Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone doing the Croí Lough Corrib Cycle?

• 23-04-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is anyone signing up for next months Croí cycle in Galway? I'm thinking about doing it but I've never cycled farther than 20k in one day. Does anyone have any advice for a noob?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Firstly
    How often do you actually cycle.
    20km once upon a time may not be enough.It would get you to Oughterard:D but you would probably make it on to Maam on the short version.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

How often do you actually cycle.
    20km once upon a time may not be enough.It would get you to Oughterardbiggrin.gif but you would probably make it on to Maam on the short version.

I cycle to work every day, about 5k each way. At the weekends I'm trying to cycle more. 20k is my starting target but I plan to build from there. I'm in fairly good biking shape but I would be interested in training with someone in the same circumstances as me.

Pizaro where are you based.
    If your riding everyday why not try and add a few km to the return commute to gain more benifit

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Esroh wrote: »
    Pizaro where are you based.
    If your riding everyday why not try and add a few km to the return commute to gain more benifit

Good advice there, and you should be looking to get out out for a longer spin at the weekends. You still have four weeks to the Croi and with a bit of extra trianing you will be fine. It is a flat route and not too challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mate i was starting out from a similar point a few months ago - just go out for a slowish spin which doesn't leave you out of breath and add on say 5km each weekend. if you can maintain those increased spins every weekend you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

There is a cycle tomorrow from maam cross.

If you are free you should have no problem with the 30mile route.

Details here.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055888793

The 30mile (48k) is relatively flat and tomorrow is forecast to be good..:)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm based in Galway, which is why I'm interested in the Croí cycle. I have plans for a 20k tomorrow on the Cappagh Road, but if conditions are good I'll try extend it farther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Pizarro wrote: »
    Is anyone signing up for next months Croí cycle in Galway? I'm thinking about doing it but I've never cycled farther than 20k in one day. Does anyone have any advice for a noob?

I have done it a couple of times it is a really well organised event and very dooable for a noob. My advice is go for it and enjoy - there is small pull up after maam cross and another after the first stop both are very doable for a noob. There is cake making competition in cong and participants have the enviable task of judging. Enjoy

barrabus wrote: »
    I have done it a couple of times it is a really well organised event and very dooable for a noob. My advice is go for it and enjoy - there is small pull up after maam cross and another after the first stop both are very doable for a noob. There is cake making competition in cong and participants have the enviable task of judging. Enjoy

The best feedstop on the Sportive/Charity Ride circuit. We cycle up from Ballinrobe so we can finish here and enjoy Cake and Tart to the full.

Pizzaro if you looking for someone to cycle with try the websites
    Westcoastwheelers.com or http://galwaybaycycling.com

For info re beginner spins both clubs usually have big crews out on the day.
    Or you could just as in the Bike Shops. I drive around Galway everyday and there are loads of people of all shape and size out there on bikes :D

So I managed to extend my 20k ride to 31k today and all before the rain started to fall. I'm not feeling too bad after it either. With practice I should be ready for the big day out :)

• Advertisement

Pizarro wrote: »
    So I managed to extend my 20k ride to 31k today and all before the rain started to fall. I'm not feeling too bad after it either. With practice I should be ready for the big day out :)

Well done. Time on the bike is the important thing so do a few Km tomorrow as well if you can. Its your rear end you have to educate ;) 120km means you sitting a longtime and that needs practice.

What bike you riding?

I'm riding a 2010 Lapierre Rock. I'm not sure if I'll be ready for the 120k ride. I was only planning on doing the 46k option as I don't think a month is enough time to prepare. Does anyone know if there are many rest stops along the way? What is the route like to cycle outside of the event? Is there much traffic and how fast is it going normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I cycled it on Saturday:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/34707

It's a fairly flat course. There is a bit of a drag uphill from Maam Cross towards the Maam Valley, but it's short and not very steep; the decent into the valley is excellent with a good road surface. On the way out of Maam bridge towards Cornamona there's one steep climb but it's very short.

Overall the hardest part for me was the long stretch from Headford back into Galway - flat and straight but there was a strong headwind which made it seem like it was going to last forever.

Generally the roads are ok. The surface is poor between Oughterard and Maam Cross and between Cong and Headford isn't great at times either. The Headford-Galway N84 section is narrow and heavily trafficked so if you are planning on training on this section I'd plan on being on that section in good light on a Sunday morning.

