Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x14 "Human" - **Spoilers**

Options
  • 24-04-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

I missed the start :( so Ill catch this on hulu tomorrow.

But from the 2 minutes i let myself spoil it looks like it would be a good one. I like Greer.

What did you think of "Human"? 47 votes

Top Notch
    0% 0 votes
    Goa'ood
    23% 11 votes
    McKay
    46% 22 votes
    Poor
    29% 14 votes
    Terrible
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Just missed it by 10 minutes at 9 PST, but watched it there.

WoW fantastic episode, great charector building in the episode, a lot of background to rush and a small amount of background to greer when he was younger.

I did not expect destiny to leave them on the planet. I really wounder what will happen, so much possibilites. SGU is just getting so much better in the coming weeks when I heard about it when it was first annouced I wasnt thinking I was going to be a fan, but I look forward seeing it every week. Its just a pity ill be leaving US next week and won't be able to watch it live anymore.

The only bad part of this episode has to be no apperance of Lt.Boobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Columc wrote: »
    The only bad part of this episode has to be no apperance of Lt.Boobs :)

She was in it though on the planet she blew the c4.

Yeh I thought it was good but come on need a bit more pew pew:p
    Great story and character building.
    I reckon rush will figure it out by either the start or the middle of the next episode.
    Any takers on that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ya Lt. Boobs on the planet was ok but wearing too much gear and not enough side views imo.

Really enjoyed the episode. Rush even got his own beautiful mind type effects :D

Didn't expect them to be left behind, pressure is on Rush now to crack the code.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

When the show started, I didn't think I'd like Greer, the character, or the actor portraying him. Now that the show's gotten on a bit, he's actually great to watch. But the show definitely needs more space battles, or at least more exploration of the ship. If the show's about the ship, show me the goddamn ship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Fantastic character building episode. Great to see that side of Nicholas Rush. I doubt that they will crack the code in the next episode so we'll get to see more of the guys on that planet and maybe find out what happened to the inhabitants. Maybe the aliens we've already seen wiped them out? It was also good to get more background on Greer. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to being stuck in the tunnels next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Yeh SGU has really grown on me

I was watching Atlantis there recently and i had to switch it off, so flat and 2 dimensional and worse of predictable :(

and hey ho they went thru the gate this episode! long overdue i tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

T'was a good episode, the screen before I watched it had jackson in it... I hate knowing stuff like that before I watch stuff :( Thought the '42' bit and eli asking greer if he's afraid were really good though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Excellent episode. Although still another Rush-centric one, it adds some much needed backstory to explain why he is the way he is.

I must be in the minority here but I've always liked Greer and looks like we're going to get more insight into him too.

Was nice to see Daniel back too.. is it just me though or do earlier SG characters seem "out of place" in this newer darker, grittier side of the Stargate Universe (:p see what I did there?)

I doubt Rush will have the code figured out by next week (bit too easy!) but seeing as I also can't let them (the writers) letting Eli, Greer and the rest die I think it's safe to assume that SOMETHING will be worked out before they run out of rations on the planet.

SGU has really come back strong after the break IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Does anyone have information on the violin piece featured?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

46 - a bit of nod to / nose-thumbing at the occurence of 47 in the Star Trek Universe?

The spider reminded me of the badass ones from The Mist.

Didn't Eli stop the ship going to warp by shoving his arm in the wormhole in one of the first episodes, so that some safety protocol would kick in and prevent it being closed? Couldn't they have done that again? (I suppose with the 37-minute limit of a wormhole being open, there still wouldn't be enough time to dig them out).

Hopefully Rush will crack the code soon enough so they can get on with the business of going home / exploring under their own command, rather than them being whisked around like on some coach tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I wasn't too keen on the Rush Dream sequence but only because I think it went on a bit too long and it was obvious he should have listened to Jackson. Not sure what to make of the chair modification. Is this the new Stones thing now? More ways to fill time up with 'cheaper to make' Earth locations?

I'll be glad if they can get control of the ship and get rid of the time limit in between jumps. The 'being left behind' thing is aggrevating how they say "Don't worry, we'll be there and back in no time" but still manage to be racing against the clock in the end. Reminds me of episodes of Sliders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Young: "Why was Sgt. Greer forced to fire his weapon?"
    Scott: "Uh, there was a spider"

:D:D

Next episode looks good:)
    Dinosaurs?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

****ing hulu:

Availability Notes:
    The first three episodes will be available the day after air; subsequent episodes will be on a delay.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I liked this. It was their best character-based episode so far and I found the reasoning for Rush being a bit of a bastard convincing. Good job by Robert Carlyle.

The planet-side plot wasn't quite as good and I was a little disappointed that the monster was something as pedestrian as a giant spider. Had hoped for something more original. What was better was that they were actually left there - wonder how Eli will feel about the oxygen levels now.

Not sure if 46 was a nod to Trek (any more than the numbers in 'Alias' or 'Lost') but it was done very well (up to, and including, his wife being in Room 46 in the hospital).

We've had a very good run since the show's come back and I hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So did Rush actually behave like that trying to solve some other code while his wife was dieing the first time?

noodler wrote: »
    So did Rush actually behave like that trying to solve some other code while his wife was dieing the first time?

As far as I could make out the first time round Rush had already been recruited into the SGC by Daniel so wasn't there when she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    As far as I could make out the first time round Rush had already been recruited into the SGC by Daniel so wasn't there when she died.

Ah makes sense.

I initially thought the code he solving in the lecture was something apart from the Destiny computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Good episode, I really like Rush''s character. Needed more spiders though, hopefully will see them in future episodes.

noodler wrote: »
    Besides the obvious differences (Jackson; Knowledge of Destiny; and the Specific Cypher he was trying to decript) I believe virtually everything else was the same. He mentions it. He spent 2+ years ignoring his wife to work on the Icarus Project while she died.

Anyway I dont know anything about a 47 reference in Trek. 42 in hitchhikers guide (mentioned) and 46 genomes in Human DNA (also mentioned). And then the number 23 (again, mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I noticed that Daniel mentioned making contact with the Lucien Alliance. I wonder if that is a cue for
    Robert Knepper's
    character to make his entrance?

• Advertisement

Dunno. At the very least it was a fill-in to half-confirm how and why and who exactly attacked Icarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Wreck wrote: »
    Needed more spiders though...

I'm hoping when the team on the planet get rescued they inadvertently bring back a queen. Then we can get some sweet ovipositor on throat action.

Mmmmm, hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Overheal wrote: »
    Anyway I dont know anything about a 47 reference in Trek.

It's fairly well documented:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/47
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47_(number)#As_an_in-joke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mr E wrote: »
    I noticed that Daniel mentioned making contact with the Lucien Alliance. I wonder if that is a cue for
    Robert Knepper's
    character to make his entrance?

When did they mention they Lucian Alliance?? Will have to go back and rewatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Great episode, although a little predictable. Why the hell would you go into an underground tunnel system to retrieve a kino which was there so you didn't have to go into the tunnels! Just leave it there, dont they have a good few of those? Why would the images it's taken be helpful in any way? None of that made sense.

Whatt's weird is I just wiki'd the 23 Enigma a few hours before watching while I was bored in work, only for it to appear in Stargate...coincidence?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robby^5 wrote: »
    Great episode, although a little predictable. Why the hell would you go into an underground tunnel system to retrieve a kino which was there so you didn't have to go into the tunnels! Just leave it there, dont they have a good few of those? Why would the images it's taken be helpful in any way? None of that made sense.

Well, it's simple Eli was just making up a crappy excuse because Chloe wanted to go down and explore them. Beautiful episode btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

robby^5 wrote: »

Whatt's weird is I just wiki'd the 23 Enigma a few hours before watching while I was bored in work, only for it to appear in Stargate...coincidence?! :D

Thats what is so different about this

Eli had to talk them into going into the tunnel, he was just plain curious while the rest of them (military) where like whatever

The fact they had to have a discussion about exploring something, when theres little point and main aim for everyone is survival, is quite different to before

If this was SG1 you would have Teal'c going in Zap gun blazing :D without even giving it a discussion ;)

As I said above, this was a great episode but I think they need to start fleshing out some of the main characters a bit more at this stage.. aside from Rush and Young (and maybe Eli) most of the rest are expendable.

I'd hate to see this turn into another Enterprise in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It was an OK episode... good idea in theory, but perhaps not executed well enough.
    The stupid getting trapped in the tunnel was completely unnecessary in my opinion as we already know that they are going to get out and the ship will turn around. I'd almost say that the whole point of going to the planet was for them to get stuck to fill up a few extra minutes of this and the next episode. Just feels SO forced to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Good episode, I was hoping it was going to be "56" not "46" since what has started to turn up in Dr Who and few other places.

One part that bugs me is if they can interface with the chair and install a buffer why can't they fuzz they system offline.....

Advertisement