Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Programmes

• 23-04-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello all,

Recently, I've been looking at a number of Msc programmes. I'm unsure as to whether it would be more prudential to do an MSc in Economics or an MSc in Econometrics. Most Economics programmes contain a significant component of econometrics; however, perhaps a programme wholly dedicated to econometrics would be more advisable, or, perhaps, it's just a matter of which area of the discipline one would like to focus on.
    Given the above, I was wondering, has anybody had any further input or advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I never heard of an MSc in Econometrics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Yeah, sorry about that. I probably should have posted a few links to such courses.
    There are such courses here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Well, in my experience, Econometrics has been the most useful subject that I have learned throughout my MA. It's like learning a language that allows you to read research papers. I have received very little from the Micro & Macro courses, but that's just me.

I should note that a lot of jobs I am looking at seem to look for skills with programs such as Excel VBA, Stata, SPSS, Matlab, R, C++, Java, and more.

If I was to go back and do a MSc which strongly focuses on Econometrics & Maths, I would have a look at what programs they teach you to apply your skills with. A course that teaches you a programming language (C++, Java) would be very useful.

LSE do masters courses in Econometrics I think.

The Masters in Warwick lets you take
    Advanced Econometrics, Microeconemetrics, Panel Data Econometrics and Financial Econometrics as your courses. You do these in addtion to core micro/macro courses and a thesis.
    Not sure if all of those courses are still running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

In general Etrics is a tool. If you are into the development of the tool, go for the Msc in same. If you are more about using the tool, then a good solid MSc/MPhil with a solid set of econometrics courses is enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement