Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

found spider (possibly tarantula) please help?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I was sitting in the kitchen when I saw a spider running across the floor. I quickly jumped up (I am afriad of small spiders!) and put it under a glass.

I now have it in a "jug" thing covered with cling-film with air holes

I was looking at it their.. it really looks like a tarantula
    It has those two things at the end of its abdomen (forget the name of them) and it has 8 legs (I think all spiders do though)
    It has a strange yellow/white stripe on its back (probably about 4 lines) horizontally acrross.

It isnt climbing the glass of it so it is probably is terrestrial

Should I put "muck" (like moss/compost from the plant pots) inside of the jug

Also.. what should I feed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nicolevins

also - the spider does have small bits of hair on its legs. I can see the "fangs" and I can see.. you know if you pinch hold a T? and you look at its belly (like what you see when it is molting) Yeah it has that

Could I feed it pin head crickets if I check the pet shops tomorrow??

Here are the (badly taken) pictures

http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae134/nicolevins13/spider/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

nicolevins wrote: »
    also - the spider does have small bits of hair on its legs. I can see the "fangs" and I can see.. you know if you pinch hold a T? and you look at its belly (like what you see when it is molting) Yeah it has that

Could I feed it pin head crickets if I check the pet shops tomorrow??

Here are the (badly taken) pictures

http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae134/nicolevins13/spider/

haha is this a joke ya cant even access them pics its asking for a password

Sorry about that didnt realise haha

Here are the pics

PHOT0003.jpg
    PHOT0008.jpg
    PHOT0016.jpg

And yeah, im aware that my camera pics up **** light

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

I AM LITERALLY LMAO !!!!

holy **** that's a nasty looking thing and iv two tarantulas in my room id be more afraid of that thing then my tarantulas which i too am afraid of haha i dont mind looking at them but touch hell no im terrified that is one creepy looking spidey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Highly remininsent of a post bubbles made about 5 years ago. it's a dolomedes fimbriatus or something similar, harmless spider.

potsy86 wrote: »
    holy **** that's a nasty looking thing and iv two tarantulas in my room id be more afraid of that thing then my tarantulas which i too am afraid of haha i dont mind looking at them but touch hell no im terrified that is one creepy looking spidey

haha, im getting a tarantula in june me first one cant wait (i like them just not the small ones)

ah well, im probably over exagurating.. since when are tarantulas running around in peoples houses haha

since when are tarantulas running around in peoples houses haha

thats it sure they'd mostly be kept high at waist level a fall would kill them if they got out there very delicate, imagine waking up wit a that on your face hahahaha oh no id never sleep the same again

thats it sure they'd mostly be kept high at waist level a fall would kill them if they got out there very delicate, imagine waking up wit a that on your face hahahaha oh no id never sleep the same again

hahah, same with me i'd be sh*ttin it

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Try and get it to bite you and see if you get any special powers

• Advertisement

Try and get it to bite you and see if you get any special powers
    i'll pass on that 1

iv just gone and creeped my self out now i goggled that name the other person said and looked at the pictures they are creepy looking things id rather a tarantula on my face any day

iv just gone and creeped my self out now i goggled that name the other person said and looked at the pictures they are creepy looking things id rather a tarantula on my face any day
    thats what im after been doing!
    definitely - a T on my face would be much better!

so eh.. im not gonna put it out till tomorrow so for the time being.. do you think i should put it in water? like put water in the jug (tap water that is)

it doesnt seem to like the jug and it had like 4 legs on the side trying to 'move away'

ive read thats what tarantulas do when they dont like their substrate/floor

thats what im after been doing!
    definitely - a T on my face would be much better!

so eh.. im not gonna put it out till tomorrow so for the time being.. do you think i should put it in water? like put water in the jug (tap water that is)

it doesnt seem to like the jug and it had like 4 legs on the side trying to 'move away'

ive read thats what tarantulas do when they dont like their substrate/floor

yup they try to get out its gas i only got my second one last week lil baby one got a bag of bedding stuff wit it dif stuff to the other one had loads over so changed the other one with it and within seconds after puting her back in she dived on top of the house/hide and refused to budge till i changed it back

yup they try to get out its gas i only got my second one last week lil baby one got a bag of bedding stuff wit it dif stuff to the other one had loads over so changed the other one with it and within seconds after puting her back in she dived on top of the house/hide and refused to budge till i changed it back

ah, haha!
    great way of tellin ya!!!

does anyone think i should put water in it until tomorrow when i release it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Well if it's not a dolomedes fimbriatus and you put water in the jug, it'll be dead. Suppose that's one way of finding out if it is a dolmedes fimbriatus, though.

ah, haha!
    great way of tellin ya!!!

does anyone think i should put water in it until tomorrow when i release it?

that might drown it if it creates a puddle or pi*ss it off haveing to walk around on a wet floor :p it should be ok it hasnt rained in ages so id say its well able to survive without water

that might drown it if it creates a puddle or pi*ss it off haveing to walk around on a wet floor :p it should be ok it hasnt rained in ages so id say its well able to survive without water
    yeah suppose.... thanks for your help potsy86 !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jaysus kill that thing before it's able to reproduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

years ago i used to work on a elders and fiffes banana boat,when we picked up bananas from jamaica,it was my job[with the first mate]to go down in the hold to check that we dident have any one hiding in the cargo of bananas,it dident bother me,but the first mate used to come out of the hold with big red blotches over his fase and hands,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think people are overestimating how big it actually is :)
    We had one like this in a cobweb outside our front door and we considered it a pet, since it never bothered us. It was black and brown with stripes and mostly kept to itself. good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Thats not a tarantula. Thats a common garden spider. You get them in the countryside. I have had bigger in my home........what is most scary about them is they are super fast!

There have been sightings of exotic spiders in Ireland, most notably the Wolfman spider, carried in luggage by people returning from Australia.

And also you eat 7 spiders in your sleep during your lifetime, but rest assured that one will wake you up, if you ever eat it in your sleep.

Hey, OP, just imagine the size of the ones lurking around that you havent found ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

LOL.... a tarantula you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Does it look like this fella? pic taken on my balcony, apparently its a common bridge spider - or so I was told. totally harmless - unless you're a fly

its body was about the size of a 5 cent coin

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/67873/90945.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ye should have told him it was a tarantula....

whatnext wrote: »
    Does it look like this fella? pic taken on my balcony, apparently its a common bridge spider - or so I was told. totally harmless - unless you're a fly

its body was about the size of a 5 cent coin

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/67873/90945.jpg

jez thats a mad looking spider gives me the creeps just looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

jez thats a mad looking spider gives me the creeps just looking at it

I know, thats why I had to find out what it was. Its web was about 8 x 6 feet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

As an Australian, I must re-iterate the fact that the OP is a girly man.

Thats not a spider ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Pretty sure Nicole is a girls name. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Jumpy wrote: »
    As an Australian, I must re-iterate the fact that the OP is a girly man.

Thats not a spider ...

This is a spider!

Regimental%20Silver%20spoon%20-%20Inns%20of%20Court%20Rifle%20Volunteers_Regimental%20spoon.Jpg

A game of spider spooney anyone?

Advertisement