Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Avenue...gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The forum is closing down also apparently..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Jaysus I hope that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

It would not surprise me the way things are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Jesus the whole town may as well close down:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so with Ea gone and The Fourm if True gone then the only nightclubs in Waterford city are

Escape (No Fear of Closing Down)
    Harveys (No Fear Of Closing Down)
    Kazbar (No Fear Of Closing Down)

Rubys (Tweedy Owned)
    Masons (Tweedy Owned)
    Oxygen (Tweedy Owned)

So if all the Tweedy niteclubs close, than we only have 3 nightclubs to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

dazftw wrote: »
    Yes and no.

This Summer will give us a taste of things to come, I'd imagine.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so with Ea gone and The Fourm if True gone then the only nightclubs in Waterford city are

Escape (No Fear of Closing Down)
    Harveys (No Fear Of Closing Down)
    Kazbar (No Fear Of Closing Down)

Rubys (Tweedy Owned)
    Masons (Tweedy Owned)
    Oxygen (Tweedy Owned)

So if all the Tweedy niteclubs close, than we only have 3 nightclubs to choose from.

Well as we know Rubys Masons and Oxygen are no longer Tweedy Owned...they will probably have new owners in the summer and who knows that will happen.

People criticise Rubys but it is a waterford institution and everyone has a story or two to tell about the place. It would be a shame to see it go.

It's free on sat nights before 12 btw, fiver afterwards. Looks like the days of 10 euro into a club are over. About time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

savic04 wrote: »
    I know most of the better dj nights are now happening at the basement venue behind revoultion... They Are also planning on getting some amazing live acts out there too.. The venue is unreal, really mdern and loads of drink offers on... Great size too and a lovely huge smokin area at d side for those who need it ... Must better lay out then ea too, new stage being built in there and rs a nice intimate venue for around 300 or so ... Anytime I have been in there it's been class so far, already had some top nights put in there at dance stuff and live stuff , so even more live stuff planned will be great
    How is business going for you down there boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

ha ha ha.. going great actually..

na to be honest i have nothing to do with the place or am not plugging it...
    but at least its a space where people like me have options. what annoys me in this town is the amount of people saying there is nothing on, no nitelife...

when in reality if rubys/harveys etc isnt your thing, there are some of the best alternative nights (whether it be dance music or live stuff) in the country.. but the same people rarely support them.. the fact we still have venues offering the sort of nights albeit in more commercial venues like Revolution or as Rubys or Masons even, I think is a good
    thing, and for people still bitching about the lack of nights, i find it annoying.......

EA was class, The Loft was a great spot, sadly they are gone, but as mentioned above we still have venues offering similar type of nights, so its not as if the ''town is a ghostown'' which i found was the topic of the thread.. thats why I mentioned The Basement above...

typical of waterford people though.....same about the soccer club...''wouldnt go out there coz the standard is ****''... 90% of the people saying that , have nver been to the RSC! but the second WUFC folds a la Cork or Derry.. .they will all be on here saying how **** waterford is, we dont even have a football team!

so instead of bitching on forums such as these, why not support what is left in the town wherever it maybe.. I know loads of people living in other places in ireland and abroad who wish they had the options of 'alternative' night life scene we have here, and i think its still doing very well.. I have never seen so many Dance nights or live bands actually playing gigs here.

rant over :)

WTF

Surely no way.. I know that restaurant/comedy club thing was a right off, but upstairs must be doing well.. The owner spent a small fortune upgrading it a few years ago, so doubt it will close.. if it does, I would think another owner will have the same type of venue there...

• Advertisement

Don't think the forum is closing down..in fact I'm almost certain it's not.

yeah i think thats bull****..

That place must be making a fortune with the diverse events they rent it out for.. Big name comedians, big name DJS, bands, even the likes of JEdward etc... so it has to be doing well, although the main room/restaurant thing must be putting a massive dent in his profits...

btw abouttobebanned, i wasnt being serious about ya on the last page.. it was joke :)
    hence the smiley.. i know from other posts in the past you are of the same mindset as myself to be honest..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah lads.. can we avoid the whole forum closing down things?

The last time we had something like that, the business owners were not very happy and it turned out false!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

Ah jayus, LOVED EA...saw some great gigs there. It will def be missed. And mick was very cool about giving new bands a gig in there as well and obvioulsy he booked some great established bands.

What will happen to the Alternative/new bands now?

Depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Saw some great gigs in EA, highlight for me were Mercury Rev. They completly blew the crowd away. Also wedding present played last year midwek and I believe one of the national newspapers had it in the top 5 gigs of the year countrywide.

Will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Haven't spent much time in EA in the last few years,
    But spent many a night in the loft and loved the place.

Some of the dj nights in there were unbelievable and sorely missed
    but as Savic said earlier in the thread, the Basement is turning out to be a great venue for the dj gigs.

Anybody know anything about a Music Factory opening in town?

http://www.themusicfactory.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 4MWD

Hi. Ciaran from The Forum here. I have kept away from replying to comments about us (to be fair they have been many more good then bad over the years) on Boards.ie up to now but I cannot let this bull***t go on about us closing down!
    Why do fools comment publicly on things that they obviously know nothing about and do they not realise that they can create fear amongst staff and customers of the place involved by their ignorance?
    It is really tough times at the moment for nearly every business and I'm sure a lot won't survive and I feel for anyone involved in those places as they and their staff have paid a high price for the mismanagement of our economy.
    We are lucky in The Forum to have a very diverse range of events taking place here and therefore we have a wide range of customers so we are not dependant on any one particular market segment. We are open 20 years this month and 2010 actually is proving to be one of our busiest years ever.
    Nobody can be absolutely certain that they will ride out this recession. If the downturn was to continue and people just stopped going out then we could do nothing about it but what I can tell you is that we are much better placed to survive then a lot of others and we have absolutely every intention of being here for the foreseeable future.
    Maybe dazftw you might think before you type as when you post on-line it's not the same as being in a pub and taking through your h**e !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

good to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

burkey85 wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about a Music Factory opening in town?

http://www.themusicfactory.ie/

I've heard rumours they were looking at taking over the premises of The Bowery by Reginalds Tower.

I'd love that to be true as I'd like to see some more nightlife options outside of the "John Street Village".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've heard rumours they were looking at taking over the premises of The Bowery by Reginalds Tower.

I'd love that to be true as I'd like to see some more nightlife options outside of the "John Street Village".

Isn't the The Bowery being turned into some kind of Viking museum or something? Can't remember where I heard that so it might not be true at all.

• Advertisement

This town is becoming famous for its rumours!

The Bowery has been bought by nobody as of yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This town is becoming famous for its rumours!

The Bowery has been bought by nobody as of yet.

They were doing work inside the back of it yesterday anyway.

I hear its going to become a 5 star hotel. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hear its going to be knocked and become apartments :D

Well that's just because the council forced the bank to clean it up. A wise man told me it's called a Dereliction order. Basically if they don't clean it up then the council will get people to clean it up for them and charge all kinds of money to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

4MWD wrote: »
    Hi. Ciaran from The Forum here. I have kept away from replying to comments about us (to be fair they have been many more good then bad over the years) on Boards.ie up to now but I cannot let this bull***t go on about us closing down!
    Why do fools comment publicly on things that they obviously know nothing about and do they not realise that they can create fear amongst staff and customers of the place involved by their ignorance?
    It is really tough times at the moment for nearly every business and I'm sure a lot won't survive and I feel for anyone involved in those places as they and their staff have paid a high price for the mismanagement of our economy.
    We are lucky in The Forum to have a very diverse range of events taking place here and therefore we have a wide range of customers so we are not dependant on any one particular market segment. We are open 20 years this month and 2010 actually is proving to be one of our busiest years ever.
    Nobody can be absolutely certain that they will ride out this recession. If the downturn was to continue and people just stopped going out then we could do nothing about it but what I can tell you is that we are much better placed to survive then a lot of others and we have absolutely every intention of being here for the foreseeable future.
    Maybe dazftw you might think before you type as when you post on-line it's not the same as being in a pub and taking through your h**e !!!

I never said it was closing down for definite. I said apparently. Maybe someone could shed some light on it? I heard from a pretty reliable source today(wont name, names now)that it will be touch and go for the next several months. Something to do with the main DJ leaving.

Don't get me wrong if I go out on a Saturday night ill only go to the forum.. Its the best place in town tbh. I'm not trying to spread rumours or put "fear" in people or your staff.

Here's my opinion from a paying customer. Bring the door charge down to €5 and your drink price down in general and that will make people buy more from you and less from the off license before they go out which is what a lot of people do. I only spend about €10 at most when I go out cause seriously I feel sick paying €5 per bottle when I can buy 6 for €10. Same goes for other drinks(but not all). Id happily spend €30+ if I knew I was getting my moneys worth. The recession has hit us all. I've heard friends say the same music is played every week. I've never had a problem with it personally but maybe new DJ's will change things up a bit?

