Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage?

• 23-04-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Im in the market to buy a vinatge electric and was wondering what to watch out for? I'd love a LP but at the same time dont want to buy something that has been kicked around the place over the years and has had several botched repair jobs. I dont mind scratches and dings but would like advice on where to buy/wha to look out for etc??

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I gotta ask - why do you want to buy a vintage instrument? For the old look? For the old 'mojo' tone? Investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

How much are you planning on spending ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

gerarda wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Im in the market to buy a vinatge electric and was wondering what to watch out for? I'd love a LP but at the same time dont want to buy something that has been kicked around the place over the years and has had several botched repair jobs. I dont mind scratches and dings but would like advice on where to buy/wha to look out for etc??

Cheers

Do plenty of research, much better prices in the UK. Avoid eBay and don't buy anything without seeing it.
    Here's a site to start with, the prices will soften your cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

feylya wrote: »
    I gotta ask - why do you want to buy a vintage instrument? For the old look? For the old 'mojo' tone? Investment?

All three, plus the quality should be better than todays LP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Jimi's might be worth a look as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I'd love a LP but at the same time dont want to buy something that has been kicked around the place over the years and has had several botched repair jobs. I dont mind scratches & dings

http://en.item.rakuten.com/ishibashi-used/315315105/

Go for a high spec relic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

All three, plus the quality should be better than todays LP's.

Not necessarily. I know Gibson are letting a lot of people down with quality control issues, but guys like Edwards and Bacchus absolutely loved around here. I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

If you want a Vintage guitar then you could possible get a great sounding guitar with a great feel or you could end up buying a crap vintage guitar.

However, with today's technology and advancement in both electronics and building techniques you would definitely get a fantastic sounding, looking and feeling guitar, brand new for the price of a vintage axe!

Bacchus, High end Tokai, ESP, Suhr, Sugi, PRS etc etc etc. All will cost less or the same as a Vintage Gibson and be most likely better value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭FruscianteFan

If you are looking for the vintage mojo but a real player of a guitar check out Gil Yaron. He makes some of the most amazing guitars in the world. They are vintage copies but they are amazing. His attention to detail is amazing, for example on a build of a 1959 Les Paul he got the exact same tooling marks on the pickup mounting rings as on the original!! Check him out here http://www.gilyaronguitars.com/ You can see walk throughs on his builds and sound and video clips. You might even be the first in Ireland to get on of his guitars!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Marshall Ireland

Hi Folks,

Cheers
    jimismusicstore.ie

He's an avid vintage fan, both guitars and amps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement