Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Roundabout in Bagenalstown

Options
  • 23-04-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

What is the story with the new roundabout in bagenalstown heading into the town. Does anyone know if its just a temporary it seems more of a hazard than anything. There is not enough room to drive around it, was heading in today coming from Boris was turning right up towards the train station and you can barely drive around it must people were just driving straight through it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

They are changing the station road entrance that you went up slightly so as to have it more level with the roundabout. I think it is badly needed but as per usual with this country, the reason it isn't working so well at the moment is because so so many fools don't understand roundabouts. If everyone used them properly they are a joy. Today I was coming in the Borris Road and going straight up towards the Bank of Ireland. Some clueless guy driving a truck coming from the Esso station road came out right in front of me thinking he had the right of way:rolleyes:. If they sort out the issue you have with the station road, and perhaps raise the roundabout a little off the road, I think it will work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If they sort out the issue you have with the station road, and perhaps raise the roundabout a little off the road, I think it will work fine

If they raise the roundabout the road will quite simply be impassible for an HGV or articulated lorry that attempts to drive through. A raised round about would lead to havoc. I'd worked pretty much 100 foot from that crossing for four years and I've seen the horrible time HGV's and Lorries have attempting to maneuver around it before the roundabout. To raise a round about would never let these vehicles through. As with everything the way it is now will take time to get used to. Practice makes perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

It's pretty ridiculous if you're coming from Borris and going to the station road. You need to past the junction, do a 180 and then turn left :rolleyes:

I do hope people get used to it, because I seem to be encountering a lot of people on it who must have never seen a roundabout before

stick-dan wrote: »
    If they raise the roundabout the road will quite simply be impassible for an HGV or articulated lorry that attempts to drive through. A raised round about would lead to havoc. I'd worked pretty much 100 foot from that crossing for four years and I've seen the horrible time HGV's and Lorries have attempting to maneuver around it before the roundabout. To raise a round about would never let these vehicles through. As with everything the way it is now will take time to get used to. Practice makes perfect.

Oh I don't mean a big raise, I mean just a small bit off the road, like the one at the back of Carlow IT. Still perfectly easy for big lorries to drive over but has more of a look of a roundabout about. It is 15 yards from the cop shop anyway. If a cop stood there for a day and actually punished people who don't understand how to use a roundabout correctly, things might improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

jk86 wrote: »
    It's pretty ridiculous if you're coming from Borris and going to the station road. You need to past the junction, do a 180 and then turn left :rolleyes:

I do hope people get used to it, because I seem to be encountering a lot of people on it who must have never seen a roundabout before

Its kind of crazy, was there again today and people were just driving straight through like the roundabout was not there at all. Alot of people seem to be confused on what to do when they are heading towards the station. Seen two cars follow the roundabout around to the left to head towards to the station but ended up reversing back abit so they could clear the roundabout. Good only knows if the trucks are able to get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Physically, the junction is now bigger with the removal of the flower bed and the new position of the lane coming in from royal oak (not permitting parking so close to the bend)

More than enough room for any vehicle to maneouvre, its the drivers that are the problem. I'm surprised there hasnt been an accident yet as folk on the borris road assume they still have right of way etc.

The concept is good, the signage is poor, public notification was relatively poor and the fried egg needs to move a couple of feet towards borris and possibly be raised a little to help the blind drivers coming up out of town.

I pass through it 6/8 times a day and the dirty looks you get from dim wits to your left are priceless, the previous post regarding putting a guard on the junction for a day warrants further consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Its not that people are confused! its people from Bagenalstown who have been driving around the area for years who just choose to ignore it,

I was driving into the town from the borris road and people seem to be ignoring the roundabout and continuing the way it used to be before it was there.. ie people coming from kilree st or coming from the borris road have right of way, instead of everyone having to yield to the person coming from the right,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimmyhat

JayJay123 wrote: »
    Its not that people are confused! its people from Bagenalstown who have been driving around the area for years who just choose to ignore it,

Exactly! it's something that should have been done years ago as that crossroads was a right pain in the hole. It's not a round-about in the traditional sense but it gets rid of the stop signs and get the traffic moving... now all that is needed is for the locals to learn that you give way to traffic from the right:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The roundabout is really frustrating me know, or actually I should rephrase that, the drivers of Bagenalstown are frustrating me. This morning I got beeped off the road by a fool who doesn't understand the rules of the road. I was coming up by the little shop and stopped at the roundabout(I was intending on turning right to go down by the Esso station). There were two cars coming from the Esso station side turning tight up to the Borris road. The first car got around the roundabout no problem. A car was then coming down the Borris road and intended on going straight up towards the Little Shop. As he was going straight through the roundabout, this was obviously was chance to get on the roundabout and make my turn. Half way around the fool waiting at the Esso side beeped me off the road. I was so angry I was very very close to stopping the car and getting out and giving him a bollocking.
    My dad nearly got cut in two by someone coming up past the Little shop, intending on turing right and not stopping at the roundabout whatsoever.
    I have a feeling this roundabout will be got rid of because there will be complaints, when the only problem is idiots not understanding the basics of driving. I have no doubt that there is a lot of drivers driving around Bagenalstown on provisionals for years. 3 of them live across from me

Put a speed ramp on each approach to the roundabout, particularly the two lanes that previously had right of way. Wont solve all the problems but will definitely slow down the muppets who still havent seen the fried egg on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I realised long ago that the rules of the road have no meaning in that town. People stop, start, pull out, abandon cars at random. Imagine some poor learner having a nervous breakdown during lessons. Give me Kilkenny or Waterford anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I saw a woman (who'd have guessed :pac:) performing the below manoeuvre last week.

I don't think she quite understands the concept of a roundabout.

113174.jpg

the only problem is idiots not understanding the basics of driving. I have no doubt that there is a lot of drivers driving around Bagenalstown on provisionals for years. 3 of them live across from me
    Yes , but there is plenty of people with full licenses that don't understand the basics of driving either... a ten minute drive on any road in Ireland is proof of that :D

madmaggie wrote: »
    I realised long ago that the rules of the road have no meaning in that town. People stop, start, pull out, abandon cars at random.
    :D Very true and its got worse since they built the credit union on the only car park in the town and the parking on the street between the bank and the round about is a joke.
    The problem with the placing of the roundabout is that the volume of traffic on that cross roads is insane as its the only direct route to new ross from carlow... there was talk for year of building a by-pass from corrigans garage to tanco but the council couldn't afford the land to carry out the project:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Approached the "fried egg" as my friend calls it, from lower Kilree Street this morning, woman in people carrier loaded with kids comes flying over from Station Road, straight through, I was on the middle of the "egg" at the time. Enjoyed beeping her all the way down the Royal Oak Road.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Approached the "fried egg" as my friend calls it, from lower Kilree Street this morning, woman in people carrier loaded with kids comes flying over from Station Road, straight through, I was on the middle of the "egg" at the time. Enjoyed beeping her all the way down the Royal Oak Road.

Fair dues to you. Humiliate these fools who are on the road and simply have not got the first idea how a roundabout works. It is my biggest gripe on the road. They are not rocket science

To be fair Bob, most vehicles wont make that maneouvre correctly, the egg is too far from Borris, but point taken regarding the concept of a roundabout, people just dont get it. I saw a guy overtaking on it today.:eek:
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I saw a woman (who'd have guessed :pac:) performing the below manoeuvre last week.

I don't think she quite understands the concept of a roundabout.

113174.jpg

Advertisement