Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Paper

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oscarwild

Some one please send the still life info.. that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I got all the papers today, so I can send scans of the imaginary composition paragraphs for whoever wants them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Me please! x

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Yeah wouldnt mind the passages either.. :)

Cheeeers =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

All of the practicals (life drawing, craftwork etc.) are so dire compared to the pre and in 2009, the history better not go down the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

you know what's really stupid? they told my art teachers to give out the papers a week breforehand, and on the envelope it said something like a week or else nothing at all, can't remember which, and then we open up teh envelopes and INSIDE the bloody thing it says we could have gotten the papers on Tuesday!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

That's kinda weird because the themes for puppetry etc that have been posted on this already aren't what I got!!! Higher level... I got :
    The Mona Lisa
    The Gladiator
    A Street Performer...

So I'm a bit confused.
    Got mine yday (friday) and I don't think we're doing it on Thursday even though the paper says to, is it kinda up to the school when you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

That's kinda weird because the themes for puppetry etc that have been posted on this already aren't what I got!!! Higher level... I got :
    The Mona Lisa
    The Gladiator
    A Street Performer...

Why would they give you the mona lisa???? that gives you no choice at all, only to make the mona lisa??
    or Possibly leonardo??

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

The Mona Lisa
    The Gladiator
    A Street Performer...

So I'm a bit confused.
    Got mine yday (friday) and I don't think we're doing it on Thursday even though the paper says to, is it kinda up to the school when you do it?

wtf?

!?! wrote: »
    you know what's really stupid? they told my art teachers to give out the papers a week breforehand, and on the envelope it said something like a week or else nothing at all, can't remember which, and then we open up teh envelopes and INSIDE the bloody thing it says we could have gotten the papers on Tuesday!!!!

Basically that's the department's recommended day, it's up to your school itself to set your individual dates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

The Mona Lisa
    The Gladiator
    A Street Performer...

So I'm a bit confused.

That's the design paper. The themes posted a few pages back are from the craftwork paper. They're different papers. The craftwork is the 5 hour one and the design is the 2 and a half hour one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

zam wrote: »
    Basically that's the department's recommended day, it's up to your school itself to set your individual dates!

yeah but we're going by their exam dates, and out teachers were told not to only give out the papers one week before not earlier, and tuesday is over a week before :confused:

!?! wrote: »
    yeah but we're going by their exam dates, and out teachers were told not to only give out the papers one week before not earlier, and tuesday is over a week before :confused:

awh that's so annoying! ah well sure... at least you've the bank holiday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Poses are God awful I think.. Objects arent great either.. themes are crap. Thanks State Exams! History better be ****ing ok.. >:(

Im doing Milan Fashion Week .. what are ye doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Hi! Im doing Milan Fashion Week too!:D
    Guys, I actually don't really know this, but what gets you that high grade in the craftwork, now that I got the themes im really gonna work hard to try get that A1, would make it so much easier to get my points with even 1 A1. What do the examiners really look for?

A193 wrote: »
    Guys, I actually don't really know this, but what gets you that high grade in the craftwork, now that I got the themes im really gonna work hard to try get that A1, would make it so much easier to get my points with even 1 A1. What do the examiners really look for?

wish I knew!! Unfortunately only 1% of art students in the country get A1s...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

A well composed and thought out, original idea usually. Try not to be really obvious with what you draw, the examiners gonna be looking at hundreds of posters of just models so mix it up a bit to be memorable.

My god these poster themes are awful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Seeing as I'm doing puppetry and not a poster anymore, I'm gonna throw my idea out there! (most of you will think wtf though!!!)

For 'Safety in the workplace'; I was going to make the page of paper the mirror in the middle of the car. The picture would include a mother's eyes (looking in the mirror from the driver's seat) back at her young child in the backseat (in a baby seat).
    She's a housewife, her child is her workplace. Doesn't have to advertise anything, and I don't think many people here will get how cooooooooooool of an idea it is!

Somebody do it in memory of me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

It really won't matter how hard you work for it, it's very difficult to get an A1. I've already gotten into an art college but I'm still guessing I'll get an B1 at best.
    I'm doing Milan fashion week as well. I have a good enough idea for it but I'm not posting it on here but I'd say everyone in the country is doing it at this point. (I know they're obviously not but it is the overly obvious one.) They are Shocking themes - snooker tournament?! Come on like.