But hey what do I know? I'm just a arrogant fool. :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

session in my gaff until there's a new venue for untz.

I don't think someone like Mick from ea willbe able to walk away. Let's hope he still runs events, just at diff venue... I know he ran some things in the forum so at least he might have some nghts there, or some live acts in town.

The town has a lot to thank him for aswell as people who run the nights in venues as were mentioned in this thread... It's tough times all round not just for venues but for promoters, band bookings too

That's why I was saying we should be supporting what is left in whatever venues because if we don't , then Waterford really will be a ghost town both during te day and at night.

City centre has been left to rot by the council...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

City centre has been left to rot by the council...
    Sorry but that's just bollocks. The Council get a lot of criticism, some of which is deserved, but to say they are leaving the city rot is ridiculous. It is not their fault that Tweedy Group has failed and that nightclubs are struggling, and they don't run the nightclub industry in the city.

And they have been doing a lot of good work around the city that you and a lot of other people just ignore. For example look at the new Theatre Royal, the new crystal visitors centre, the new glass walls along the quay, the Viking Triangle project, the new bio park at Kilbarry. They have recently issued warnings to owners of derelict building threatening fines if they don't clean their buildings and they will be painting many public buildings soon. Just a few things they are working on to improve the city. They are also very active in engaging with local businesses in promoting the city and putting on the various festivals and events.

It can't be denied that they make mistakes at times but it is an insult to Council staff and city councillors to say they are letting the place rot.

Seriously , talk a wlak around Waterford's so called city centre and count the derlict pubs, shops, businesses.... the place has been left to rot, there is no question about it..

As someone who works in the city centre, there is very little going for it.
    The new crystal centre, and T.Royal is all well and good but what about doing things for the people who really need it, the average joe on the street losing his job....

I find it a disgrace that Waterford people are rejoicing about that new crystal centre, yeah it will look the part, but whey not do it a few years ago?
    Why did it take 100's of people to get let go, why did it take 100's of people to lose their lifetime pensions that they paid into.

The people who the council are in with now, left Waterford Crystal go bust and left good honest Waterford people go broke, they left peoples pensions be swalloed up by greed....all becasue they could get the brand cheaper and knew that the so called council/city government would do anything to help them create a few jobs...
    and the council did.....

It took a couple of hundred hard working people who helped make Waterford what it is the past 20-30years, to lose their jobs and their pensions, before the council left the ESB be taken over to create the centre.... That project should of been done years ago and maybe just maybe, the factory would still be doing ok now instead of been left to rot.... i know the council cant be faulted for that, it was bad management amongst other things.

Car parking, poor city centre layout, too much pedestrian routes have made Waterford a city that is hard to do business in...and its why a lot of the bigger chains have eithe pulled out or wont come here.

The council/city government didnt act quick enough IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Seriously , talk a wlak around Waterford's so called city centre and count the derlict pubs, shops, businesses.... the place has been left to rot, there is no question about it..

As someone who works in the city centre, there is very little going for it.
    The new crystal centre, and T.Royal is all well and good but what about doing things for the people who really need it, the average joe on the street losing his job....

I find it a disgrace that Waterford people are rejoicing about that new crystal centre, yeah it will look the part, but whey not do it a few years ago?
    Why did it take 100's of people to get let go, why did it take 100's of people to lose their lifetime pensions that they paid into.

The people who the council are in with now, left Waterford Crystal go bust and left good honest Waterford people go broke, they left peoples pensions be swalloed up by greed....all becasue they could get the brand cheaper and knew that the so called council/city government would do anything to help them create a few jobs...
    and the council did.....

It took a couple of hundred hard working people who helped make Waterford what it is the past 20-30years, to lose their jobs and their pensions, before the council left the ESB be taken over to create the centre.... That project should of been done years ago and maybe just maybe, the factory would still be doing ok now instead of been left to rot.... i know the council cant be faulted for that, it was bad management amongst other things.

Car parking, poor city centre layout, too much pedestrian routes have made Waterford a city that is hard to do business in...and its why a lot of the bigger chains have eithe pulled out or wont come here.

The council/city government didnt act quick enough IMO

Some fairly bitter, short sighted comments there, imho. Waterford people are their own worst enemy.

There are as many shops opening as closing, if not more, in the city centre. Ironically, Waterford seems to be doing better in the recession than in the boom.

Advertisement