: »
    Get a bike. you can stay in there all night then. :p

Sounds like a plan... I hear you're not getting much use out of yours lately! I'll give ya a fifty for it! :p

Advertisement