Also that idea is not a really good one..if at all..It doesn't make any sense whatsover - the examiner won't pick up it's a housewife at all and also that's quite an insult to women. It's your LC, you should be taking it a little bit more seriously. I know a guy who wanted to do something funny but the teacher had to talk him out of it because it'll have an effect on your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I wouldn't really agree with you on that one Orlaladuck. Our teacher is always saying that a bit of humour and an out there idea is really good, the examiners want something new and original and if you can throw in a bit of humour it really adds to it.

A lot of people in my class are doing the safety at work theme, and I'm not going to give away any of their ideas except to say that there is a WIDE range of workplaces being used, some of them are quite humorous too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

I'm with Curlyhatescurls, its good not to take yourself too seriously with this stuff, the examiners not a robot like and if you can do a funny essay in english then why not in art too?
    I liked the car idea, its not the clearest but its a completely different take on the theme that i'd never have thought of anyway.

And an A1s not impossible to get, just difficult but thats the same as in any subject. And I really want an a1 in art!

Im have my idea but its not concrete just yet. Im a bit worried TBH, its an ok idea but i just think its not a great idea..
    If the word milan wasn't in it i would be flying it. Im actually leaning towards a creative 'safety in the workplace' idea, my teacher will flip if i change though. Hopefully this evening I can set down proper ideas for both themes, not looking foward to doing the prep sheet though, we were never clearly shown what to do but after doing my art portfolio I think i know..

Emmpty wrote: »
    I'm with Curlyhatescurls, its good not to take yourself too seriously with this stuff, the examiners not a robot like and if you can do a funny essay in english then why not in art too?

The thing about humour is though, that it's very subjective, what you might see as being clever and funny the examiner might take in a very different way. The examiners not going to be impressed if it looks like you're completely taking the p1ss.

My teacher says the Text is so important, what do examiners like tho?
    Is there a 'marking scheme' as such, or definite mark-getters?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Lawliet wrote: »
    The thing about humour is though, that it's very subjective, what you might see as being clever and funny the examiner might take in a very different way. The examiners not going to be impressed if it looks like you're completely taking the p1ss.

That's what I basically meant. The lad I was on about for the mock he did a boy walking hand in hand with a walking library and whilst it was really funny to us, it didn't get much though even though it was a clever idea.
    I'd consider someone doing a naked lady holding a builders hat mischiously humourous for the 'Safety in the workplace' one because it'd be quite obviously whereas just a women and child in a car? I can't see the connection.
    I thought earlier, if you could find out the kind of architecture they use in Milan, it'd be cool if you did a wall and a hole looking into a fashion show, a bit Banksy-esqe > http://artandmusic.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/071208-banksy.jpg

OH. The text just has to be Clear and Bold. Make it easy to see and read and MEASURED. For the love of god make sure it's measured!:L

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

My teacher says the Text is so important, what do examiners like tho?
    Is there a 'marking scheme' as such, or definite mark-getters?

From what I can remember you should put a lot of effort into the prep work. Put effort into choosing a style of text that suites the poster. I remember on my prep work I experimented with it, making sure it was well aligned and neat (I'm sure you already know all that though..)

I think the examiners are really looking for clear, neat work, and also skill. Remember that If you put a lot of work into your prep you don't have to worry so much about the poster on the day. I remember my teacher telling us that they won't give the overall poster as much marks. I think that's fair in some ways because anything could go wrong on the day.

I has a terrible stomach bug on the days of my art, my poster looked terrible. But I still did well because I had good prep work.

Sorry if this didn't help..

Oh and yes there is a marking scheme. I remember my teacher doing a mock version of one with my class. I can't completely remember what was in it.
    I think they have a list and they look at your work, then go through the list giving it certain marks.

We usually do two/three boxes and draw our ideas in them, improving it each time..? Must look at my poster & prep results, don't remeber them..

Got the paper on Friday and exam's next Monday - would it be suicidal to change my theme now?

Mines thursday, im still not 100% :S

• Advertisement

zam wrote: »
    Got the paper on Friday and exam's next Monday - would it be suicidal to change my theme now?

Of course not; you've got a week! If you think you can do a better job with another theme then switch. It's only an idiot move to switch when you don't have enough time to prepare and practise.

Advertisement