Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Story: Paul Kimmage

• 23-04-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

On RTE now, might be interesting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

what did we think? interesting insight......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Nice insight into his life as a journalist. I didn't know he had written about Michelle Smith the way he did...

I like Kimmage. He might be very sensationalist, but you've gotta admire his honesty. Anyone who works to expose doping in cycling is alright with me!

Interesting that they didn't mention the more recent Kimmage vs. Armstrong malarchy....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Any word on what is new book "Engage" is about or if and when it will be published (original publish date was February 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

missed this, what was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

His new book is about a rugby player.

http://www.bikeradar.com/blogs/article/paul-kimmage-the-salman-rushdie-of-cycling-journalism-25332

...........Right now he's writing Matt Hampson's book called Engage. Matt is the ventilator-dependent quadraplegic who was injured on England Under 21 duty. "That's it though, no more books. I wrote Tony Cascarino's, but with the journalism it just puts too much strain on work and family."...............

I thought it was a good programme. He certainly has balls of steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgns7CXeUI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Dura Ace wrote: »
    He certainly has balls of steel....
    Agree fully but then most pro cyclists have this attribute. Just watch any mountain descent in any major race. Come to think of it some have only one ball of steel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

sy wrote: »
    Come to think of it some have only one ball of steel :rolleyes:
    i wonder why thats is?? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just watched this. Excellent program. He really comes accross as a passionate guy.
    Interesting to see his most prized award is his finishers medal from the 1986 TDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm just watching it now, the opening shots of Kelly on an open topped bus after his winning the Vuelta, I was on the top of that bus with him - lord the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just watched this. Excellent program. He really comes accross as a passionate guy.
    Interesting to see his most prized award is his finishers medal from the 1986 TDF.

Have to agree, just watched it myself - an excellent show. Even though it looks very ordinary, the TDF finishers medal is his most prized possession as it was his dream as a kid to compete in it. I can see why he's so proud of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I thought that was very good. Once again he comes across as an honest guy who believes in the integrity of sport. It was a little sad to see him at the end cycling off on his own, makes me more than a little disappointed in the likes of Roche at how they cast him out. And Gay Byrne, well the less said about him the better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I watched it and loved it. Which was a suprise in that I intially liked PKs work, but in last few years I have gone off him. I tend not to like the combo of just sports interviews plus the occasional crusade - I mean I thought that the questions to LA at his comeback in California last year were farcical (and I am no fan of LA).
    In saying that, depite what PK says his work on Michelle O Sullivan was fantatsic journalism. I remember atthe time being riveted about it.
    Good to see him back on the bike, even if it is a fugly bike. He also needs to get some nice bike gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

ROK ON wrote: »
    - I mean I thought that the questions to LA at his comeback in California last year were farcical (and I am no fan of LA).

Personally, I thought the questions to la were totally relavent. It was la's dismissal of the questions that was farcical.

Watched the programme myself last night. I'm a huge Kimmage fan. Thought the programme was really excellent. Cycling aside, he is a fantastic journalist.

My favourite piece of his, is his interview with Geoff Hurst. It's a brilliantly written piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

The footage of the open top bus and the big crowd out cheering was class. Was wondering if such a crows would assemble for cyclists today? Roche, and Kelly and Co were like superstars in their day and coverage seems limited these days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

that guy loves himself ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Funny, I though the shots at the end when he hopped up on the bike made him look no more like a cyclist. He looked awkward on a bike! That sais I like his work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Funny, I though the shots at the end when he hopped up on the bike made him look no more like a cyclist. He looked awkward on a bike! That sais I like his work

Wish I was awkward enough to finish 6th at the worlds and finish a Giro and a TDF and get 8th overall in the Nissan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Heh heh,

I knew when I wrote it I'd get a reply like that. As I said I'm a fan;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Funny, I though the shots at the end when he hopped up on the bike made him look no more like a cyclist.
    I guess that saying is true after all

Watched the show this evening. Very good. Kimmage is a class act. Got treated like anyone in Ireland telling the harsh truth - badly. The Late Late footage was priceless.

I still remember the Michelle Smith fiasco. Kimmage was portrayed as the Antichrist at the time. I learned a lot from that episode when the truth came out eventually.

EDIT: If you haven't read Rough Ride already, get your hands on it asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Don't forget Paul had a brother Kevin who was also a very talented cyclist. He won the Ras in 1991 and went on to ride the Olympics in Barcelona 1992 where he finished in 32nd place in the Road Race (Conor Henry was 35th) among some very illustrious names
    1,2,4,11,14, 20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

ROK ON wrote: »
    I watched it and loved it. Which was a suprise in that I intially liked PKs work, but in last few years I have gone off him. I tend not to like the combo of just sports interviews plus the occasional crusade - I mean I thought that the questions to LA at his comeback in California last year were farcical (and I am no fan of LA).
    In saying that, depite what PK says his work on Michelle O Sullivan was fantatsic journalism. I remember atthe time being riveted about it.
    Good to see him back on the bike, even if it is a fugly bike. He also needs to get some nice bike gear.

Who the heck is michelle osullivan?

Does it matter what he looks like or the bike - the man has been there done that and done alot more for the integrity of the sport than others! He doesnt need to impress anyone with Euro f**king tribars or skin clad lycra !!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

interesting take (actually not much more than an extended aside) on Kimmage in Parkin's book A Dog in a Hat. Which is well worth a read.

Advertisement