Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press ups and aerobic fitness

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Well lads, just after doing some press ups there, and over the last while I've been noticing that I haven't been able to do as many as I used to. I haven't been doing any serious football training in about a year, it being my final year of college and all. I'm coming to the conclusion that aerobic fitness has a big part to play in the number of press ups I can do. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm coming to the conclusion that aerobic fitness has a big part to play in the number of press ups I can do. What are your opinions?

Since your muscles need a plentiful and efficient supply of oxygen for local muscular endurance, and a healthy and efficient CV will provide 'em I'd have said this is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Since your muscles need a plentiful and efficient supply of oxygen for local muscular endurance, and a healthy and efficient CV will provide 'em I'd have said this is a no brainer.

Press ups are primarily an anaerobic activity though. I would say if you want to be able to do more press ups then you should do more press ups. :) (not being smart)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

My guess would be that it depends on where you are coming from (I mean in terms of what you are feeling). For someone like you who has presumably done alot of aerobic and anaerobic training for your football and has eased off a bit its possibly the loss in aerobic you are feeling.

For someone like me with a gammy shoulder I have had to nurse for years the limitation on the number of pressups I can do is anaerobic, since I avoid anything too strenuous on the shoulder for years (thou I'm converting to the idea now of trying to build up the shoulder so that could change:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

It's been said, but the way you get better at press ups is by doing more press ups. Do them on an incline (with your hands higher than the ground) if you need to make them easier for a short while but gradually drop the incline as you do more reps. The other alternative is doing as many as you can and do three or four eccentric reps where you just lower yourself slowly through the downward part of the movement. Hope that'll help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 activegal

I agree with Harlee Nutty Munitions. Incidently OP, (obvious question here!) how frequently do you do your push ups (considering your schedule etc)? i.e. has your frequency decreased like the frequency for your football / aerobic training?? then it's just a simple loss of strenght /endurance, and you need to start doing more/ doing them more often...

• Advertisement
Advertisement