Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Avenue...gone?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

My views are not bitter I personaly have no reason to be, they are fact....

I have high regard for people making a differance in the city, I just think it is a bit late for a lot of whats been done.

by the way, I have ran businesses in the city, have dealt with lots of council offices over the years so I know what im talking about and who im talking about.

The Electric Ave thread isnt the place to carry this on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

City centre has been left to rot by the counci

That's just typical of a knee-jerk type of reaction I think. You can't blame people for being passionate about their city as long as they can come up with some reasonable suggestions for improvement alongside what they think the more negative aspects of the city are. Healthier if its more of a two-pronged approach rather than when people just come on here to rant and can offer no alternatives that they would like to see in place.
    TBH I think that the city centre looks bad due to the relatively disgraceful state that a lot of shop-owners have allowed their store fronts to become. A new lick of paint would do the city centre the world of good. It's just too gray, cracked and broken as it is now. A lot of places should know better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just look at how the City Council are making buildings like the bowery clean up their exteriors...I think they're doing a fine job with what they have at present tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I have to completly disagree with Savic when he says there has been too much pedestrianisation ... there hasn´t been enough in my opinion ... it´d make it a far more pleasant experience if all of Michael st/John St was pedestrianised.

any news at all on the Newgate deveopment?

or possibility of WIT buying the old crystal site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

savic04 wrote: »
    The people who the council are in with now, left Waterford Crystal go bust and left good honest Waterford people go broke, they left peoples pensions be swalloed up by greed....all becasue they could get the brand cheaper and knew that the so called council/city government would do anything to help them create a few jobs...
    and the council did.....

I think you should get your facts right before you comment in future Savic04. The people who "the council are in with now left Waterford Crystal go bust". This couldn't be further from the truth, KPS or WWRD holdings are the company who came in to rescue Waterford Crystal from complete collapse. They are a venture capital company who didn't need to keep any jobs in Waterford, in fact they were expected not to but through some very serious, hardline discussions we have a manufacturing plant and visitors centre opening in Waterford in June which is going to be of huge benefit to the city! Terrible as it sounds but if we didnt have this not many visitors would come to Waterford, so I say fair play to all involved and I know a few.

• Advertisement

deisebob1 wrote: »
    I think you should get your facts right before you comment in future Savic04............................. so I say fair play to all involved and I know a few.

my facts are right... they are a business at the end of the day and did what was right by them, dont have a problem with that... its the fact it was left get that far is my problem.

as for the last bit.. that you know some of them, surley thats why you think so much of them?...although the fact its creating jobs here is a god send and i would give them a 100% credit for that. But if they had money to invest in what the ESB will cost to make the centre, aswell as the buying the brand.. why not just invest in the company as is, and save the jobs, instead of creating new ones... that is what my arguement is in relation to the council,... that why did it take the factory going bust for this kind of investment to take shape in the city centre... this is a sure fire winner for tourism in waterford, and as i said its superb its happening here, but why wasnt it done years ago when it could of helped the factory and its staff...............maybe its just wishful thinking on my part :)

the sickening thing about it is, i have freinds and family who paid into pensions for 25 years + .....and thats gone, with little or no help from our government natiionaly, not sure what help was given on a local scale. But its amazing to see the effort put in to get the New site off the ground.. like hundreds of people I know, why wasnt the same effort put in to save the factory in the first place by all concerned.

on the other hand, why should the council/local gov save bad management on the old Waterford Crystal part....using the retirement fund for funding was a disgrace and should never been allowed...cant blame the council for that! :)

comeraghs wrote: »
    I have to completly disagree with Savic when he says there has been too much pedestrianisation ... there hasn´t been enough in my opinion ... it´d make it a far more pleasant experience if all of Michael st/John St was pedestrianised.

any news at all on the Newgate deveopment?

or possibility of WIT buying the old crystal site?

Why not go into every business in Broad St, Michael sT, Barronstrand St and get a % of how many are happy , becasue I know for a fact in relation to a lot of businesses in those area's that I work with, there are very few happy with how things turned out in the long run

it looks superb and im with you when you say it does look like good and make the city a pleasant experice, but businesses count the cost in the long run, things seem to be changing prehaps for the better, so who knows. But you would be amazed the amount of complaints the city got over it through the years from local business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Why exactly would business's complain about pedestrianiation, if that is what your point is in relation to. Surely it would increase footfall in such areas and increase business? I think it would definitely create a nice flow through the city centre because as things are a lot of areas are somewhat disjointed from others and hence fall into disrepair etc

I know what your saying and from one point I agree but belive me the amount of complaints was and still is incredible. From someone who ran a business in one of the area's, I can back it up to say it was certainly one of the reasons turnover was down, and lots of others in the area said the same, but as I said it certainly looks the part and feels good, could of been planned better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

dazftw wrote: »
    I never said it was closing down for definite. I said apparently. Maybe someone could shed some light on it? I heard from a pretty reliable source today(wont name, names now)that it will be touch and go for the next several months.

But hey what do I know? I'm just a arrogant fool. :)

Are you honestly saying that your source is more reliable than the actual owner of The Forum ???

• Advertisement

burkey85 wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that your source is more reliable than the actual owner of The Forum ???

