Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to offer to walk neighbours dog

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

i am currently out of work and my dog is benefiting from this enormously.
    The legs are walked off her everyday actually and she loves it :)

there is a dog living across the street and obviously his family work all day so i see him looking out the window several times a day and feel sorry for him. So it dawned on me that i could easily walk him with my own dog each day and at least he'd get out of the house (he's obviously very frustrated, he barks a good bit too during the day) and i'd love it too cos i'm mad about dogs.

I'm just wondering would the owners think it strange of me to offer?
    I'd love to get some opinions. They'd need to give me a key to their home and we are total strangers so they would be wary of that for sure but they would know where i live so I'm hardly gonna rob a tv or something!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Go over and have a chat with them, the worst they can say is no! Maybe casually mention "my guy would be mad during the day if I didn't walk him... would you like me to walk your dog during the day?... give him a break, tire him out etc." Maybe mention that you could go for a few walks with them before you go solo so that he gets used to you and doesn't freak out when a stranger comes into the house and tries to take him outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

i just hope they wouldn't think i'm being critical of them.

thing is i've never seen them out walking the dog at all (and you know the way you always see fellow dog owners out and about in the area) so i'd hate them to think i've been keeping an eye on them and that kinda thing yenno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I agree with your reasoning but I'm not sure this will end well. Try anyway It's the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I think its nice of you too offer and if they don't have the time to walk him themselves the might be really grateful of the help.
    That said if it was me I couldn't let anyone else walk my dogs, I'm a bit of an 'over protective mom' when it comes to my dogs, I won't even let my bf walk them without me :) But I am able to walk my lot everyday, something, prehaps these people aren't able to do so it might be a big help for them.

lrushe wrote: »
    That said if it was me I couldn't let anyone else walk my dogs, I'm a bit of an 'over protective mom' when it comes to my dogs, I won't even let my bf walk them without me :) But I am able to walk my lot everyday, something, prehaps these people aren't able to do so it might be a big help for them.

Its funny you should say that cos i wouldn't let anyone walk my dog either and i've only been abroad once in 6 years because i hate the idea of handing her over to kennels.

i'm gonna try to catch them this w-end and i hope they say yes for that little dogs sake. i've been trying to get in and out of my car quietly so as not to disturb him during the days. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Maybe casually mention "my guy would be mad during the day if I didn't walk him... would you like me to walk your dog during the day?... give him a break, tire him out etc." Maybe mention that you could go for a few walks with them before you go solo so that he gets used to you and doesn't freak out when a stranger comes into the house and tries to take him outside!

I would leave out the first bit. You don't know them and they don't know you, anything that could in any way raise the heckles avoid!

OP just go over and introduce yourself and get to know them a bit first.

Maybe they could drop the dog over in the morning when they leave for work along with bowls etc. They may not want to give a copy of their key and there could be an alarm.

If you do ask tell them you bring multiple poop dogs and keep their dog on the lead. Insurance/vaccinations/flea and tick treatment might be something you want to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I have asked a neighbour the same question. Think the best thing is to make it seem like they are helping you out. What I did was say " would you mind if I bring your dog out with mine for an hour to see if my fella calms a bit. When I brought them home I said it was fantastic the were both having a blast and that if I could I would like to do it every few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I walk one of my friends dogs. I met my friend in the pub one night and meself and the two lads went back to their house for a few drinks, this was about a year ago I met the two lads. Anyways. Having the few cans and they let the dog in. Lovely lab:) I now call upto to their house and bring buddy for walks and meself and the two lads are great friends now. They did find it a bit weird at the start though to be honest, now they hate no problems. They ring me and tell me when they are working and I call up and bring buddy off for a walk. The two lads are me best friends now. No harm offering to walk the dog at all.
    Ha ha only problem I have now is meeting the lads in the pub and going back to there house for a few cans. Buddy walks into me with his lead ha ha. Loves him though and I have brought him off for walks at 3:30 in the morning a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think its a great idea, but I would be careful how you approach them.
    Say hello a few times, and maybe mention the seeing the dog and ask his name, then ask would they like you to bring him with you during the day when you're walking your dog and he loves company.
    If it was someone you knew I would just say it outright, but people can be funny about their pets and you never know how they'd react.
    Also is this other dog friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Lucyx wrote: »
    i just hope they wouldn't think i'm being critical of them.

thing is i've never seen them out walking the dog at all (and you know the way you always see fellow dog owners out and about in the area) so i'd hate them to think i've been keeping an eye on them and that kinda thing yenno.

I have a neighbour I'd never seen walking their dog until a few weeks ago, I was out very early (6am) and met them, the dog was absolutely crazy, turns out he hates other dogs(he was a rescue and obviously never saw another dog) so they walk him at 6am and around midnight to avoid meeting other dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Mention it to them, the worst they can do is say no. Just be careful about how you approach them about it. Maybe say that you're out of work and you have lots of free time to walk your own dog and that your dog would love the company if they'd like you to take their dog out for a walk now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Its a funny one alright.. some people take offense.. but I think its more because they feel guilty.

My sister has a dog that is hardly ever walked.. I pass her house every day on my way to walk my 2 dogs and yet she never lets me bring her dog along... even though the dogs get on great.

I've come up with every idea and excuse i can think of, like saying that their dog is so good on the lead that it's help me train my pup.. or bringing her kids too and letting the older one hold their lead.. at this stage i just don't bring it up anymore.

Some people just think that as long as they feed their dogs they have their job done....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I won't let anyone walk my dogs, because they might let them off the lead, let go of the lead or if another dog attacked mine then they might not defend it with their lives :D

I would just chat to them for a while about the dog, be all compliments like, "I've seen your dog in there, he's lovely," and then say, "I'm out of work so I have loads of time to walk my dog, if you want I could take your one along, and my dog would love the company". And the worst they can say then is No.

They might have some reason for not walking it, like maybe it has arthritis, or they can't walk far for some reason, or just don't have the time. But it's worth asking, cos most people probably don't walk their dogs at all.

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Some people just think that as long as they feed their dogs they have their job done....

Couldn't agree more, it has to be one of my pet hates (pardon the pun! :))
    To me, having a dog and not walking it is as cruel as having a dog and not feeding it. One feeds a dogs stomach, the other feed the soul!!! :)

thanks for all the replies everyone and i just wanted to give you an update.

one evening the lady was outside her house so we had a little chat and i offered and oh my god she practically gave me the dogs lead there and then. believe me when i tell you no offense was taken at all.

the poor dog is given the bare minimum exercise and the lady was very enthusiastic about me doing her job. so she dropped the dog over the next day and i walked my own dog and the other dog and he (the dog) was delighted with the long walk (about 2 hours) and glad for the company i suspect.

it just drives me crazy though when people don't walk their dogs. when i'm working i get up early to make sure my dog gets a walk in and does all her toilet stuff and have a good sniff and then as soon as i'm home, i'm out with her again straight away. Like Irushe said, its actually cruel to not walk them frequently. And that dog is awake all day (I see him looking out the window) so he needs the long walks.

So I'm gonna walk him when I can but the annoying part is I think that the dogs family are gonna walk him less now cos I'm gonna walk him. I was kinda hoping that the walks I do with him would be in ADDITION to their walks:mad:

Well done you, I'm sure the walks he is getting now can only improve his life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulacork

Lucyx wrote: »
    i am currently out of work and my dog is benefiting from this enormously.
    The legs are walked off her everyday actually and she loves it :)

there is a dog living across the street and obviously his family work all day so i see him looking out the window several times a day and feel sorry for him. So it dawned on me that i could easily walk him with my own dog each day and at least he'd get out of the house (he's obviously very frustrated, he barks a good bit too during the day) and i'd love it too cos i'm mad about dogs.

I'm just wondering would the owners think it strange of me to offer?
    I'd love to get some opinions. They'd need to give me a key to their home and we are total strangers so they would be wary of that for sure but they would know where i live so I'm hardly gonna rob a tv or something!!

Hi Lucyx,

Honesty is the best policy ~ just call over to them and tell them that you're out of work at the moment and are looking for something to occupy your days and so you're asking all the neighbours with dogs if they need / want their dogs walked as you're walking your own dog anyway. Don't make out that they're the only people that you're asking as obviously that may offend them, just keep it casual and if they say no, they say no. Perhaps they have a side gate or something that they could give you a key to as opposed to giving you full access to their house. You're brilliant for offering in the first place and I know that if it was me, I'd be thrilled to have someone offer to walk my dogs during the day when I was at work.
    Best of luck!!

Advertisement