Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elliott Smith

Options
  • 23-04-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Just listening to Elliott Smith recently.
    Admittedly, haven't listened to much else
    besides the self-titled album (for shame i know).

But stuff like Rose Parade ("it's just everyone's interest is stronger than mine") and Angeles.
    He was a hell of a lyricist- something so concise and elegant about how the lyrics fit the melody.

Any fans here.
    And what are your favourite albums?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Figure 8 is my personal favourite although there was a poll on here before about his favourite album and it didn't get as much love:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Figure 8 is my personal favourite although there was a poll on here before about his favourite album and it didn't get as much love:(

For me it's a tie between Figure 8 and From A Basement On The Hill, probably because they're my first experience of the great man and I tend to prefer his later stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

fluke wrote: »
    For me it's a tie between Figure 8 and From A Basement On The Hill, probably because they're my first experience of the great man and I tend to prefer his later stuff.

i prefer when his beatles influence comes to the fore and that happens with the later stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Favorite probably Either/Or but its all good to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

i prefer when his beatles influence comes to the fore and that happens with the later stuff

The White Album was what inspired him to become a musician in the first place apparently. He also covered a Beatles song in the American Beauty film. It was only the other day I was listening to Figure 8, and The Beatles influence is so obvious alright. Great album too. The guy was a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I couldn't pick a favourite album , I think everything he put out was great.
    Immensely talented musician

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

seen him play in Dublin around 1998 its up there as one of the best gigs I have ever been to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

An artist I keep meaning to investigate - I've heard two songs by him and was blown away by both.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

<Ollie> wrote: »
    The White Album was what inspired him to become a musician in the first place apparently. He also covered a Beatles song in the American Beauty film. It was only the other day I was listening to Figure 8, and The Beatles influence is so obvious alright. Great album too. The guy was a genius.

Interesting, where did you hear this. I've pretty much read every interview/book by him but never heard him mention this. Also his first band heatmiser aren't very beatles-y. Not saying it isn't true more the obsessive coming out in me to learn more about him! It makes me sad that he is no longer alive.

Figure 8 is my favourite album, with all the others joint second!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Probably my favourite artist..

XO is my favourite album.. but to be honest, they're all superb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

lordgoat wrote: »
    Interesting, where did you hear this. I've pretty much read every interview/book by him but never heard him mention this. Also his first band heatmiser aren't very beatles-y. Not saying it isn't true more the obsessive coming out in me to learn more about him!

It was only a few weeks ago I was reading his bio page on Last FM. It's stated here, towards the end of the page under the heading "Musical style and infuences"

This is a live cover of 'Blackbird' (from The White Album).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My favorite artist most definatley.

Either/Or is my fav album.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Dudess wrote: »
    An artist I keep meaning to investigate - I've heard two songs by him and was blown away by both.
    What's stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I've been listening to angel in the snow now since new moon came out and i don't think i'll ever get sick of it.. that and twilight.. two great great songs. I was very shocked and sad when i heard he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Would be in my top 5 singers alright. It's all good. I think XO just does it that bit more for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Guy was a true genius. This is my personal favourite song from him, the lyrics are just mind boggling good and resonate with such sincerity its scary.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One of my personal favourites too opr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

agreed. i came to him late also, figure 8 being the first of his I heard when it was released. i like the quieter stuff too but it's figure 8 for me, but I think that's a minority opinion among hardcore fans. i'd recommend any of his albums though

Advertisement