Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend me a compact with RAW capture

• 23-04-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

I know I know - ''try googling'' :p

thing is though i've driven myself crosseyed with googling - most i can find is the ususal suspects, canon G10, canon S90, various lumix models...

but these at the moment are a little out of my budget, and also this is a camera i want to lend to my mum who's off to canada for a few weeks in may [when i'll be setting it on auto/jpeg and hopefully she'll be able to remember to charge the battery ;)]

i then want to use it as a back up ''always in me handbag'' camera, hence it's need to have RAW capture, compact size, Li-ion battery and good capability in low light. zoom range isn't that important, but i would like something like 24mm/28mm on the wide end.

i'm not looking for someone else to do the googling, i suppose just some pointers on what i should be looking at!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I think you might find it difficult to get all the features you want at a low(ish) price. The two things which might be hardest to accommodate here are the good low-light capability and access to an uncompressed version of the file (all digital cameras capture in RAW - but only some give you access to the uncompressed file).

The cameras you mentioned would have been on my list of suggestions.

Maybe have a look at this :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

as it's a bit more focussed than Googling - you can specify the parameters most important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cameraman wrote: »
    I think you might find it difficult to get all the features you want at a low(ish) price. The two things which might be hardest to accommodate here are the good low-light capability and access to an uncompressed version of the file (all digital cameras capture in RAW - but only some give you access to the uncompressed file).

The cameras you mentioned would have been on my list of suggestions.

Maybe have a look at this :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

as it's a bit more focussed than Googling.

This thread might help: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055868350

Me/ I'm about to buy the Canon S90.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

cheers cameraman - plenty to be looking at there.

i see what you mean by price though... might have to re-think this whole plan and buy my mum an el-cheapo in the mean time while i save for summat more substantial.... :o

and yeah, freddie - i was leaning to the S90 before i saw the price. waaaay outta my league at the mo. as i said i might re-think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The features your looking for usually are what increase the camera price, so if your buying new will be tough to find.

You could get a cheapish canon that can use CHDK . This would let you get raw files from the camera. How much extra benifit this would be I'm not sure

A480 looks like it would work, is cheap enough in Argos(€84), but not very compact or wide angle or not rechargable battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ettna wrote: »
    Canon S90, I really want one, its my birthday in 8 days, mmmmmh?

The only niggle appears to be with the rear control dial, which, apparently, turns too freely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement