Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 2 months here and no work..

Options
  • 23-04-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

What are your experiences? How long did it take to find work and what industry?

I am male, 29, in Southbank, Melbourne. Not on a WHV, on a spouse visa.
    I have 2.5 years admin experience (Civil Service in Ireland).
    3 yr Mech/Manufacturing Diploma also.
    Almost all Mech Engineering jobs are over 50km away or close ones (Williamstown area) are in companies with defence contracts so need to be a citizen.
    My office experience is recent, so I have been looking for mostly office jobs in the CBD and immediate neighbouring areas. I am tied to Melbourne as the wife has a job here.

I have applied to most of the agencies in Melbourne through their ads on Seek etc, only got 2 agency interviews, it's quiet at the moment according to them. The rest of the agencies have dismissed my application within 24 hrs.

Seems to be as hard to get a job here as it is in Ireland... :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah its very hard to get work and evn if you do get it its casual and can be anything from 15-30 hrs per week, a waste of time, its Just one big con to get Backpackers to Aus and then treat them like crap. To be honest i hated Aus and will never set foot in there again, Canada, U.S.A now there the countries to be in.
    On the way home i got stoped in the Airport by customs and immigration and your one started given out to me about my passport being dirty and tatty looking, she then made a phone call to send me to another guy who left me through but not before i told them it would be the last time id said foot in there country and to told them try and treat visitiors nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What are your experiences? How long did it take to find work and what industry?

I am male, 29, in Southbank, Melbourne. Not on a WHV, on a spouse visa.
    I have 2.5 years admin experience (Civil Service in Ireland).
    3 yr Mech/Manufacturing Diploma also.
    Almost all Mech Engineering jobs are over 50km away or close ones (Williamstown area) are in companies with defence contracts so need to be a citizen.
    My office experience is recent, so I have been looking for mostly office jobs in the CBD and immediate neighbouring areas. I am tied to Melbourne as the wife has a job here.

I have applied to most of the agencies in Melbourne through their ads on Seek etc, only got 2 agency interviews, it's quiet at the moment according to them. The rest of the agencies have dismissed my application within 24 hrs.

Seems to be as hard to get a job here as it is in Ireland... :mad:

Hang in there, it was a bit quiet when I first arrived and going into month 2 jobless can be a bit demoralising, thankfully I got a job not long after that.
    Yeah its very hard to get work and evn if you do get it its casual and can be anything from 15-30 hrs per week, a waste of time, its Just one big con to get Backpackers to Aus and then treat them like crap. To be honest i hated Aus and will never set foot in there again, Canada, U.S.A now there the countries to be in.
    On the way home i got stoped in the Airport by customs and immigration and your one started given out to me about my passport being dirty and tatty looking, she then made a phone call to send me to another guy who left me through but not before i told them it would be the last time id said foot in there country and to told them try and treat visitiors nicely.

Jaysus you don't have a chip on your shoulder you've a whole bag of spuds!
    What do you expect? You have no experience in anything (by your own admission)? ..and I know plenty of people who slotted into 'casual role' jobs not long after coming off the plane. Anyone who frequents this forum knows your stance on Australia, you never gave it a chance.

Good luck in the US there casual role jobs pay peanuts, not to forget paying the $8000 a year medical insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yawn :rolleyes:

FYI, casual work, despite being less hours a week, is actually paid at a higher hourly rate than most full time as you don't accrue holiday time etc. For backpackers it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

stuff

i love your posts! your opinion on australia seems to change constantly. What went wrong? you seemed so hapy in your roadhouse and you started a thread in AH telling everyone to come down here.

Seriously though i dont see how your experience is at all like the OPs. as eringobragh said you yourself admitted you have no qualifications and came on a WHV.
    The op is qualified, has relavent experience and has none of the visa issues you had. i dont think he would call himself a backpacker.

OP, im not based in melbourne but based on what goes on in the forum most people seem to be. im sure someone can give you better advice than me but for what its worth: A good friend of mine on a WHV and a group of people he is with (all WHV) have gotten admin work in melbourne. i'll try and get the name of the agency he went through. mite take a while though. comms arent good where i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

On the way home i got stoped in the Airport by customs and immigration and your one started given out to me about my passport being dirty and tatty looking,

Really this says it all, your passport is and remains property of your government and issued to you in good faith to use. If you cant even look after a passport properly then you are obviously an idiot. How can any other nations officials respect you when you can't even respect your own country.

Maybe this explains why you found it difficult to get work, you are probably one of those people who has Idiot written all over their demeanor.

No point coming on here whining that Australia is cr@p when obviously its you that is to blame, you might think USA and Canada are better option but I reckon you will find a similar pattern there.... doesn't really matter where you go you will still be an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Almost all Mech Engineering jobs are over 50km away or close ones (Williamstown area) are in companies with defence contracts so need to be a citizen
    I work in the company you are talking about in IT. Im on a WHV, and have no security clearance. Have you applied anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I came to Perth on a WHV, took me about 4 months to get a job in my field, (Drafting). I did fruit picking for a month before that, horrible work. The main thing is, stick at it. There is plenty of work here, just takes a while to get it sometimes

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Really this says it all, your passport is and remains property of your government and issued to you in good faith to use. If you cant even look after a passport properly then you are obviously an idiot. How can any other nations officials respect you when you can't even respect your own country.

Maybe this explains why you found it difficult to get work, you are probably one of those people who has Idiot written all over their demeanor.

No point coming on here whining that Australia is cr@p when obviously its you that is to blame, you might think USA and Canada are better option but I reckon you will find a similar pattern there.... doesn't really matter where you go you will still be an idiot.

