Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds from teachers in your school.

Options
  • 23-04-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Heres the deal with a few weeks left to the LC our geography teacher is way behind with the course, any way me and a few others in the class were thinking of getting grinds. Do you think one of the other geography teachers in the school would be willing to give us grinds (quietly, not telling our actual geography teacher), or is this against a code of ethics or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't know, you could ask. It would be illegal for the teacher to charge you for them, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

It would be really unprofessional of other teachers in your school to give you grinds - whether its against the code of ethics or not. Feel free to get grinds outside school but it would be a bad idea to get grinds secretly from your teachers colleagues (there are teachers who will do that but it's really bad form!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

goose2005 wrote: »
    It would be illegal for the teacher to charge you for them, by the way.

It's not illegal! Talk about dramatic:rolleyes: It would be unethical and unprofessional alright. Better off going with a teacher from another school.

Does your teacher realise he's behind? Maybe he's just covering what you need for the exam. Why not ask him if he'd be willing to give you some extra classes after school? Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I don't know, you could ask. It would be illegal for the teacher to charge you for them, by the way.

Illegal:D:D:D Funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

I used to have grinds from my maths teacher before the pres, and she was charging me 30euro and she was useless. After the third or fourth grind i put a stop to it, and i'm going to someone else (who's does a great job).
    Needless to say she was a bit peeved off

If anyone has to get grinds, don't get them from your teacher unless they're brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Best bet is to do it outside school.
    It could majorly backfire and another teacher could end up telling your actual teacher. Also, if another teacher says yes and gets caught, that could be their job on the line. I remember a teacher at school gave Biology grinds on the quiet to a few pupils and she was told she'd lose her job if she didn't put an end to it.
    Honestly geography is just memorizing, what hasn't your teacher covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

what hasn't your teacher covered?

He hasn't covered a good third of the course, and there are only a few weeks left untill the 6th years leave school. He is dreadful he never mentioned SRP's or anything, I only heard about them because I decided to look up a marking scheme.

I souppose ye are right about not getting them from a teacher inside the school, but the other two geography teachers know how bad our geography teacher is, it is common knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd love to know how that's illegal! I know in our school it's frowned upon but allowed as long as the teacher has never taught the students. I would say it could lead to serious agro from the geography teacher who had the class though. Is there no teacher in another school who ye could go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Would the other pupils in the other class be willing to help ye out noteswise? SRPs are the be all and end all, from what I remember though it could be virtually anything on some of the answers. Where are you based Cian?
    My best advice to you would be to focus on the exam papers now more than anything, those are the main focus at this stage. As a teacher in training I think it's ridiculous the "skills" of some techers that have been allwed continue on in schools for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Cian92 wrote: »
    Heres the deal with a few weeks left to the LC our geography teacher is way behind with the course, any way me and a few others in the class were thinking of getting grinds. Do you think one of the other geography teachers in the school would be willing to give us grinds (quietly, not telling our actual geography teacher), or is this against a code of ethics or something?

It'd be different if you were struggling with the subject, as opposed to being behind, so I can't imagine any teacher in your school agreeing to give you grinds.
    Realistically, a teacher would most likely feel like they'd be undermining the other teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Would the other pupils in the other class be willing to help ye out noteswise?

I reckon a bit, but lets be honest we are all competing against each other at the end of the day... Im based in Cork, getting grinds outside of school would be no problem but it just seemed easier in the school, with a teacher I already know!
    It'd be different if you were struggling with the subject, as opposed to being behind, so I can't imagine any teacher in your school agreeing to give you grinds.
    Realistically, a teacher would most likely feel like they'd be undermining the other teacher.

I know it is very annoying, studying it myself wouldn't be too bad, Im just afraid I might miss the point! Also I was quite good at geography so it would be a shame to get a bad result because our teacher didnt cover the course...

Yah, they probarly would feel like they are undermining the other teacher!

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

RH149 wrote: »
    It would be really unprofessional of other teachers in your school to give you grinds - whether its against the code of ethics or not. Feel free to get grinds outside school but it would be a bad idea to get grinds secretly from your teachers colleagues (there are teachers who will do that but it's really bad form!)

I get grinds of a different teacher. My normal teacher didnt have a clue until the mocks. I wrote a completely different things than she taught us.(e.g same poets but different poems) Quite funny when she realised!! Hasn't talked to me since. happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Illegal:D:D:D Funny!

I don't know, my biology teacher told our class that if she accepted fees for after-school classes it would violate her contract with the Department.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't know, my biology teacher told our class that if she accepted fees for after-school classes it would violate her contract with the Department.
    It would beg the question why isn't she doing the work in her class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

me and a group of friends do this. we have the worst Irish teacher and are doing Higher and we get grinds off another irish teacher in our school. she takes about 20-30 other people from my school too both leaving and junior cert.
    she has no shame, but she is good.

Advertisement