Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW Gran Coupe Concept

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Really like it, not that i'll ever be able to afford one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Think it's pretty ugly tbh

It's the proportions as opposed to the lines which put me off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/249077/

Have to say, i think this thing looks absolutely fantastic, and aparently its gonna make production in the from of the new 8 series

Decent pics here: http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2010-gran_coupe_concept/

Thoughts on this?

(Surprised it isnt up here already considering how many bmw fanboys we have :D)

It's just a car, all it does is take you from "A" to "B"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Then I'd suggest you won't enjoy this forum much. Also, please don't quote so many photos.

That is a beast of a car!!
    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    It's just a car, all it does is take you from "A" to "B"

Welcome to the motors forum where people who have an interest in cars come to talk about all things motor related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bonnet is slightly too long but the back looks amazing

eoin wrote: »
    Then I'd suggest you won't enjoy this forum much. Also, please don't quote so many photos.

Ha, don't get me wrong, if I could afford a really nice car I'd probably buy one.

Not a BMW though.

I like the new Superb, if I had the cash I'd buy a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hold on then a Superb you say, as in a Skoda?, you're right at home on this forum then :D

Hold on then a Superb you say, as in a Skoda?, you're right at home on this forum then :D

They're a class job, ticks all the boxes I'd want in a car.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Nothing coupe about it in the slightest, it's just a very pretty large luxury saloon really, á la 7 series, S class etc except prettier.

• Advertisement

They're a class job, ticks all the boxes I'd want in a car.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    They certainly do that, do a search and see that they're recommended on this forum a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well at least the Superb has a big boot and economical diesel engine. ;)

They should just retool the E24 and be done with it.

They certainly do that, do a search and see that they're recommended on this forum a lot...

I read an edition of Top Gear mag in a doctors surgery a while back and they were saying it was an excellent car.

A relative has the older version, 05 and I was in it a while back and just thought "this is a class car" so I'm sure the new one is even better!

Sorry, I'm subverting this BMW thread into a Skoda thread!

This thing would have a big boot too though, dunno about the other thing, i suppose, you could drop a 1.9tdi into it though, then it would be some weapon...

Many threads fall victim to that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I read an edition of Top Gear mag in a doctors surgery a while back and they were saying it was an excellent car.

A relative has the older version, 05 and I was in it a while back and just thought "this is a class car" so I'm sure the new one is even better!

It just a car to get you from A to B.......

Correct!;)

The point I was making, albeit not particularly clearly is that is I had the cash, I would buy a nice car but the limit to what I'd shell out for would be something like a Superb.

Even if I was a multi millionaire I wouldn't buy some 150 grand supercar, to me it's just overkill but to each his own.

Nothing like having a dream to one day, money no object, own a big skoda. May your dreams come true one day, lord willing.

Nothing like having a dream to one day, money no object, own a big skoda. May your dreams come true one day, lord willing.

Jeepers, do I detect a hint of sarcasm there!

Twas the dream of many a young pup in the old Soviet Union!

• Advertisement

you can post two sentences in the same post.

Look like this.....

I am only ribbing you really. But if I have millions, I would have a fleet of cars and not a skoda to be seen amongst them. Its not that the supurb is bad, it just that I like good cars.

Look at that BMW at the top of this thread, its fanstasic. Imposing, high tech and would be rare in paddy spec Ireland.

Look like this.....

Well I thought of them sequentially, once I had thought of the second sentance the first one was already posted.

I can't promise it won't happen again but I'll try.

Look like this.....

I am only ribbing you really. But if I have millions, I would have a fleet of cars and not a skoda to be seen amongst them. Its not that the supurb is bad, it just that I like good cars.

To have a fleet of cars, you'd have to have plenty of millions....

If I had millions, I'd have one good car plus a nice house here, nice house in France, nice boat, nice clothes etc.

Edit button, see I changed my post already above.

Look like this.....

Look at that BMW at the top of this thread, its fanstasic. Imposing, high tech and would be rare in paddy spec Ireland.

I'm sure it's a fantastic car, all German cars are.

Not for me though, I prefer big comfy cars to sports cars.

Even these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I prefer big comfy cars to sports cars.

But the BMW at the top of the page isn't a sports car, it's about 30 feet long!

Even these?

I think we can forgive Germany those as they were made when she was still labouring under the yoke of Soviet bloc oppression.

West Germany was churning out fantastic cars at that time.

JCDUB wrote: »
    Nothing coupe about it in the slightest, it's just a very pretty large luxury saloon really, á la 7 series, S class etc except prettier.

What defines a coupé is a good question as it's not really a firmly defined type of car. Roughly speaking, I'd consider it a 2 door version of a saloon, but there seem to be loads of cars with 4 doors that call themselves coupé. Some just have a slanted roof (Passat thingy and the melted banana Merc), while some like the RX8 look far more like a 3 door.

Not for me though, I prefer big comfy cars to sports cars.

Not all German cars are fantastic by a long stretch.

This car is going to be a big comfy car though, it won't be a bone rattling sports car. But BMWs do tend to have a slightly firmer ride than many of their competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Ha, don't get me wrong, if I could afford a really nice car I'd probably buy one.

Not a BMW though.

I just don't get it - no matter what thread a Skoda somehow manages to make it into the frame!

The new concept is a stunning grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

That looks gorgeous, haven't liked many of the BMW concepts of late but that's amazing

edit: how is it a coupe with 5 doors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a Grand Tourer but with two extra doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Those wheels are epic. Great looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Looks class. Could easily accommodate forty or fifty cylinders up front :D

Surely it should be possible to figure out a more practical bootlid without compromising the looks though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

BMW-234101017233271600x1060.jpg
    I like it but to be honest, without the grille and the badges you can't tell it's a BMW any more. Cars all look the same nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

biko wrote: »
    I like it but to be honest, without the grille and the badges you can't tell it's a BMW any more. Cars all look the same nowadays.
    It's a fair point. From a distance, in profile, you could mistake it for a jag or a maserati. What a calamity :pac:

Yeah, where the grill meets the lights reminds me a little of a Volvo. Still, nice looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

biko wrote: »

I dont agree. the front side looks like the new 5, the rear is the current 6 crossed with the 7. Its a very very good amalgamation of current BMW designs. What it doesnt look like is an e30 / e34, the boxey BMWs of old that everyone trys to "see" in the new cars.

On a side note, the old 8er (like mine) looked nothing at all like the then current BMWs, so if anything this is more derivative, not less. The rear on this concept (mockup?) is similar to the old 8, low and fat. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

it's very VAG-y looking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

How can they call this a coupe when it is clearly a saloon. Proportions are all wrong. Bonnet way too long. Back to the drawing board is what i say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Little late seeing this thread but that car looks f*cking amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

The rear is fantastic, interior pics please. Would love to own one but as I owe the bank that amount on my house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I dont agree. the front side looks like the new 5, the rear is the current 6 crossed with the 7. Its a very very good amalgamation of current BMW designs. What it doesnt look like is an e30 / e34, the boxey BMWs of old that everyone trys to "see" in the new cars.

On a side note, the old 8er (like mine) looked nothing at all like the then current BMWs, so if anything this is more derivative, not less. The rear on this concept (mockup?) is similar to the old 8, low and fat. :cool:

Agreed.

I think it looks class.

Side view has a hint of the 8series general shape (long and sporty) but obviously a more refined outlook. Looking from directly behind it looks like a really modern version of the 8series - low, wide with nice fat tyres.
    And, looking at the back at an angle you can see the 6series shape on the bootlid.

If anything, the side view needs to be a bit more adventurous and then they'd have a winner. The back/front look great but the side view is kind of letting it down in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

looks like a citroen c5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

It looks absolutely beautiful <3!

Advertisement