Aww looks like you will get a ban, you cant attack other posters buddy. For your information my passport was tatty because i travel a lot, i have lived in both the the U.S.A and Canada for long periods and loved both of them. Aus on the other hand was a crap hole, full of its own self importance, the people are ignorant racist and macho, they cant even speak proper english everything is in slang, in a nutshell its a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i'll try and get the name of the agency he went through. mite take a while though. comms arent good where i am.

That would be great, thanks.

CiaranC wrote: »
    I work in the company you are talking about in IT. Im on a WHV, and have no security clearance. Have you applied anyway?

I didn't apply, well got to the application and aborted. It stressed the need for citizenship etc.
    There are a fair few companies working out that way. Can you pm me the name of the one you are working at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

full of its own self importance, the people are ignorant racist and macho, they cant even speak proper english everything is in slang, in a nutshell its a dump.

Sounds like any County in Ireland ive been to:eek: and besides if you have nothing to contribute, Dont.

OP, Have you thaught about agency work through someone like Hays or the like, not a long term option but might lead to something down the track, best of luck in your search mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If you have Permanant Residence you can join the Defence Forces Reserves and apply for citizenship after 6 months. It would be an odd way around it but it's possible.

Can't get PR until a years time. I did consider joining anyway, would be a great experience.

Aww looks like you will get a ban, you cant attack other posters buddy. For your information my passport was tatty because i travel a lot, i have lived in both the the U.S.A and Canada for long periods and loved both of them. Aus on the other hand was a crap hole, full of its own self importance, the people are ignorant racist and macho, they cant even speak proper english everything is in slang, in a nutshell its a dump.

Ban?? What Ban? Attack who?

Why for telling the truth? Get real.

My passport has nearly every page full, but I still have the respect to look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i love your posts! your opinion on australia seems to change constantly. What went wrong? you seemed so hapy in your roadhouse and you started a thread in AH telling everyone to come down here.

After going on a rant about people lying on their 2nd year visa applications I joyfully informed him that his poxy workhouse job didnt contribute to the 3 months farmwork :) Good riddance, rather a fraudster Irishman than a sneak.

Quite ironic that he says Australia is a scam to shaft the working man, seeing as the only industries here that will scam foreigners are

a- The farmwork he thinks everyone should be doing

and

b- Any of that telemarketing/ door to door/ street sales bullsh1t.

Apart from that its a country with reasonable rates of pay and a riidicilously low cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

the only industries here that will scam foreigners are

a- The farmwork he thinks everyone should be doing

and

b- Any of that telemarketing/ door to door/ street sales bullsh1t.

Apart from that its a country with reasonable rates of pay and a riidicilously low cost of living.

love the sweeping generalisations!
    know people making plenty of money doing both...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kookie

OP I recently returned from Aus on a WHV, when I first arrived in Melbourne I was waiting about 7 wks before I got my first job. It is very frustrating when ur constantly putting yourself out there and not getting anywhere. In the end I started getting jobs through the agencies my first job was only 1 day a wk but once I got the first job the ball started rollin n then all the agencies were calling me offering me work so hang in there u will get something eventually. Try Mi Team or Optimum recruitment I found these two to be the best, there is alos Mosaic and Julia Ross. The jobs weren't the greatest but hey they paid the rent and got me by. I wouldn't recommend using seek better off just going through the agencies directly thats what I did.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mandrake infracted for personal abuse. There is no need to get your point across like that. There was no need for it.

watna wrote: »
    Mandrake infracted for personal abuse. There is no need to get your point across like that. There was no need for it.

Thanks.
    It says it all really, when people need to make personal attacks its quiet sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks.
    It says it all really, when people need to make personal attacks its quiet sad.

Jonjo - there's no need to comment on thread about it. It has been dealt with. I'd like to keep this thread on topic.

I don't want it mentioned again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Look, your in a different country. I wouldn't expect too much. Be thankfull that you can get a job at all.

kookie wrote: »
    Try Mi Team or Optimum recruitment I found these two to be the best, there is alos Mosaic and Julia Ross.

Thanks, much appreciated! I will contact these tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dont understand this sentence. You traveled just under 10,000 miles, to Australia, but you cant get a job in your field because it is 50 klicks away?

syklops wrote: »
    I dont understand this sentence. You traveled just under 10,000 miles, to Australia, but you cant get a job in your field because it is 50 klicks away?

Maybe the OP doesn't drive or have a car, 50 KM on public transport is a a bit of a commute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah he's travelled 10,000 KM to follow his missus, she obviously lives near her work, so the OP is not as footloose as most in his situation.

I wouldnt be a fan of a 50Km commute every mornin either. what time would you ever get to yerself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP, get on the phones and see if the agencies will give you an interview as opposed to just shooting your CV through, and make sure you make it very clear you're on a spouse visa and don't have the limitations of a WHV. I don't think seek.com.au is a good way to jobhunt to be honest - unless it's a very specific job, you're competing against literally hundreds of applicants for any admin job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jesus H Christ Jonjo ... give it a rest.

To the OP network mate, look for courses or activitys that lead to employment or people in the line of work. Getting work here is a lot on who you know.

Hang in there

syklops wrote: »

Yes, just under 10k miles once, not every day. I don't drive and 50+ km on public transport is ridiculous, very expensive and I value my free time a lot, so would prefer not to spend at least 4hrs a day commuting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

Has anybody else struggled like this to find work?

How long have you been searching and in what area of employment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

Has anybody else struggled like this to find work?

How long have you been searching and in what area of employment?

Advertisement