Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Cam

Options
  • 23-04-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else been watching the web cam on the nesting box in Derek Mooney's back garden? It's absolutely fascinating. The mother is incubating five eggs, the first of which is expected to start hatching this Sunday (April 25th). The daddy robin can be seen dropping by occasionally to feed his mate.

The camera is very clear and, during the day, there's good light so you see everything.

It's better than a soap opera.

Link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bookmarked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks for that my daughter loves it, have it bookmarked and emailed the link to loads of her friends(and some of mine;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. The kids love this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

This is brilliant. Would it be a good idea to post this over on Nature and Bird Watching too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

This is brilliant. Would it be a good idea to post this over on Nature and Bird Watching too?

Good thinking Batman. I coped my original post over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw thanks OP..this is great and already so addictive.

Some of them have hatched :D
    Amazing

Some of them have hatched :D
    Amazing
    Awww look...ive been watchin it all day, but stopped to clean and missed them hatching :o So cute!

edit:the dads on overdrive now bringin back the worms

Is there two hatched and two to go?

I thought there was 5 eggs...might be wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Aww that's amazing! I've bookmarked it so I'll keep checking back :)

From my conservatory I can watch a male robin at least twice a day coming to eat cat food from the windowsill. He's so smart and has successfully managed to avoid the cats so far. :D Also watched a blue tit fly into my guinea pigs run and eat with them, and my rabbit chasing crows around the garden!

I was hoping to get baby house martens in the shed since they built a nest (lined with hay, feathers and dog fur) but they obviously thought better of laying eggs in a shed full of dogs and cats.

Three hatched! Two to go.

Just looking at the 3rd chick shaking its way out of the remaining shell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

So cute!

But where's the mom gone? Shouldn't dad be bringing them food :D

I wonder if my robin has babies, I've seen him with another bird that I'm guessing was a girl robin a few times

Edited: Oh she's back

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

I'd say she can't be waiting around for the daddy to bring back food, they need to be fed regularly. This is just amazing! I was watching earlier and didn't expect to see them hatched tonight. I'm a primary school teacher and I have an Interactive whiteboard in my room, so my class were watching yesterday. They loved it.

I missed all the hatching action today :(

Looks like either three or four have hatched. I think it's four but I'm not seeing much movement from one little guy :( Hope he's just tired and will be moving more later.

Screen shot of three hungry mouths when the mother left the nest at 22.43 tonight.

386194155.jpg

Its fascinating! The dad keeps coming back with maggots and the mammy kind of chews along the length of them, probably to stop them moving.Cant see if she gives it to the chicks or eats them herself and regurgitates. He came back with a whopper of a catterpillar earlier and she wolfed it down :D

This is Big Brother..animal styley lovin it!I love the little wiggle she does before she sits down.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Can't get anything on the webcam at moment - just a blank white screen?

Ye me too, I was looking forward to this morning because they will be feeding them very regularly.

Lots of feeding going on right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭martina_670

There is a Blue Tit cam on there as well. Eggs not hatched yet? Think they have just arrived :D

http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/features/mooneycam/bluetitcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

This is amazing! The mother is back and forth non stop feeding her babies!
    I've been checking in on the Blue Tit too, and she must be enjoying her last few days of freedom before she lays her eggs because I haven't seen her yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just thought I'd check to see what the changes were and the Robin cam is down for me.

Anyone else?

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just thought I'd check to see what the changes were and the Robin cam is down for me.

Anyone else?
    yes the cam is down, getting an error message here :(

But the blue tit cam is still ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

yes the cam is down, getting an error message here :(

Ah. Thanks for confirming that Martina.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Ah. Thanks for confirming that Martina.
    its prob only down for a short time, it did that a few times before, just keep on trying every half hour or so and it should come back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

The Robin's are gone!!
    Wow, wasn't thinking they'd leave this soon! And can you see the other egg in the nest still? I wonder what will happen to that?

MoonDancer wrote: »
    The Robin's are gone!!
    Wow, wasn't thinking they'd leave this soon! And can you see the other egg in the nest still? I wonder what will happen to that?
    I only just looked at them about 20 mins ago as well and was thinking the same myself, cos i looked at them today around 6 and there was still 4 chicks, and now gone??? Weird

• Advertisement

something strange happening there, maybe its another nest?

Advertisement