Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I do hope you sleep well tonight...

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

To the people who decided to dump their foal at the side of the Headford Road roundabout tonight around 10pm,

I do hope you can sleep well tonight.

Same to the fella who thought it would be hilarious to video the whole thing while yer two buddies pushed the horse across the main road.

Fair play to the cops, they were on the ball fairly quick -- However I think they just missed the lads as they pulled off in their white transit van.

Disgraceful behavior.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

fend wrote: »
    To the people who decided to dump their foal at the side of the Headford Road roundabout tonight around 10pm,

I do hope you can sleep well tonight.

Same to the fella who thought it would be hilarious to video the whole thing while yer two buddies pushed the horse across the main road.

Fair play to the cops, they were on the ball fairly quick -- However I think they just missed the lads as they pulled off in their white transit van.

Disgraceful behavior.

That is absolutely awful :(

I just hope they'll be stupid enough to upload the video to youtube and get caught in the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

what happens with the horse now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

chilly wrote: »
    That is absolutely awful :(

I just hope they'll be stupid enough to upload the video to youtube and get caught in the act.

They probably will and all:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Poor little guy. What exactly was the point of abandoning him so conspicuously? For ****s and giggles? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Jeez that's horrific. Some people don't deserve..I don't know, but certainly what they've got. Shame.

There was a foal/donkey brown and white one tied to a tree up by Westside Dunnes two days a ago..what are the chances of it being the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

if they are caught they should be tied to a pole or tree and see what that feels like, its sick what these scum do for a laugh,:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

as they pulled off in their white transit van.

<sarc>Must have been travellers.</sarc>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:(

Assholes.

Is the foal ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Horse abandonment and neglect (well animals in general actually) has gone on far too long now in my opinion. I have said it before, and I still maintain that the authorities or groups that are supposed to deal with this i.e. the gardai, the Dept. of Agriculure and the GSPCA are all brilliant at passing the buck. This needs to be dealt with properly once and for all. Everyone knows that this cruelty goes on. Everyday neglected horses can be seen in numerous locations around Galway, be they on farmland, halting sites or on council lands in the middle of housing estates. There will always be scum that abuses animals but allowing it to continue is the saddest thing about it. Why are these people not prosecuted? Why is it not policed? And before I hear it's because of money, it's not. It still went on in throughout our celtic tiger years. The traveling community are not the only ones that abuse horses, nor are all travelers animal abusers but it cannot be denied that it does happen, and happen a lot. It happens on farms also but my point is, why is it allowed to continue and why, once it is reported, is it like pulling teeth to get government departments or animal welfare groups to do anything constructive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

The foal was forcefully PUSHED across the road, I know because I was the one who let them pass. There was a significant amount of cars on the road at this time, and they were pretty much holding up the whole show.

It was the guy with the camera that annoyed me the most --

They transported the foal there by a white transit that had an almost "pick-up" truck back on it with a grid cage side. Not appropriate for transporting animals. Similar to the blue trucks the council use on shop street for picking up rubbish.

No only was the foal traumatised from being tied beside i busy road, but the journey to ACTUALLY get there must have been something else altogether!

No idea what the cops did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They transported the foal there by a white transit that had an almost "pick-up" truck back on it with a grid cage side. Not appropriate for transporting animals. Similar to the blue trucks the council use on shop street for picking up rubbish.

Toyota dyna style.
    Also useful for carrying old copper pipes, lead scraps, pallets etc.

I just sent an email to the Dept. of Agri, the City Council and the GSPCA to bring this to their attention. I want to know if the matter will be pursued by any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

It's all very well posting about it here, i know i would like to tell as many people as possible if i saw something likethat happen.
    but did you get the van's reg and if you did, did you give it to the guards?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    It's all very well posting about it here, i know i would like to tell as many people as possible if i saw something like that happen.
    but did you get the van's reg and if you did, did you give it to the guards?

I know, I genuinely tried to get the registration plate, even attempted to go around the roundabout 2 or 3 times, but between the busy traffic at that time, and the general commotion they were causing, it was harder than expected, especially being the only person in my car at the time :(

I'm HOPING someone else got the number and told the guards before me. The guards flew down as I was driving up towards Tescos but the culprits had vanished when I followed the cops down.
    I guess I panicked at the spur of the moment, probably should have made more of an effort to get it, my own fault. But was totally and utterly shocked at what I was seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    It clearly was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

This incident reminds me of last week when I saw a big fat fuk on a sulkey (sp?) with a TINY foal who was really struggling to pull the fat bastard:mad: This was at the lights near the Blackrock clinic and the scummy fuk was getting very frustrated because he couldn't get the horse through the lights in time before they changed colour.

I've often seen two of these things side by side on the old Monivea road (going up past McGreals) blocking traffic and not giving a crap.

