Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I learn about Game Theory?

• 23-04-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to learn about game theory for an exam and I will be given strategy matrix diagrams and asked question such as 'what is the Nash equilibrium' whether or not it is an example of 'prisoners dilemma etc. I just need to start from the beginning and can't really find good tutorials online. Anyone know of any useful resources to learn this topic?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Check your library for a book called:

Mathematics for Economists: An elementary survey

by Taro Yamane.

It has a section on Game Theory which starts from scratch. It's an old book, but a great one.

http://www.questia.com/library/book/mathematics-for-economists-an-elementary-survey-by-taro-yamane.jsp

EDIT: Just pulled out my copy and it doesn't cover Nash Equilibrium, most likely because few people were using it in 1962. That said, it is a great chapter which teaches you the basics.

Try sifting through this lot, as well:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061221212951/www.econphd.net/notes.htm

Warning, they are graduate notes. But some may be elementary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Thank you, much appreciated

Another question that I have to prepare for is an essay on 'why are there so many variations to the basic oligopoly model?' Just looking over some Oligopoly introduction notes now and it seems to be similar to game theory notes. Should I learn the fundamentals of Game Theory before attempting to understand Oligopoly? Sorry if this makes no sense, am a bit baffled by the whole thing to be honest.

What year are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

IO is game theory, from what I remember. Martin Osborne's An Introduction to Game Theory is a good book for beginners.

What year are you in?

2nd year Business

Ok, well as EM said, looking into Industrial Organistion textbooks would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

Hello all, didn't feel it was necassary to start a new thread for this so hope it's alright if I hijack this one temporarily.

Im studying some basic macroeconomics this year and have my exams coming up soon, can anyone provide some useful links to sites that might contain short videos on the relevant topics, which for my exams includes but not limited to:

Keynesian Economics, National Accounts, Measuring Economic Performance, Circular Flow of Income, Multiplier Effect etc etc

Like I said, videos would be preferable as I find it quite hard to absorb text, thanks in advance. Some of the youtube videos have been helpful, especially pajholden's stuff on microeconomics but I'd like to see some other stuff too, thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

I have this and its top notch...

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1426

And to save you the bother off the link heres the DVD chapters

Course Lecture Titles

1.The World of Game Theory2.The Nature of the Game3.The Real Life Chessboard—Sequential Games4.Life's Little Games—The 2 x 2 Classic Games5.Guessing Right—Simultaneous Move Games6.Practical Applications of Game Theory7.A Random Walk—Dealing with Chance Events8.Pure Competition—Constant-Sum Games9.Mixed Strategies and Nonzero-Sum Games10.Threats, Promises, and Commitments11.Credibility, Deterrence, and Compellence12.Incomplete and Imperfect Information13.Whom Can You Trust?—Signaling and Screening14.Encouraging Productivity—Incentive Schemes15.The Persistence of Memory—Repeated Games16.Does This Stuff Really Work?17.The Tragedy of the Commons18.Games in Motion—Evolutionary Game Theory19.Game Theory and Economics—Oligopolies20.Voting—Determining the Will of the People21.Auctions and the Winner's Curse22.Bargaining and Cooperative Games23.Game Theory and Business—Co-opetition24.All the World's a Game

(I cant promise anything but if I get my computer back anytime soon I could make up a few copies for ya... :) )

Damo123 wrote: »
    I have this and its top notch...

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1426

And to save you the bother off the link heres the DVD chapters

Course Lecture Titles

1.The World of Game Theory2.The Nature of the Game3.The Real Life Chessboard—Sequential Games4.Life's Little Games—The 2 x 2 Classic Games5.Guessing Right—Simultaneous Move Games6.Practical Applications of Game Theory7.A Random Walk—Dealing with Chance Events8.Pure Competition—Constant-Sum Games9.Mixed Strategies and Nonzero-Sum Games10.Threats, Promises, and Commitments11.Credibility, Deterrence, and Compellence12.Incomplete and Imperfect Information13.Whom Can You Trust?—Signaling and Screening14.Encouraging Productivity—Incentive Schemes15.The Persistence of Memory—Repeated Games16.Does This Stuff Really Work?17.The Tragedy of the Commons18.Games in Motion—Evolutionary Game Theory19.Game Theory and Economics—Oligopolies20.Voting—Determining the Will of the People21.Auctions and the Winner's Curse22.Bargaining and Cooperative Games23.Game Theory and Business—Co-opetition24.All the World's a Game

(I cant promise anything but if I get my computer back anytime soon I could make up a few copies for ya... :) )

Thanks Damo!

Advertisement