Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Elliott Memorial - 9th May

• 23-04-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows the route for this years event, a map my ride or the like would be great if anyone had one.

Cheers,

Skeff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Just wondering if anyone knows the route for this years event, a map my ride or the like would be great if anyone had one.

Cheers,

Skeff

Still confirming will try to get final route asap. but Usually Ashford, Rathdrum, Avova, Woodenbridge, and but it will take in the Glenmalure/Elliott climb from the Greenane side.
    Final route will be posted on the braywheelers website once finalised, and will post link to it here once it's up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

I'm sure it wont be any easier this year, bring it on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

What distance is this usually?

What distance is this usually?

140-160k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's a shame they don't run an event for A3's/A4s. Seems like there is a real lack of hilly races...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's a shame they don't run an event for A3's/A4s. Seems like there is a real lack of hilly races...

It's not exactly a closed shop - you just have to get promoted a couple of times. :D

I think it's nice to have events like this that the lower orders can only aspire to. Those that get to participate have presumably got there through talent and hard training, makes the event a bit more special.

I'll certainly make it out to spectate if I can. Where's a good spot - Shay Elliot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I think as per last year it is slightly shorter so about 140k

The Old Wicklow gap climb after Arklow was taken out of it last year as far as I know

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Seems like there is a real lack of hilly races...

For jaysus sake, was the Des Hanlon not enough for you?

el tonto wrote: »

I think Diarmuid is holding out for something with a hilltop finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Lumen wrote: »

The Bobby Crilly Memorial has a great (9 min steep enough climb) hill top finish overlooking Belfast. 30th of May I think - I miss it this year due to the final day of the RAS. I was second there last year - a very well run race too.

I did the Shay Elliot RR last year - it was a rolling course other than a drag of a climb 10-20k before Shay and then the Shay climb itself. It would be great to go over Slieve Mann, 3.5 minute descent, then Shay Elliott - that would be cool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

el tonto wrote: »
    No
    Well I'd settle for another DH-alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Why dont the boardsie's organise a mountain classic open race. I think Sorrento used to have one with laps around Luggala, Sally Gap, Laragh and Roundwood.

Cheers,

Skeff

Map and route details on the Braywheelers site now
    http://www.braywheelers.com/events.htm

Direct Links
    Map
    http://www.braywheelers.com/downloads/53rdShayElliottMemorialRace.pdf
    Route Details
    http://www.braywheelers.com/downloads/ShayElliottMemorialroutemap2010.pdf

My pics from Shay Elliot KOH point here.

Unfortunately my camera ran out of memory after the first 5 minutes of shooting (before Mr Skeffington's bunch arrived :().

Anyone got results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

My pics from Shay Elliot KOH point here.

Unfortunately my camera ran out of memory after the first 5 minutes of shooting (before Mr Skeffington's bunch arrived :().

Anyone got results?

Dan Craven wins - Rapha Condor 1,2,3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Good race today, missed the main break but got around in the bunch, so happy enough with that.

There were RTE cameramen there today on motorbikes, does anyone know if the race is going to be featured on the telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

one of the guys lost his saddle about 12km from the finish, he was in the chasing group, was marshalling up the country lane just after Killiskey where it turned left, towards the Cullenmore road. The potholes there were really bad, there was also a cocker spaniel running up and down the road barking at me, but thanfully his owners got him off the road before the riders arrived, he got out again and chased one lone rider a little later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

few of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

This year was the first in many I didnt get to spectate at the Elliott but I believe numbers were well down on previous years and was it the case also that there were no riders representing the promoting club Bray Wheelers..... With the RAS only around the corner where was everyone yesterday ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    I believe numbers were well down on previous years

For sure, the SE race numbers have been dropping each yr, I did it last yr and the turn out was bad, saying that there was another race on in Leinster the same day last yr so there was a reason, but this year the lack of numbers is dissappointing, hopefully they can do something to get the numbers back in as its a good (but tough) race.
    Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    also that there were no riders representing the promoting club Bray Wheelers.....

really, i didnt know????

The numbers have been pretty steady over the past few years, and it's always a quality field, I reckon a lot of riders are a bit scared of the Elliott as it a hard course and as it's one complete loop if you get dropped early, it's a long way back to the finish.

There were no Bray riders this year as our top 2 riders have moved teams, most other riders capable of riding were marshalling on the day. It will be a different story at the Christy Mc.

Advertisement