Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors getting ridiculous?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In fairness you just have to be reasonable - The next time some 15 year old dumps 1 litre container of Evergreen Fresh Parazone on your Iceberg Lettuce in Dunnes you need to turn to them and say: "Have I ever, ever, ever, mushed up your weekly shopping"?

- "Please stand over there or the Overgrown Scouts Movement is going to have a brand new reason to fundraise - for a Life Support Machine"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Berty wrote: »

To that guy who sells poems or some crap on Athlunkard Street. WTF? He has a bag of cans stashed on the walls over by the bungalow, smokes like a trooper and then yesterday I see this well to do lady buying one off of him. STOP ENCOUCARGING THEM. BUT if you think we have it bad then try Dublin as they are everywhere and seeminly prey on women travelling alone.

I've seen him coming into my local a few times for a pint of cheap Fosters muck. He always has that big dirty yellow high-vis coat on him no matter how hot or cold outside it is. My uncle reckons his coat has to be septic at this stage:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

There's nearly always some fellow sitting outside O'Neills foodfair on Upper William St (I think he used to be around Easons a lot). He collects for something to do with people with disabilities. He could be in a wheelchair, I'm not sure. He's tubby and wears glasses and a hat.

Every time someone passes by him he says something that sounds like "Sables Sables". Maybe he's trying to say "Please help the disabled"? I don't know. I hate when I see him from far off. As I make my way towards him, the words "Sables Sables" keep playing over and over in my mind.. He never fails to say it. Even if 2 or 3 people are passing in quick succession he speeds up the delivery to make sure everyone get's their share of "Sables Sables"..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

PatsyStone wrote: »
    You're right I should do it, but the cashier just looks really bothered when I'm holding her up and I'm a wimp - I buckle under the pressure and pay up!

Brave Up Sista! I never pay until all my bags are packed, in the trolley and I am ready to leave the checkout. Even when the cashier asks if I would like a hand with the packing I always say no, have a break there and I proceed to take my time packing my things the way I want them packed.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about holding up the cashier. I'm paying a good price for my purchases and the least he/she can do is be grateful he/she isn't being replaced by a self service checkout. The cashier isn't paid commission on the number of sales they make so take as long as you want ensuring you are happy with each of your purchases before you hand over that cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Raiser wrote: »
    In fairness you just have to be reasonable - The next time some 15 year old dumps 1 litre container of Evergreen Fresh Parazone on your Iceberg Lettuce in Dunnes you need to turn to them and say: "Have I ever, ever, ever, mushed up your weekly shopping"?

- "Please stand over there or the Overgrown Scouts Movement is going to have a brand new reason to fundraise - for a Life Support Machine"

A friend of mine tried doing that in a very very polite manner a couple of years ago. She approached the adult of the group after a young lad packed a box of fire lighters in with her danish pastries and asked if they could give the young ones a lesson in packing and explained what happened. She could have confronted the young lad herself but she didn't want to hurt his feelings.
    Well, the adult of the bag packers tore strips off my pal in the middle of the store in front of the cashier and other customers stating the young ones were given a lesson and my friend is very ungrateful and if she just didn't want to support them she should have just said. My pal was mortified but the lady walked out of the store with her going on and on how she could not believe my pals attitude and how she obviously doesn't understand charity.
    Shocking but True.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Brave Up Sista! I never pay until all my bags are packed, in the trolley and I am ready to leave the checkout. Even when the cashier asks if I would like a hand with the packing I always say no, have a break there and I proceed to take my time packing my things the way I want them packed.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about holding up the cashier. I'm paying a good price for my purchases and the least he/she can do is be grateful he/she isn't being replaced by a self service checkout. The cashier isn't paid commission on the number of sales they make so take as long as you want ensuring you are happy with each of your purchases before you hand over that cash.

You're not holding up the cashier at all, but you're holding up everybody else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Bagmagnet wrote: »
    There's nearly always some fellow sitting outside O'Neills foodfair on Upper William St (I think he used to be around Easons a lot). He collects for something to do with people with disabilities. He could be in a wheelchair, I'm not sure. He's tubby and wears glasses and a hat.

Every time someone passes by him he says something that sounds like "Sables Sables". Maybe he's trying to say "Please help the disabled"? I don't know. I hate when I see him from far off. As I make my way towards him, the words "Sables Sables" keep playing over and over in my mind.. He never fails to say it. Even if 2 or 3 people are passing in quick succession he speeds up the delivery to make sure everyone get's their share of "Sables Sables"..

He's outside Easons a fair bit as well and I even saw him on the promenade in Lahinch one Sunday last summer and he's not a wheelchair use. You're right, it does sound like "Sables" my daughter and I laugh at it all the time. It is some derivitiave of the word "disabled"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Bagmagnet wrote: »

Oh I squirm when I see him, I might have to pass him two or three times on a Saturday if I'm out and about. And I can't understand that he will continually ask each time I pass as I've already said no (mind you with my head hanging low as I feel near guilty!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

You're right munstergirl and LadyTBolt, next time I'll be brave and pack up before paying. I won't hold up too many people because thanks to the experience I've had packing my stuff at Lidl's checkouts I could win an Olympic Medal for packing.

Hehehe, the "Sables" guy is around a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and people like you are the exact reason I do my shopping late at night and use the self service checkouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

krudler wrote: »
    and people like you are the exact reason I do my shopping late at night and use the self service checkouts

Ah give her a break - She has a point also Folks.... It hardly speeds the process up when the Checkout Operator starts randomly flaking someone else's Groceries at you when you're trying to pack away your own. I have had to tell them politely but uncertainly that they will need to have some basic manners and wait 2 mins for me to pack up.....

Anyway, I'd rather wait for a Person for a few short minutes than deal with those w@nky self service Checkouts, designed by Morons, they are an fine example of an "unmanned" station which ironically needs a Shop Employee hovering in the background to override its stupidity and make it work....

Place - next - - - Item on Weigh Scale - Have you placed Item on Scale

FCUK YOU HAL!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

an ex worked in tesco head office and she told me that all checkout people are trained to wait until you are fully packed and paid before proceeding to the next customer. Lidl are awful I intentionally calm down and wont rush because someone is trying to make me rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

A friend of mine tried doing that in a very very polite manner a couple of years ago. She approached the adult of the group after a young lad packed a box of fire lighters in with her danish pastries and asked if they could give the young ones a lesson in packing and explained what happened. She could have confronted the young lad herself but she didn't want to hurt his feelings.
    Well, the adult of the bag packers tore strips off my pal in the middle of the store in front of the cashier and other customers stating the young ones were given a lesson and my friend is very ungrateful and if she just didn't want to support them she should have just said. My pal was mortified but the lady walked out of the store with her going on and on how she could not believe my pals attitude and how she obviously doesn't understand charity.
    Shocking but True.

Shocking on your friends part. In fairness, what damage were the packaged box of firelighters gonna do those pastries? :rolleyes:

Advertisement