I'd concentrate on building mileage if you are planning on doing the Croi cycle, there's not much climbing so it's a decent one to aim for.

Thanks for your advice. I probably won't get any serious milage done again til Thursday when I'm off work but we'll see how it goes then.

Pizzaro
    We in Westernlakes CC are having a very leisurely Lap of Lough Mask on Sat 15th of May in aid of Mayo CF.
    Its 64 km and has a Stop at halfway. Its a ery relaxed ride with lots of Locals getting back on their bikes for 1 day
    Details onhttp://westernlakescc.com

There is online entry or sign on the day if you interested. It might help you to decide if you up to the full Croi a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Ya should get in touch with Galway Bay Cycling Club, Went on a spin with them yesterday as a fundraiser for their Ras team. Did 80k Oughterard, Maam Cross, Scriob, Casla and over seanafestine back into Oughterard, then a loop of the time-trial circuit from The Ras Connamara. Enjoyed it and got a lot of encouragement from the other guys there. Good guys and good crack.
    I am also doing the Croi cycle if I ever post the entry, its in the car for the last week. You shouldnt have any problem doing the shorter run.
    This time last year I was training for the Stephen Roche Tour De Cure in Cork. Did 50k in under 2 hours, first time riding in a big group and loved it. Now I do 50k in the evening after work a couple of times a week.
    Just get out there and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tester25

If you are looking for a good training cycle check out the Exit 16 cycle which will take place on Sunday 2nd May. There is a 50km route and a 100km route to choose from and the event is easily accessed from the M6 motorway just take the Exit 16 Kiltullagh exit. The event will start at 9.00am with registration starting at 8.00am. See www.exit16cycle.com for more details.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys and apologies for the late reply, I've been very busy this last week with one thing and another. Lap of Lough Mask and Exit 16 both look interesting but sadly they're a bit too far outside the city for me to get to easily.

My last ride was 40k, which puts me on target to do the shorter Croí cycle, hopefully I'll see some of you there :)

Sorry to hijack this thread but could anyone recommend somewhere to stay that would be near the start - thanks....

Sorry to hijack this thread but could anyone recommend somewhere to stay that would be near the start - thanks....

TC whats your budget. You could pick any where in the city and you are never more than 3 or 4 miles from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hi all, quick question, I did the Lap of the Mask yesterday and really enjoyed the day, very well organised. I am now feeling braver and considering doing the Croi cycle now but I wont know till later in the week if I have the green card.

Whats the story with signing up for this do you have to collect sponsorship or is there a registration fee that could be paid instead

Good to hear you enjoyed the Lap Of the Mask. We were delighted with the turn out
    If you ring Croi they will send you out a card and say they need 100 euro. Also saying they not want alot of people signing on on the day.BUT from experience if you turn up on the day with what ever you can afford they will not turn you away. I know a number of people who would give 30-50e and ride it.

Esroh wrote: »
    TC whats your budget. You could pick any where in the city and you are never more than 3 or 4 miles from the start.

No budget as such just somewhere near by if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JohnBoy1969

Is there a map of the ride and perhaps a terrain map showing elevation?

I too would like to know where other riders are staying, I'll be driving down Saturday from Dublin.

Re Hotels.
    It finishes at the Menlo Park Hotel which is about 1mile from the start.
    Marriot is across the road from finish as well.
    Westwood Hotel is 100 metres from the start.
    http://galwayhotelguide.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 johnny1234

If cyclists aren't ready yet, why not consider the Corr na Mona Annual cycle in June, in aid of this year for Diabetics research.

johnny1234 wrote: »
    If cyclists aren't ready yet, why not consider the Corr na Mona Annual cycle in June, in aid of this year for Diabetics research.

Why not do both. This is one of the best cycles around. Great Route, Backup, Foodstops. and the BBQ after is special. :D The 50 miles can be as hard a test as you want it to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Is there a map of the ride and perhaps a terrain map showing elevation?

I too would like to know where other riders are staying, I'll be driving down Saturday from Dublin.

Just did this up on Mapmyride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/galway/599127413000682611
    Think the start and finish points are right, only a couple of hundred yards if its not right.
    Looking forward to it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

For anyone doing the cycle this Sunday...there is the extra bonus of a sheep shearing championship on in Oughterard the same day..

Details Here

82002_sheepshearing.jpg

...watch out for the 'daggins' on main street..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement