Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl Courses in Galway

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm looking to do a Tefl course in Galway city but the only one I can find when I google it is one in NUIG which doesn't start till October.

I'm working full time so ideally would like a part time or weekend course. I've no interest in doing a 20 quick fix course and I'd be willing to spend 500 quid or more to do a decent course.

I'm itching to get out of Ireland even though I love Galway so I'd like to get started ASAP.

Thanks guys..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

What type of Tefl course are you looking to do?? I Just signed up for the CELT course (includes Tefl and your recognised to teach english here in Ireland also) the two places I found the best were atlantic college where I enrolled place seemed pretty nice and the other one I looked at was the Galway language centre in the bridge mills also I read the Galway VEC also offer Tefl courses, regarding doing it part time the only part time slots I saw where in jan to april and the next one is Sept - Dec, hope this helps, Im hoping to be qualified and have all the Visa stuff sorted for a September job start in Asia, let me know how you get on and good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Be careful about doing TEFL. In some parts of the world they don't rate it at all. CELTA is regarded better in a lot of parts.

Which country you thinking of going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a few threads over in Teaching, this one is the longest and best.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273849

CELT schools http://acels.ie.somedomain.ie/Search.aspx?location=Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Jammyd wrote: »
    What type of Tefl course are you looking to do?? I Just signed up for the CELT course (includes Tefl and your recognised to teach english here in Ireland also) the two places I found the best were atlantic college where I enrolled place seemed pretty nice and the other one I looked at was the Galway language centre in the bridge mills also I read the Galway VEC also offer Tefl courses, regarding doing it part time the only part time slots I saw where in jan to april and the next one is Sept - Dec, hope this helps, Im hoping to be qualified and have all the Visa stuff sorted for a September job start in Asia, let me know how you get on and good luck! :)

Yeah...I was looking at the part time course in the Galway Language Centre and it looks great. I wish it was starting sooner but I guess it gives me time to save up.

It says on the website that you need to do an exam before being accepted.
    I'm going to brush up on my grammer over the weekend.

Has anyone here done this text? Is it difficult?!

I'm itching to travel so badly that I'm tempted to pack in my job and do teh full time course but that's probably not the smartest move.

The only course I'd really consider doing is the CELT course as it's the most widely recognised and the Cert is connected to Cambride University as far as I'm aware.

Pity it's so expensive but I think it'll be worth it.

Good luck on your travels & thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

biko wrote: »
    There's a few threads over in Teaching, this one is the longest and best.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273849

CELT schools http://acels.ie.somedomain.ie/Search.aspx?location=Galway

Fair play..that's really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Yeah...I was looking at the part time course in the Galway Language Centre and it looks great. I wish it was starting sooner but I guess it gives me time to save up.

It says on the website that you need to do an exam before being accepted.

Has anyone here done this text? Is it difficult?!

From What I did the last day it was one sheet of quick questions on grammer, present perfect and all that sort of stuff, really wasnt prepared as I had just walked in to find out info about the course but seriously it wasn't anything to worry about, they are just looking to gauge what level the students of the course are, I think their more interested in why you want to do the course.

AFAIK you only need to do a proper interview if you have not done an Undergraduate course i.e. a level 7 NFQ

In this instance you may be considered for the CELTA still BUT you will not recieve an ACELS validated award, only one you can use abroad but from what you say you need it for you'd be grand.

IMHO I would do the CELTA course, its a lot more intense from what I gather but way more recognised and you get a lot more teaching practice for confidence, but its a month of full time hours so don't know how you'd manage this if your working :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I did the part time TEFL course in NUIG from Oct to May.
    it wasa bit expensive and the course content could have been better.
    there are many courses that for 4 weeks in Atlantic, Bridge mills, etc. 4 weeks is pretty intense though, but once you finish you would be ready to go where you wanted. not sure of the price of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It's spelt "grammar"... ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I've just completed the CELT course in the Bridge Mills (well, the March one). It was great but it is very intensive. The pricing and structure were identical to the Atlantic one so I just went with it because I'm around that area more often; I can't think of anything specific to recommend one over the other.

Not entirely sure where to go from here, but I'll manage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

A lot of Asian countries don't require any type of TEFL or CELT course, they just want someone with a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guitargirl22

Hi, Could someone please tell me if it is essential to have a degree in order to do the TEFL course?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No a previous degree is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hi, Could someone please tell me if it is essential to have a degree in order to do the TEFL course?!

you are required to have a degree in some countries in order to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

What exactly is done as part of the Celt / Tefl course?

Like day to day, what's the syllabus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

We did Skills of teaching, grammar, listening, reading, cultural studies and a few other modules. Not sure about whether a degree is necessary for some places but keep in mind if they're too eager to have you without any questions being asked of you, they're acting as a business and only really after your money, make sure it's a reputable place.

What exactly is done as part of the Celt / Tefl course?

Like day to day, what's the syllabus?

Throughout the four-week course, we did
    - six hours of teaching actual classes, observed by professional teachers and my fellow TEFLers,
    - six hours of observing professional teachers giving classes,
    - a huge amount of writing reports on both,
    - six detailed, exhaustive written module assignments on various topics, such as assessing a student's proficiency level or comparing different styles of teaching
    - classes on the english language (grammar, pronunciation etc), teaching methods and theories, and some cultural backgrounds.

I got used to five-hour nights and no weekends, but the month flew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Throughout the four-week course, we did
    - six hours of teaching actual classes, observed by professional teachers and my fellow TEFLers,
    - six hours of observing professional teachers giving classes,
    - a huge amount of writing reports on both,
    - six detailed, exhaustive written module assignments on various topics, such as assessing a student's proficiency level or comparing different styles of teaching
    - classes on the english language (grammar, pronunciation etc), teaching methods and theories, and some cultural backgrounds.

I got used to five-hour nights and no weekends, but the month flew.

Are you going to head abroad to work john?

That's the plan, but I haven't submitted to anywhere yet.

Whats the difference between the CELT and CELTA course,iv read the CELTA is better,does it really matter? Can the CELTA be done in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Some schools requre a third level degree outright, some require you to have one within a certain amount of time (i.e. you could do it in the summer before your final year). Some places won't require a third level degree, but you won't be qualified to teach in Ireland.

Stay the hell away from i to i, and weekend/online TEFL courses are almost worthless.

I did my CELT last year in the North Mon Language Insitute in Cork, I recommend it.

Off to Spain in September. BANG

• Advertisement

clarelad wrote: »
    Whats the difference between the CELT and CELTA course,iv read the CELTA is better,does it really matter? Can the CELTA be done in galway?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273849&highlight=TEFL

Also,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055885364

did u get ur job through tefl.com dapto?

did u get ur job through tefl.com dapto?

No, but tefl.com is one of the best for looking for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi Lads,

I'm looking to do a Tefl course in Galway city but the only one I can find when I google it is one in NUIG which doesn't start till October.

I'm working full time so ideally would like a part time or weekend course. I've no interest in doing a 20 quick fix course and I'd be willing to spend 500 quid or more to do a decent course.

I'm itching to get out of Ireland even though I love Galway so I'd like to get started ASAP.

Thanks guys..

it used to be in the bridge mills once upon a time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

its not known in galway. it is better. you need a cert to teach english in ireland. you do not necessarily need one abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement