Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Morning Ireland go on air on Saturdays

• 23-04-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I think there is a case for putting on a version of Morning Ireland from 8 am on Saturday mornings.

Radio 1 and Newstalk are no-go areas until 10 am on a Saturday when John Murray's business programme comes on. Why not drop the business tag and give him a Saturday morning current affairs show? His sense of humour would give it a nice Saturday morning feel.

Radio 4 broadcasts its Today programme on Saturdays. The tone of show is slightly different to weekdays with more left field topics and features.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dublin John:rolleyes:

Jaysus give us a break from that auld droll Doooob accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course, its pathetic that RTE has spent decades avoiding doing some hard work on a Saturday morning. The BBC 4 flagship Today programme goes out between 7 and 9, the tone is lighter or at least lighter elements are in the mix but if there's serious stuff to discuss and analyse they will. No doubt the head of news in RTE radio would bather on about Maid Marians show being a suitible place for current affairs blah blah blah..

(not to derial the thread but the Business is truly sh-i-te, a joke of programme)

mike65 wrote: »
    Of course, its pathetic that RTE has spent decades avoiding doing some hard work on a Saturday morning. The BBC 4 flagship Today programme goes out between 7 and 9, the tone is lighter or at least lighter elements are in the mix but if there's serious stuff to discuss and analyse they will. No doubt the head of news in RTE radio would bather on about Maid Marians show being a suitible place for current affairs blah blah blah..

(not to derial the thread but the Business is truly sh-i-te, a joke of programme)

Agree with you totally, Murray acting the bollox and failing miserably.

One way or t'other lads

Either take it seriously or make it a comedy.

Mark Mortell had a repeat around that time.... that's the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

mike65 wrote: »

I have to disagree. John Murray's review of the week including all the jargon can be hilarious.
    At least we agree that RTE need to fill a gaping hole on Saturday mornings. Newstalk could also do better. Their Saturday morning schedule is extremely dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Extending Saturdayview and having it on earlier would be an idea.

• Advertisement

It is odd how Saturday morning is so poor, unless you rate Brendan O'Briens random, discursive crazy-paving presentation style. Which I don't.

It's better than what RTE have to offer.

Murray could be good if he dropped the 'professional Dooob' image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

kpbdublin wrote: »
    I have to disagree. John Murray's review of the week including all the jargon can be hilarious.
    At least we agree that RTE need to fill a gaping hole on Saturday mornings. Newstalk could also do better. Their Saturday morning schedule is extremely dull.

But is it meant to be hilarious? Or is it meant to be a serious business show or a p1ss take? Brendan O'Brien on Newstalk can be quite good - he's an old hand - but, God, he gets some morons on as guests. He had Yer man Philbin Bowman on a few times and he's a twat of gargantuan proportions.

But is it meant to be hilarious? Or is it meant to be a serious business show or a p1ss take? Brendan O'Brien on Newstalk can be quite good - he's an old hand - but, God, he gets some morons on as guests. He had Yer man Philbin Bowman on a few times and he's a twat of gargantuan proportions.

Hilarious!!

There's the problem I outlined about 4 posts ago!!

Doesn't know what it is.

Now I don't want to be morbid but PB is dead around 10 years.

WTF:eek:

Its the son of JPB, Abie Philbin Bowman how pops up now and gain.

• Advertisement

Say it's not so:eek:

Say it's not so:eek:

;) Nah! He's the son of John and brother to Jonathon.

Right, thanks for that.

Tell me he doesn't wear a dickie bow and have that long floppy hair and crumpled suits like the other two?

I couldn't really take that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

Hilarious!!

There's the problem I outlined about 4 posts ago!!

Doesn't know what it is.

Now I don't want to be morbid but PB is dead around 10 years.

WTF:eek:

Is there a rule that states that a show about business has to be serious and po-faced? By its nature business is a tad dull. Murray has developed his own kind of programme and by and large it works.

kpbdublin wrote: »
    Is there a rule that states that a show about business has to be serious and po-faced? By its nature business is a tad dull. Murray has developed his own kind of programme and by and large it works.

Fair point.

Works for you, but doesn't work for me.

To me it doesn't merit an hour slot on Saturday morning.

I do accept though that you and others might find it interesting.

I prefer news as 'hard news' no fcuking around delivered with a neutral accent.

Dub accents reduce the gravitas for me.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement