Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singers/bands wearing sunglasses indoors

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

No matter what performance I see by singers or bands, no matter how top notch it is, I just can't take them seriously when they are wearing sunglasses indoors, and more than likely at night time. It's just wrong wrong wrong. I know they probably think they are cool, but it's just not on. Would you have a conversation with someone with shades on indoors? Neither would I....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

You are completely right......except for Stevie Wonder....that guy gets a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's generally pretty annoying, but I don't think it's necessarily for "Look at how awesome I am" reasons all the time.

I can think of a few naturally fairly awkward musicians who I suspect wear shades as a sort of defence mechanism, so they don't have to worry about making eye contact or looking nervous or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Where you watching Jools Hollan then:D

the girl who was singing in spainish with the dark shades acting all European Chic on us

its cool on certain people but on others it sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

There was a time when it was cool, like a new sort of trend. Here's Dylan in 1965..(although he'd get away with anything really)..
    Bob%20Dylan1965.jpg
    51oJB3Fx5vL._SS500_.jpg
    Again cool..
    _41050018_daylennondied2_bbc.jpg
    Pass again..
    mick-jagger.jpg

and again..
    0.jpg
    am940291.jpg
    Cool again here..
    Ozzy%2BOsbourne%2Bozzy2.jpg

Fail here..Some people just don't have it.
    liam+gallagher+2006-737357.jpg01_main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I can think of a few naturally fairly awkward musicians who I suspect wear shades as a sort of defence mechanism, so they don't have to worry about making eye contact or looking nervous or whatever.

The perfect example here. The Belfast cowboy himself..
    vanmorrison01-x365.jpg
    van_morrison.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

When you're cool, the sun shines on you twenty four hours a day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

It's all part of the "look at me, I'm cool" side of show business. I take it with a pinch of salt, once their music appeals to me. What amuses me even more than the sunglasses, is guitarists who wear their instrument somewhere between their ankles and their kneecaps. That's hilarious.... but ya gotta be cool in this business !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Where you watching Jools Hollan then:D

the girl who was singing in spainish with the dark shades acting all European Chic on us

its cool on certain people but on others it sucks

haha, I was, and apparently she was in a car accident so light can affect her eyes in some way, though I'm sure they could have dimmed them in the studio for her...
    I dunno, you often see guys being interviewed indoors with shades on, and you would love to just say "will you take off those f**king glasses for 10 minutes!!"

seachto7 wrote: »
    I dunno, you often see guys being interviewed indoors with shades on, and you would love to just say "will you take off those f**king glasses for 10 minutes!!"

Same thing can be said about hats.... no need for them indoors, but when you are trying to be cool, practicality does not matter. You often see guys wearing thick woolly hats (suitable for an Everest expedition :rolleyes: ) in the summer.

Once they are not harming anyone, I could not care less what they wear (or dont !!) wear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Rigsby wrote: »
    Same thing can be said about hats.... no need for them indoors, but when you are trying to be cool, practicality does not matter. You often see guys wearing thick woolly hats (suitable for an Everest expedition :rolleyes: ) in the summer.

Once they are not harming anyone, I could not care less what they wear (or dont !!) wear. :)

true, i suppose there are more important things to be worrying about :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It also comes in handy for hiding those ripped, red, hungover/drug-addled eyes from prying cameras, in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think it doesn't matter, shades are cool anyway as long as one is wearing them not to look cool. So its the height of coolness to wear them indoors although this would then introduce a coolness paradox which leads to the it doesn't matter predicate.

I think it doesn't matter, shades are cool anyway as long as one is wearing them not to look cool.

Yeah, but a lot (if not all) of these rock stars wear them for the sole reason of being cool. Otherwise, as the OP says, there is no need for them indoors, not to mention on a darkened stage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

What about our own dearly beloved Bono - methinks his shades are spectacles masquerading as cool shades - with his money you think he could afford laser treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

It's generally pretty annoying, but I don't think it's necessarily for "Look at how awesome I am" reasons all the time.

yep. this is kind of a catch-22 for new performers. don't wear them, be blinded by stagelights and stares from the audience, do wear them, the audience thinks you're a twat trying to look suave.

Advertisement