Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muggings in Stephens Green?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭

Heard a female acquaintance saying that her 15-year-old son and his friend were mugged in Stephens Green last month by 3 Dublin skangers, aged about 18-20. They wanted wallets and phones. The guys resisted, and got punched, but the lads managed to take one of their phones.

This occurred around 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. That's all I know of the story so far.

Haven't heard of anything like this for a while. About 18 years ago I remember friends I mine getting mugged by a group of lads whom were later identified as coming from the York Street flats. Anyone know if this is still common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

it does still happen yep, well last one i heard was about a year or so again, but yes it still does id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

No way this sort of thing actually happened in a capital city? Go away!!?

At this day and age? A month ago?

Now where did i put my naive hat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Common enough to see skangers on bikes on Wexford St/Camden St robbing people during the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

tricky D wrote: »
    Common enough to see skangers on stolenbikes on Wexford St/Camden St robbing people during the afternoon.
    Fixed that for you.

Im around this area and have never seen that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw it a few times a few years ago when living on Richmond St. Maybe they got all growed up. Or locked up (dream on).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Jay D wrote: »

JESUS im never gonna leave my house again! certainly wont be visiting that crime haven stephens green:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

donaghs wrote: »
    Heard a female acquaintance saying that her 15-year-old son and his friend were mugged in Stephens Green last month by 3 Dublin skangers, aged about 18-20. They wanted wallets and phones. The guys resisted, and got punched, but the lads managed to take one of their phones.

This occurred around 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. That's all I know of the story so far.

Haven't heard of anything like this for a while. About 18 years ago I remember friends I mine getting mugged by a group of lads whom were later identified as coming from the York Street flats. Anyone know if this is still common?

Was probably the offspring of your friends mugger. Mugging is a skill that is passed down through the generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

tricky D wrote: »
    Saw it a few times a few years ago when living on Richmond St. Maybe they got all growed up. Or locked up (dream on).

Ah thats one of the safest areas going these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

sure my mam and her sis got beat up by muggers before in there back in the 60's. Just need to watch out really, some people are bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Indeed, one of my earliest and most traumatic memories was having my Penny Farthing and watch-chain half-inched by young ruffians from the tenements in the vicinity of The Green.

For week afterwards, one offered up a silent, vindictive prayer whenever news came through of a tenement collapsing in that part of the inner city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thought they used to have attendants working in park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

donaghs wrote: »
    Heard a female acquaintance saying that her 15-year-old son and his friend were mugged in Stephens Green last month by 3 Dublin skangers, aged about 18-20.

As opposed to those Roscommon or Leitrim skangers..:)

Nothing more than begging people on Camden St to me - I know some people who will refuse to walk down Cuffe St. for some reason too. One of the safer places to walk around in my opinion :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stephens green has never been completely safe...junkies hang out there and shoot up in the bushes,lunatics of various kinds seem to be attracted to the place and there's a thriving community of weirdos who hang out in the park after the place has closed up.
    A friend of mine had a claw hammer put through his head whilst having af ew cans in there one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I got my phone snatched outside Trinity - it's a city centre, it happens.

Heh, they actually turned 'round and gave my phone back to me because it was so sh1tty. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

stovelid wrote: »
    Indeed, one of my earliest and most traumatic memories was having my Penny Farthing and watch-chain half-inched by young ruffians from the tenements in the vicinity of The Green.

For week afterwards, one offered up a silent, vindictive prayer whenever news came through of a tenement collapsing in that part of the inner city.

Blasted footpads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Jay D wrote: »

It's easy to say that muggings are common, and we should all accept that that's the way it is. That it's naive to think otherwise.

I think that's wrong on two points. Firstly if we accept that muggings are common in Stephens Green, and barely worth comment, then nowhere in Dublin can be considered to be relatively safe.

But secondly, as someone who frequently goes to Stephens Green at lunch time on the weekend, I can tell you that I have always found it very safe - and have never in my life witnessed a violent incident there. As with most people I know.

So when assault and robbery do occur in a busy and very public park (beside Grafton Street) in broad daylight, I think it is noteworthy at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did they use the other phone to report this?

Advertisement