Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed NCT - worth fixing?

• 23-04-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I have a '98 Hyundai Accent Coupe with ~82,000 miles on the clock, runs fine. I need to sell it as i'm moving in June, so I put it through the NCT tonight and it failed on the following points:

"moisture in headlights, rear brake line advance corrosion, suspension ball joint worn, exhaust leaking."

I think with an NCT I could get somewhere in the region of 700-800 for the car.

Are these faults going to cost me a lot to get fixed or would I be better selling it to a local 2nd hand dealer type for a couple of hundred or just scrap it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Good question, if you are handy and can do the work yourself I.e. Getting 2nd hand headlamps etc then keep it. if you will get someone to do the work then it's not worth it. Then again it might be cheaper to fix than replace. If you had to replace the car, what would you buy to replace it out of interest?

Personally I would fix and keep it, if the engine was not drinking oil, as I would be doing all the work..

Best of luck with your car,
    cheers
    CarMuppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm selling it as i'm moving to London and won't need a car there.

Leaning towards selling it for 500-ish without NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Ah! Well that's different. you're right... Sell and run. :) best of luck with
    the move...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tubsy78

A good private garage should sort that for you a simple weld on the exhaust,new non genuine ball joint fitted,new if available Hyundai genuine brake pipe or one the garage can make perfectly and simply by drilling two small holes in the base of the headlights you can allow excess water drain from the headlamps,then leave your lights on while driving and in a couple of days they're condensation free .Repair costs should be in the region of €200 to 250 .Car should get up to €1000 if good and clean inside and out

Advertisement