Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Lodging' money into credit card for use later

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey! Can anyone tell me if I can lodge money to my credit card account? Plan is to lodge before I go on holidays- won't be massive amount. I just want to have it in beforehand without waiting til I'm back in Ireland or til I get my statement..

It's at zero balance and I've only ever made monthly repayments with the bank giro thing that you get with your monthly statement.. is this the way you can 'lodge' money in as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ye, you can transfer any amount onto the card, like as if you were paying the bill. You can do it via online banking if you have the account number and sort code of your card provider. Use the card number as a reference.

Some cards (newer cards like aib click) charge you a fee for doing this, roughly €2 or so of the top of my head.

The only other thing i would say, is im not certain if the money is covered if the card was stolen, and the money was taken from the account. You might want this confirmed first.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not 100% sure but I think whatever card protection you have would cover a credit balance aswell, but check with your bank,

The Bank Giro you get with your Statements can be used to lodge money onto it in the bank if you have a spare one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

That's a great help- thanks to both of ye for your help.

Of those options I think I will go with lodging via the bank slip you get with your statement I think-- I don't want to set it up on online banking as I'd rather keep it as far away from my mind as possible. It's a card for one offs only.

Just one more question though. Could you lodge via. an ordinary lodgement slip- as in the one you normally use for current accounts/savings accounts etc.? If you know the sort code and account number- would it work as normal with the lodgement slip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

As far as I know you need to bank giro that they send with the statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There should be a giro form available in the bank for depositing money to a credit card. It's different from the bank account lodgement form though. If they're not on display, ask at the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A Credit Card is not a current account.

The result of putting your CC into Credit varies massivly from bank to bank. From nothing to having your card stopped until you contact them. So proceed carefully.

Also, any credit balance is not covered if your card is cloned.

jor el wrote: »
    There should be a giro form available in the bank for depositing money to a credit card. It's different from the bank account lodgement form though. If they're not on display, ask at the counter.

I can't do that though- the credit card is with Ulster Bank and I don't have branch near me. It looks like I will just have to do what was advised above, and use the slips they give you with your monthly statement.

A Credit Card is not a current account.

Yep I get that!

Neither is a current account a savings account- yet you can use the standard lodgement slip for both.

That's why I was asking can I use a standard lodgement slip to lodge funds into credit card account.

pog it wrote: »
    Yep I get that!

Neither is a current account a savings account- yet you can use the standard lodgement slip for both.

That's why I was asking can I use a standard lodgement slip to lodge funds into credit card account.

My post is more aimed at the fact your putting your card into credit.

Yes, all banks would have credit clips to lodge direct to your credit card.

My post is more aimed at the fact your putting your card into credit.

But what I'm wondering is can I use standard lodgement slips to lodge money into my credit card account.... faced with being unable to call into my Credit Card provider's bank branch.

• Advertisement

But what I'm wondering is can I use standard lodgement slips to lodge money into my credit card account.... faced with being unable to call into my Credit Card provider's bank branch.

All UB branches have lodgement books for CC in branch. All Fast Lodgement slips have a place to write in the CC number. Your normal lodgement book will not do unless you lodge it into your account and then transfer it over to your CC using Anytime.

Your only option after that is using your CC Statement docket and go into any bank. They will lodge it for you but may charge a fee for doing so.

All UB branches have lodgement books for CC in branch. All Fast Lodgement slips have a place to write in the CC number. Your normal lodgement book will not do unless you lodge it into your account and then transfer it over to your CC using Anytime.

Your only option after that is using your CC Statement docket and go into any bank. They will lodge it for you but may charge a fee for doing so.

Re. UB branches- that is no use to me. Sadly.

If it's the case that you cannot use standard lodgement slips to lodge money in to your credit card account, via another bank, say for example AIB, well then that's a shame.

You only get one slip with your monthly credit card statement after all.

Tant pis..

Re. UB branches- that is no use to me. Sadly.

If it's the case that you cannot use standard lodgement slips to lodge money in to your credit card account, via another bank, say for example AIB, well then that's a shame.

You only get one slip with your monthly credit card statement after all.

Tant pis..

Of course you can't use your standard lodgement slip. Its got all the wrong details on it. Why not use you normal slips and then transfer via the phone or the internet?

I am not aware of any bank issuing more than the standard one credit slip with a credit card.

You could photocopy your credit slip on your monthly statement, but you may find some banks will not accept a copy of a credit slip.

Advertisement