Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When can I harvest my Rhubarb?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Novice question here. I planted rhubarb last year and came on well. Its shooting up again this year and I'm just wondering at what stage can I start cutting it? The shoots are a good foot long and look fine to eat as far as I can tell!But do I have to keep them growing and 'maturing' for a while or until they turn red, or can you cut them whenever you want?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can cut them when you want, the young shoots are considered nicer than the older ones, though I don't think it makes that much difference. I think you are not supposed to harvest it in the first year though.

Edit, decided to check that last point as i haven't grown rhubarb for a while, yes, that seems to be the case, have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingrhubarb1.shtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You shouldn't cut rhubarb, you should pull it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I've already had one crop from mine (lovely rhubarb tarts) and second growth is well along. You should pull first years growth but don't eat it. I have no idea where this piece of advice comes from but seems to be the general consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

yummy

Harvesting of established crops occurs about every 6 to 8 weeks when 4 to 8 mature stalks can be harvested from each plant. The leaf stalks separate easily from the crown and are removed by grasping them near the base and pulling slightly to one side. Cool soon after harvest to prevent loss of quality of the stems. Leaves are removed or partly removed by trimming neatly to the end of the stem and the stalks tied in bundles which are graded for length, girth and colour.

Just keep harvesting stalks, Don't pull the plant out, you'll have to start all over again.

Propagation using seed requires selection and culling over one or two seasons. Transplants are established at higher densities than when using crowns to allow for culling of poor types. Plants are selected for vigorous growth and stalk shape, thickness, length, tenderness and colour. Deep rich red stalks, over 30cm in length contribute to the highest yields and best returns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

if you planted it last year let it grown away, do not touch, next year you can take a little then the year after you will have a bumber crop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement