Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors getting ridiculous?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Starting from the top of Cruises St this afternoon, at the same time we had :

Special Olympics collectors

Cancer Research collectors

Animal Welfare collectors

Now I'm not a skinflint by any means but this is a bit stupid, do they expect to get anything out of people with 3 different groups within spitting distance of each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The cancer society one is always outside Easons, you can tell by that horrific, shrill nasal voice bellowing "help the Irish cancer society PLEEEEEASE!" at you.

Least most of them were kids with buckets and not chuggers, god I hate chuggers, I blame them for so many shops closing down, bloody hippies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Collectors were stationed at every traffic light yesterday. A right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

And I happily gave money to them. The Special Olympics is a fantastic cause, and will bring alot of money into the local economy in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jimoc wrote: »

Now I'm not a skinflint by any means but this is a bit stupid, do they expect to get anything out of people with 3 different groups within spitting distance of each other?

It can be a nuisance when a lot of different ones are out on the same day, but today all three are good causes, and generally the collecters for LAW are not intrusive, and neither are the Cancer researsh guys, except when they get the professional chuggers with the clipboards out.

Did not come across the Special Olympic collecters , but then again I was leaving town before 10am so they may not have be fully out in numbers at that point.

Of the three my preference to donate to is

Limerick Animal Welfare

- Those guys do trojan work and are completely unfunded so they have to raise €30,000 a month just to stay open. They get no grants or aid from the state to operate. Have done volunteer work with them, and some of what they deal with is heartbreaking.

Cancer Research

- Great cause in an area that is becoming a bigger and bigger problem in Irish society. I have them below LAW because they receive funding from other sources other than donations.

Special Olympics

- Again a great cause, but if I only had the money in my pocket for one or two of the three, then it comes last for me, simply due to the amount of non donation backing it will receive, plus it has the advantage of a lot of high profile people helping out which will boost it's rate of donations.

I think being out of work and not having as much in the pocket to donate is what has caused me to be more picky in what charities I give money to. I now try to donate to the ones that do great work and gets the most value from whatever I can give.

Mr E wrote: »
    And I happily gave money to them. The Special Olympics is a fantastic cause, and will bring alot of money into the local economy in June.

To be honest, I think the Special Olympics is one of the few events that I would not care if it added nothing to the local economy. The good it does outweighs any monetary value to the economy of where it gets based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Special Olympics were only out yesterday, it was advertised for quite a while as their national collection day. And most of them were school kids so they weren't bothering anyone, except if you call the large groups of nervous looking children a bother.

The Cancer research people are annoying only because they emphasize cancer trying to get you sympathetic. And yer one outside easons pisses me right off as she seems to target women. Don't know why, we're the more sensitive ones?

LAW never harass anyone and generally stay out of the way. But ya of all of these i would give to LAW first. Saw a girl with a bucket, didn't have money at the time, later tried to find anyone, to try give them something, but couldn't so I don't know that there were that many of them around.

As someone else said chuggers are the annoying ones. at least the others tend to leave you alone, and donate if you want.

Special Olympics were only out yesterday, it was advertised for quite a while as their national collection day. And most of them were school kids so they weren't bothering anyone, except if you call the large groups of nervous looking children a bother.

The Cancer research people are annoying only because they emphasize cancer trying to get you sympathetic. And yer one outside easons pisses me right off as she seems to target women. Don't know why, we're the more sensitive ones?

LAW never harass anyone and generally stay out of the way. But ya of all of these i would give to LAW first. Saw a girl with a bucket, didn't have money at the time, later tried to find anyone, to try give them something, but couldn't so I don't know that there were that many of them around.

As someone else said chuggers are the annoying ones. at least the others tend to leave you alone, and donate if you want.

LAW will accept any donations in their shop on Parnell street as well, plus donations can be given online through their website.

The Parnell street shop will also accept things like cds/dvds etc that people don't want anymore as well, as they can resell them and get funds that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Just say no if you don't want to. Don't see what the fuss is about TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

I was more annoyed by the drunken knackers/addicts/hoodies asking for cigarettes and spare euros--three times on Friday. There seems to be a glut of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Mr E wrote: »

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857887

??

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

This is every week i feel when i go into town, i dont mind giving it to one collection but then your on thr next street and more people are asking for money it gets really annoying.

Okay special olymipcs is a good cause but to be at nearly every single traffic light in limerick is a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This is every week i feel when i go into town, i dont mind giving it to one collection but then your on thr next street and more people are asking for money it gets really annoying.

Okay special olymipcs is a good cause but to be at nearly every single traffic light in limerick is a bit of a joke.

Dont forget the dismembered gypo's on every traffic light too. They are a great cause :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

What happened to the little badges that the collectors gave you years ago, when you contributed to their cause. This way they knew you gave something already and let you alone.
    I gave to the special Olympics at the first set of traffic lights and then had to tell the collectors at all the other junctions that i had already contributed. Gets annoying after awhile.

Don't get me started on those bag packers. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't like people collecting for charity because invariably they harass you especially outside Thomond Park.

There are always at least 5 different groups collecting and they shake the tins right in your face. Very annoying.

The Sheraton tried to charge €1 extra to my hotel bill for a charity they selected for that month. I had to ask what that €1 was for, she didn't even inform me it was there. That's theft or fraud or whatever you want to call it.

Eurocamp holidays did the same to me a few months ago. I asked what some carbon thingy was and she said the company contributes to charity but really what I heard was that they collect money from us unsuspecting public and then hand it over to a charity as it was their money.

To that guy who sells poems or some crap on Athlunkard Street. WTF? He has a bag of cans stashed on the walls over by the bungalow, smokes like a trooper and then yesterday I see this well to do lady buying one off of him. STOP ENCOUCARGING THEM. BUT if you think we have it bad then try Dublin as they are everywhere and seeminly prey on women travelling alone.

Bag packers are the thing that boils my fvcking p*ss. OKAY your scout unit needs money to pay for heating, footballs and some crap. FINE but when you arrive in collecting money for the UL Chess Club then you can fvck right off. Im serious, it was about a year ago.

Chuggers, now that is a different breed of employee. Here is the link to the job advert as they are constantly hiring, because I imagine, of the high burnout rate.

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=970035

They are not collecting for a charity as such. They couldn't care if its for "Unicef" or "More Caviar for Dublin 4". They see the €700 per week Euro Signs in their eyes and harass you until you want to murder them. Here is what you do to p*ss them off. Entertain them on their "proposal" to siphon money from your back account and keep asking lots of questions and when it comes to the end and they ask for your bank details say "I don't have a bank account". That will p*ss them right off.

I am still unemployed but I have not considered lowering myself to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Berty wrote: »
    Bag packers are the thing that boils my fvcking p*ss. OKAY your scout unit needs money to pay for heating, footballs and some crap. FINE but when you arrive in collecting money for the UL Chess Club then you can fvck right off. Im serious, it was about a year ago.

You can certainly understand registered charities collecting on the streets giving people to choice to contribute but this Bag Packing thing has seriously gotten way out of hand.
    Long gone are the times when this only happened in the run up to Christmas, now every Friday evening without fail there are bag packers in my local supermarket. It's absolutely ridiculous.
    Firstly it's bad enough the bags are taken from my trolley without my permission while my back is turned unloading the trolley. Then I squirm as I watch the 12yr old pack my washing liquid with a carton of raspberries. Then I go to pay with my laser card, as i always do and realise the only change I have is sitting in the lock on the trolley so when asked if you want cash back I feel as I have no choice but to get cashback so I can contribute towards this cause so I say yes, €1 please. That is so embarrassing. As I give the young lad the €1 I ask what he is collecting for and I realise it's some football club from another town who have their own supermarket. C'mon like, it's bad enough I have to pay the bag packers of our own local football clubs all the other Fridays but getting caught out for other towns too, that is taking the pi$$.
    Every week I leave the supermarket and I make a mental note to write a letter to the supermarkets' head office lodging a complaint about the bag packing situation. Then every week I remind myself I meant to do that last week.
    It would be so much better if they stood outside the shop with a bucket collecting and gave shoppers the choice of contributing instead of packing bags making shoppers compelled to contribute.
    Seriously though, this bag packing thing has to stop. Think it's time to write that letter:p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