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

burkey85 wrote: »

Where did I ever say that?

My source works in the forum so I do think it would be pretty reliable. I don't see why they would lie about their own job.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

My source works in the forum so I do think it would be pretty reliable. I don't see why they would lie about their own job.
    Sssh before sully comes along with his black book lol

I heard something(from a pretty reliable source) and I posted it. I don't see what the big deal is. I presume I was right unless the owner wants to come on and prove me wrong.

What's annoying me is I'm being accused of spreading "rumours" and "fear". Which is total nonsense.

I'm not trolling or insulting people either.

You just got unlucky in the fact that the owner came on to defend himself and his business.

Dozens of people start rumours on this forum each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think we should differentiate between the Forum as a venue and the individual events they have on there. Of the stories I've heard (from employees and regulars), everyone has said that the Forum is closing when, upon further probing, they really mean that Traffik, the Saturday indie club, is at risk. This is because many people consider Traffik to be The Forum and therefore use the two names interchangeably.

Numbers have been declining for a long time. In the immediate past few weeks, this is undoubtedly due to the upcoming exams and would be a trend that all pubs/clubs are used to year in, year out but the forum has seen numbers declining long before students even considered needing to study. I think it was around this time last year that they introduced their Free In B4 12 promotion which was well received amongst regulars but has cost them an awful lot in potential revenues.

People who can't make it up to the Forum before 12 go elsewhere now because the Forum is the only place charging €10 and you feel kind of cheated having to pay €10 at 12:05. The Forum also can't really reduce this because of all the money they're losing from leaving people before 12 in for free and they have to try make some kind of money back at the door.

Seeing as it's a long term promotion, they're effectively locked into it. I know that having been getting in for free for the past year that I wouldn't pay €10 again, except on very special occasions such as Spraoi and New Years. Many others that I have spoken to have voiced similar opinions. This doesn't really leave many traditional options open to the venue for trying to make Traffik into a money making event which is why I've heard (and have believed myself) that it's at risk.

Yeah I should really have said that from the start.. My bad.

On a serious note though I really don't want to see it to close down. If it does I probably wont go out any more until a similar type venue opened up. I hear oxygen will be doing an indie type night soon?

I think though if the drink came down a bit they would sell a lot more. Most people drink before they go out cause its cheaper! I also wouldn't mind paying €5 flat fee instead of €10 after 12. With a free drink or something.

I don't have a clue about business or the costs to run the place but these things seem pretty obvious to me. What's that saying buy cheap buy twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

The big problem facing all these venues is what it costs to run a night.
    When the goverment are charging nearly 500 euro for a bar extension,the running costs, such as heat,elec,insurance,rates,staff wages and so on it's getting harder to make money and when some pleb smashes a toilet or kicks in a door and then tries to sue the owners for compensation because they hurt themselves or the bouncer quite rightly in most cases gave them a thumping, it can wipe out the usually small profit that can be made

to be fair to daz... loads of peole make the same mistake.

I often here this venue or that venue is closing when really its the night/event usually being run by seperate people, is closing or moving on..

aziz, imo anyway, bouncers should never be thumping anyone, self defence maybe a different matter, but i wonder if they are trained to be punching people, or is it to restrain punters like stewards at football games/sporting events? Sometimes if bouncer thumps or whatever, that makes the trouble ten times worse... They have some hard job in fairness, id hate to be one, I would not take half the **** they do, i just wouldnt be able...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You just got unlucky in the fact that the owner came on to defend himself and his business.

Dozens of people start rumours on this forum each week.

News to me! Give me the rumours started this week, or last week, or the week before? I am intrigued. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Sully wrote: »
    News to me! Give me the rumours started this week, or last week, or the week before? I am intrigued. :)

Erm...I started this thread based upon a rumour...which turned out to be true ;)

reckon there should be some sort of prizes given out to people who start rumours that turn out to be true :)

ha ha

The Tweedy Group thread is blitzed with rumours.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wont Beat Meataliita and G'N'R down there brillent tribute bands.

Wonder if its true about flash buying the bowery. Mabye the bowery mite be the new EA.
    Think its Langtons the Bowery

I could probably go on quoting all day. I'm not having a go..they're not malicious rumours and sure we all do it. Call it speculation if you will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

savic04 wrote: »
    to be fair to daz... loads of peole make the same mistake.

I often here this venue or that venue is closing when really its the night/event usually being run by seperate people, is closing or moving on..

aziz, imo anyway, bouncers should never be thumping anyone, self defence maybe a different matter, but i wonder if they are trained to be punching people, or is it to restrain punters like stewards at football games/sporting events? Sometimes if bouncer thumps or whatever, that makes the trouble ten times worse... They have some hard job in fairness, id hate to be one, I would not take half the **** they do, i just wouldnt be able...
    no its against the law for a start to just go and thump someone just coz ya might have seen em break a toilet or something a drunk and disorderly person would be restraint by weight in numbers and ejected from the premises or in some cases if is really aggressive restraint and held until the gardai arrive!! bouncers are licenced and must show it at all times usually in a strap around an arm!! did bouncing for years meself and still do every now and then and to be honest in my time i,ve never really had much trouble but when the ****e hits the fan it really can and ya have to go to work alert at all times!!

Advertisement