Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 2 months here and no work..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Nope, working in Perth at present and before that Darwin for 9 months. Had no problem finding work in either.

I did earth works in Darwin driving a Water cart and Roller for 30 a hr with no experiance, and now im in Perth working doing Spray and Seel for a Asphalt company. Hopefully get sponsored with them.

I didnt really try to get the jobs, just once you put your self out there and give the right attitude I think companys are more than willing to take on Irish over ozzy workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I think companys are more than willing to take on Irish over ozzy workers.

Any proof of the non-ancedotal kind???

In fairness the jobs you listed the employer would not care what you were or where you came from just as long as you turned up and the job got done

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Has anybody else struggled like this to find work?

How long have you been searching and in what area of employment?

Not in hospitality. I had 7 interviews in 2 days.. Was able to pick and choose where i wanted as well. Money is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The Aussie wrote: »
    Any proof of the non-ancedotal kind???
    In fairness the jobs you listed the employer would not care what you were or where you came from just as long as you turned up and the job got done

Yeah, in the last 3 companys ive worked for there has been a higher whv worker count. We show up, get the job done and dont whinge nearly half as much as Ozzys do.

If you cant get a job over here then theres something wrong with you.

And isnt showing up and doing the job the whole point of having a job? Dunno what sort of work you been doing if it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Unless they're have PR, I strongly doubt thats the case - not in admin / finance / banking etc anyway. I wouldn't hire anyone on a WHV because its a waste of time, and I need to jump through hoops to take someone in on a 457.

Finance jobs are going to be thin on the ground with all the Westpac and other big 3 people being let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yeah, in the last 3 companys ive worked for there has been a higher whv worker count. We show up, get the job done and dont whinge nearly half as much as Ozzys do.

We can all come up with nice little misty eyed anecdotes that make us feel important, so where is the proof i asked for. Like i can supply nice little story of my own, the company i work for here in Cork is all foreigners, the last 2 Irish blokes got the short shift last summer for being Divisive, Lazy, Begrudging, Self Centered Twats.

Now i could go onto this Forum and say that Irish employers prefer foreigners because they are not Divisive, Lazy, Begrudging, Self Centered Twats, and i would get rightfully Slated if not infracted for it, because while there is truth in my story it is just that, a story.

So are you able to back up this "Story" with fact???
    And isnt showing up and doing the job the whole point of having a job? Dunno what sort of work you been doing if it isnt.

Thank you, that line is so Glib ive now had my RDI of Glibness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you cant get a job over here then theres something wrong with you.

Depends on what the industry is, most WHV work is just casual so even if you show up and there no work that day you cant expect to be paid. I have seen plenty of Paddies whinge when they only got 1 or 2 days work out of the week.

also not everyone wants to shovel shit or pick apples, you cant really say there something wrong with them because they cant get a job in other industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

http://applydirect.com.au/

not as popular as seek so you may have less competition and your cutting out the middle man.

After sending in lots of CV's and only following the odd one up with a phone call for 8 weeks with not much luck. I sent out less CV's but took more time and applied to more specific stuff tailoring CV for each role type, then followed each one up the next day with a phone call.

It got me on speaking terms with the recruiters and definately helped in getting work. It also meant less frustration and rejection.

Goodluck and stick with it 50k aint that far to travel once your heading out of the city, traffic is going the opposite way so should be straight out there. Most of the Aussies i work with travel at least an hour in

Advertisement