Why isn't something done? Don't be soft in the head for Jesus sake, that NOT PC and you can't pick on minorities:mad::mad::mad:

I contacted the Dept. of Agriculture's vet before about a similar thing involving clearly starved horses on a halting site and the response was that "they are bred to be thin." It's amazing that you can breed horses nowadays so that there ribs can be clearly seen :rolleyes: I definitely think that there is a strong PC undercurrent and the different departments would rather turn a blind eye to the neglect than risk offending the traveler's "culture". Again, I'm not saying that all travelers treat their animals badly but it is prevalent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

More fear than PC I'd say.

Last edited by po0k; Today at 12:28. Reason: sarcasm tags added in good faith, on foot of an infraction. Don't misplace it.

I don't get you. Misplace what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I contacted the Dept. of Agriculture's vet before about a similar thing involving clearly starved horses on a halting site and the response was that "they are bred to be thin."

They are not thin....... it's just their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

you see it all the time at carrowbrowne , travellers racing horses and cart without any consideration for other road users. they have no feed for the horses because they would have to buy it so they just put them onto unused land beside the halting site. with the government spending millions of euros rebuilding carrowbrowne halting site they have a load of horseboxes lined up outside.

I was reading in my local paper a few weeks ago of a traveller threatening the life of a guy who worked in the pound where his horses were being held.

The horses were being left on public land so they were impounded. The travellers were all up in arms, demanding their horses back.

He said that the government should provide land for their horses.

He said that the government should provide land for their horses.

In that case, I should be provided money for shoe shopping :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    This incident reminds me of last week when I saw a big fat fuk on a sulkey (sp?) with a TINY foal who was really struggling to pull the fat bastard:mad: This was at the lights near the Blackrock clinic and the scummy fuk was getting very frustrated because he couldn't get the horse through the lights in time before they changed colour.

I've often seen two of these things side by side on the old Monivea road (going up past McGreals) blocking traffic and not giving a crap.

Why isn't something done? Don't be soft in the head for Jesus sake, that NOT PC and you can't pick on minorities:mad::mad::mad:

- this is my post from Doughiska thread, as nobody cares I will copy it here:
    "
    Hopefully you wont be trampled by two fat guys on some kind of two wheel carts with horsers! eek.gif I really have enough! If not some stupid motor bikes - horse races! Crap! Today I almost died when I saw them. There was also elderly man walking quietly with pram and his dog -I couldnt watch this ,he hardly catched his dog before they came close to him! They were galloping like crazy and to be honest it didnt look like they were in much of control of their horses! Another think is: do they also have to clean after their "pets"? There was path of horses pooh on the way near play ground! I dont have anything against this kind of "sport?" ,but do you think this is the right place to do this??? I am afraid now, next time I will let my dog of the lead I wont be abble to recall him before I will see them coming! frown.gif "

-I will also say last time I was waiting on the bus on Doughiska road I've seen two boys around horses on the field beside construction site- one of them was hitting horser in a really nasty way... :/

Just a follow-up to the the email I sent (mentioned earlier in thread). I got a response from the GSPCA. It was prompt and as follows:

"Dear Tristan,
    Thank you for your email. The Gardai are investigating this case.
    Regards
    GSPCA"

I'm very glad that the GSPCA have taken note...but I will inquire again soon as to any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I know, I genuinely tried to get the registration plate, even attempted to go around the roundabout 2 or 3 times, but between the busy traffic at that time, and the general commotion they were causing, it was harder than expected, especially being the only person in my car at the time :(

I'm HOPING someone else got the number and told the guards before me. The guards flew down as I was driving up towards Tescos but the culprits had vanished when I followed the cops down.
    I guess I panicked at the spur of the moment, probably should have made more of an effort to get it, my own fault. But was totally and utterly shocked at what I was seeing.

ah ****, i hope they don't get away with it, but they probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I was driving at the back of Westside Shopping Centre last evening and the Guards had pulled over a white transit pick up with a grid cage, and were questioning the driver. Hopefully it's in relation to this.

This is what customer services in Galway City Council had to say re. the matter. I don't understand the "may pursue" part at all seeing as they did break the law in that this was animal cruelty :confused: In general, yes I understand it but in this case, I think it's clear-cut. I would think that if they are not pursued, then the law is being ignored.

Dear Tristan,

Thank you for contacting Galway City Council.

When we receive a report that horses are loose in the City Council area we notify a member of staff who has responsibility for taking control of the horses.

The Department of Agriculture are involved if the horse has died.

The Gardai may be involved in both situations and may persue the people responsible for the cruelty.

I agree that this behaviour is unacceptable.

If you have any further questions, please email us at customerservice@galwaycity.ie or call our Customer Service team on 091-536400.

We are available from 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

what's with the 'may' be involved and 'may persue' (sp)..all a bit pass the buck as usual..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... I don't understand the "may pursue" part at all

The council can't make promises on behalf of the gardai: council staff can report things all the like, but cannot force the guards to do anything about it.

We'd all like to think that they investigate every crime that's reported, but realistically there aren't that many guards.

That said ... this case sounds pretty clear cut.

Advertisement