I will always give money to a charity if I have change on me - Limerick Animal Welfare, Special Olympics, Irish Cancer Society, but I get really embarrassed when I don't have any and they are shaking the money buckets under my nose. I apologise but a few of them will utter something under their breath, which I hate - it's mortifying!
    It's the chuggers that jump out in front of you on Bedford Row or Cruises Street trying to extract €30 a month out of you that bother me. I was repeatedly stopped by them when I was unemployed and broke, and they still wouldn't let up. God, even thinking about them raises my blood pressure! Sorry - moan over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There was also some Special Needs School collecting at Punches cross on Sat.

- I had about 500 buckets shoved in my face and in the window of my car last Saturday.

Why can't Fianna Fail and the Green Party fund schools adequately so the Teachers don't have to pester People all weekend?

The one that irritated me most was Castleconnell Boat Club out harassing People for cash - Why don't ye just ask your Mummies and Daddies to buy your boats for ye, I've no interest in funding your leisure activities? Or at least fundraise in your local area and leave us pay off the other 9 Charities in peace!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I don't give 1c to any of them, it only encourages them. (earn up to €700 a week :) )
    I was is pub one night + fella wanted 5e, I said no, it got to the point he was harassing me, what part of i don't have it do you not understand.
    Next time i'm going to tell pub manager if they want my custom keep out charity collectors.
    Can't enjoy a peaceful pint once in a blue moon.
    Limerick animal welfare normally sit outside dunnes don't ask + i.ll give to them, or limerick search + rescue well deserving charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Berty wrote: »

Well in there, drives me banannas, dunnes in jetland takes the p1ss, they're there friday and saturday most weekends. As for the sports clubs well in too, shannon rfc U16's tour, sure here's some money to help finance an underage piss up in france.

Well in there, drives me banannas, dunnes in jetland takes the p1ss, they're there friday and saturday most weekends. As for the sports clubs well in too, shannon rfc U16's tour, sure here's some money to help finance an underage piss up in france.

Sher what money are the underage kids teams getting nowadays, clubs like Shannon are no where near as wealthy as they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

PatsyStone wrote: »
    Sher what money are the underage kids teams getting nowadays, clubs like Shannon are no where near as wealthy as they once were.

Let them train on Saturday mornings and learn their skills.

- A trip to France skulling French Lager and vomiting all over the Bus is not a requirement, its a luxury.

The last few AIL games I went to there was the same amount of People off the Pitch as on - The rest of the "massive rugby Fans" were all at home learning the Fields of Athenry off by heart.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Raiser wrote: »
    The last few AIL games I went to there was the same amount of People off the Pitch as on - The rest of the "massive rugby Fans" were all at home learning the Fields of Athenry off by heart.......

Your on a roll today bud!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah sur' the aul "Fair Weather Supporters"

Raiser wrote: »
    Let them train on Saturday mornings and learn their skills.

- A trip to France skulling French Lager and vomiting all over the Bus is not a requirement, its a luxury.

But they do train on the weekends, anyway if they save me the trouble of trying to load the shopping into a trolley in record time before the girl at the checkout starts serving the next person on top of me I'll throw 'em €2 - or anyone who does it for that matter. AIL support is a separate matter but as a life long rugby supporter I see your point, the low attendance is the reason I support the club or any local rugby club when they pack the shopping.

Don't pay for your shopping until after your have packed it. Stops the checkout person going on to next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gracem

I too am not a fan of the 'can i have your bank account details?' If i want to donate like that i will do it but not on the street. I have collected for LAW in the past and I just stand with my dog and dont shake the bucket and shout at people. If people want to give money they will.

You're right I should do it, but the cashier just looks really bothered when I'm holding her up and I'm a wimp - I buckle under the pressure and pay up!

• Advertisement

Try it once, next time you go shopping, be brave :) pack then pay.
    I'm sure the cashier won't care one way or the other.

Advertisement